Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foot in a cast/boot

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Question Foot in a cast/boot

So I sprained my ankle pretty bad last week and have had it in a boot ever since. I've been on crutches but can walk without them, just slowly. I'm supposed to go easy on my foot and not walk too much.

Crutches are kind of big, would they be checked at the gate? Or can you carry those on? Ideally I would leave them at home so I don't have to deal with them. But then I would probably want to use a wheelchair around the airport to go easy on my ankle, and wouldn't have use of the crutches at my conference.

Any comments on what UA will do with my crutches if I try to bring them?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
They will either stow in their closet or put in the overhead above. They will be really good and help you get them down when you need during your flight. You can still get wheelchair assistance to get you to/from the gate so as to not wear yourself out. Safe travels.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:38 pm

baglady's right. Bring your crutches, request wheelchair assistance. Your crutches will be stowed on the plane (in the overhead if it's big enough, in the closet otherwise).
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

For security will I have to take the boot off and walk through, or just get extra screening in the wheelchair? I can walk slowly and gingerly on my ankle without the boot if necessary.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They will give you a patdown - probably in the wheelchair. So far they have done all of mine in the wheelchair but I cannot put pressure on my ankle right now. Allow some extra time through security for the pat down. Safe travels.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:47 pm

It is up to you, of course, but if it were me I would ask to have the cast swabbed rather than removing it.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Since I can walk short distances without a problem I walked through with the boot, then sat back down and had them swab the boot. Went pretty smoothly.

It must be rough needing a wheelchair at peak travel times though.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 9:45 am

Thanks for reporting back how it went - I'm glad it was smooth.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At LAX yesterday, my aircast didn't pass the swab test. They asked me to open it and they did a manual search. It wasn't too awful, but a few days ago it would have been. Not sure what they would have done if I told them no.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Welcome to my world. I broke my foot in October and have been traveling every week for work since. The cotton swab thing generally doesn't take too long and UA and Jetblue I've found to be quite accomodating about going down the jetway early, storing crutches in the closet, etc.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:12 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by whlinder
Since I can walk short distances without a problem I walked through with the boot, then sat back down and had them swab the boot. Went pretty smoothly.

It must be rough needing a wheelchair at peak travel times though.
No, it's only rough when you're new to the world of wheels. Glad that it went well for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.