Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Tipping the person that pushes the wheelchair

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

I had foot surgery last week. When I boarded my flight, I arranged to have a wheelchair meet me at the jetway to transfer me between gates at Denver.

I tippped the person $5.00. It was a 12 minute walk. Did I overtip? Undertip?
Should I not have tipped?

Edit. I should have known better. I just searched and found a couple of threads on this topic.

Last edited by dhammer53; Nov 10, 2011 at 9:44 pm
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Of course u should tip, its no diff than a skycap or a bellboy. How much to tip depends on ur means, $5 is completely normal for the average person
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Definitely tip of you can
There are wheelchair attendants staffed at airports who are not Airline Employees, but are independent contractors, who rely on tips.
If it was me, I would have tipped 10 bucks.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Definitely tip
Its worth the price
Some airports have contracted out wheelchair service.
These people do not work for the airlines and rely on Tips
If it was me I would have tipped 10
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: United MP
You do not have to tip, but there's nothing wrong with giving them a tip if you felt you wanted to. I am opposed to the idea that tipping is required for this, but I am not opposed to tipping if you feel like it. The airports should be paying a fairer wage for this required service and stop trying to force the costs on to those who can't afford it. They can make up the difference in costs some other way.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:02 am

We generally tip my wheelchair "pusher" if we have one (usually my spouse does that duty) about the same amount. The one time we tipped more, was at ORD when the pusher managed to get our bags, get us through customs and make it to the last connecting flight of the evening which was waiting for us in about 20 minutes. We gave him twenty bucks and it was worth every penny to not have to spend the night.

In Mexico, the guys who push the wheelchairs in the airports are paid only in tips. They also facilitate the process of going through customs at the airport and getting the luggage as well as a cab. We generally tip them around 70 pesos which is roughly five bucks.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53

Edit. I should have known better. I just searched and found a couple of threads on this topic.
:-)

I hope you recover quickly and uneventfully from your surgery.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: air miles, IHG, Hilton
It is unfortunate that these hard-working people have to rely on tips, but in most cases it is true and I always tip, $5 is usual for a short trip and we increase it to $10 for distance/service and kindness. Air Canada BTW, has its own agents doing this service and no tipping is expected (though I doubt their wages are all that good either).
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Katja
:-)

I hope you recover quickly and uneventfully from your surgery.
I'm coming along nicely. Thank you very much. ^

dh
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: Delta, American, United
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I had foot surgery last week. When I boarded my flight, I arranged to have a wheelchair meet me at the jetway to transfer me between gates at Denver.

I tippped the person $5.00. It was a 12 minute walk. Did I overtip? Undertip?
Should I not have tipped?

I think you're fine!
If you're rich, then $10 would be great, but $5 is fine.

It is a nice thought is all. Just because you are "disabled" with needing a wheel chair shouldn't mean you have to pay more money out of pocket because of it!

My elderly mom uses a wheel chair sometimes at the airport. She comes from a generation of non-tippers. I am the one tip for her. Depending on the airport and amount of hilly terminals, $5 is the min I give...
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta, American, United
Wink

Originally Posted by mimsky987
It is unfortunate that these hard-working people have to rely on tips, but in most cases it is true and I always tip, $5 is usual for a short trip and we increase it to $10 for distance/service and kindness. Air Canada BTW, has its own agents doing this service and no tipping is expected (though I doubt their wages are all that good either).
Do they really reply on tips!?

I'm not asking snarky, but seriously.

Are the people checking you in at the front counter making more than the wheel chair pushers!? Are the people throwing our bags out the shoot making more too!?

Perhaps I am missing a union covering those types of people as apposed to the wheel chair pushers!?

I am actually very curious about this.

I know waitresses make sometime below minimum wage, or they used to, because of the tipping, but I'm un-aware of the wheel chair pushers.

Please let me know! Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by DavenM
Do they really reply on tips!?

I'm not asking snarky, but seriously.

Are the people checking you in at the front counter making more than the wheel chair pushers!? Are the people throwing our bags out the shoot making more too!?

Perhaps I am missing a union covering those types of people as apposed to the wheel chair pushers!?

I am actually very curious about this.

I know waitresses make sometime below minimum wage, or they used to, because of the tipping, but I'm un-aware of the wheel chair pushers.

Please let me know! Thanks
As someone pointed out in some other thread, yes, they do rely on tips juust like waitresses, however, just like waitresses, the law says that if the amount of salary plus tips is below minimum wage, their employer must make up for the difference.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:36 am

The world is a big place, make sure you know which country you are talking about. In some countries tipping is prohibited, in others it might even be viewed as an insult.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: AC*E
It still kinda blows my mind that tipping is expected (in the USA anyways). As a full time wheelchair user who doesn't make use of the "pushers" (I'm an active paraplegic), I was always confused as to why the pushers show up at my gate and then often insist on chasing me through the airport only to seem really disgruntled when I would arrive at my destination and carry on my way. I suppose if they were expecting tips (for what, I don't know), this makes sense.

That being said, I take pretty big issue with the idea that tipping for services assisting the disabled is expected (again, I've only felt this in the USA). If an airport authority has so poorly designed their airport that some people can navigate it only with physical assistance, it shouldn't be the end user bearing that cost. Additionally, if an airline changes a gate and the distance suddenly becomes great, it shouldn't be the end user bearing that cost.

I realize this puts the 'pushers' in a bad spot: it's shameful that their society would put so little value on the job of those who assist those folks who need it most, but at the same time, I don't think it is up to those who need assistance to "top up" the difference.

On a side note, I'm pretty darn lucky to be Canadian as I've never felt the unspoken pressure to tip and in certain airports (YVR, YYJ), they have dedicated teams to assist with loading/unloading so I don't have to explain to some poor teenager how best to push the aisle chair.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by vliegle
It still kinda blows my mind that tipping is expected (in the USA anyways). As a full time wheelchair user who doesn't make use of the "pushers" (I'm an active paraplegic), I was always confused as to why the pushers show up at my gate and then often insist on chasing me through the airport only to seem really disgruntled when I would arrive at my destination and carry on my way. I suppose if they were expecting tips (for what, I don't know), this makes sense.

That being said, I take pretty big issue with the idea that tipping for services assisting the disabled is expected (again, I've only felt this in the USA). If an airport authority has so poorly designed their airport that some people can navigate it only with physical assistance, it shouldn't be the end user bearing that cost. Additionally, if an airline changes a gate and the distance suddenly becomes great, it shouldn't be the end user bearing that cost.

I realize this puts the 'pushers' in a bad spot: it's shameful that their society would put so little value on the job of those who assist those folks who need it most, but at the same time, I don't think it is up to those who need assistance to "top up" the difference.

On a side note, I'm pretty darn lucky to be Canadian as I've never felt the unspoken pressure to tip and in certain airports (YVR, YYJ), they have dedicated teams to assist with loading/unloading so I don't have to explain to some poor teenager how best to push the aisle chair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.