Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

EWR assistance for int'l-dom connection

Old May 3, 2012, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

My girlfriend has requested disability assistance for this trip. We'll be flying on UA FCO-EWR, then connecting to separate domestic flights. Will she get someone taking her in a wheelchair from the arrival gate through immigration, customs, and security to the connecting gate? This will be a mainline flight, probably out of Terminal C, with nearly a 4-hour layover. We'll plan to eat in a nice restaurant in whatever concourse her gate is, before I get to my RJ flight, probably out of Terminal A.
Old May 4, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver
If you have booked assistance then they will take her through security,immigration etc to the gate. If you want to eat before going your separate ways then they can leave you at an eating place and collect her later.
Enjoy the trip.
Old May 4, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: United MP
Based on my experiences traveling, I would recommend calling to make sure it is clear what type of assistance is needed. (There is a sticky at the top of this forum explaining different codes.) Time and again, including last month, I have clearly spelled out how much assistance I need, only to arrive at the airport and the airline claims they did not know. It usually gets sorted out quickly, but a simple call within 72 hours of departure, may help avoid this. It could still happen, but it significantly reduces the chances. Do review the thread at the top of the Disability travel forum before calling.

Edit: looking at the OP again, I want to add: There will be assistance, but if you stop at a restaurant, or some other place, the assistants will leave. That would mean you need to help her to the gate where new assistants will be prior to boarding time. I don't know if they'll come back to the restaurant at some agreed upon time.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. She walks but is entitled to a handicapped parking placard; she asks for assistance to make it more easily through all the lines. If they take us to the departure gate, we'll be o.k. going to a nearby restaurant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.