Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Australian Disabled Parking Permits

Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Bronze

Hope someone may know the answer to this. Are disabled parking permits issued in Australia ok to use in disabled parking areas in California and Nevada?
Thanks in advance
Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Avis First
Don't know this for a fact, but don't think so. Try contacting the CA DMV.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
In theory they are not valid. However, its a miserable official that would book you.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:21 am

Programs: United MP
Check out this thread where an Australian permit was mentioned:

"Reciprocal recognition of Parking badges"
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385282
Old Aug 22, 2005, 11:23 am

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
I just managed to get a parking ticket for parking in a disabled parking spot in Oxford, UK for about an hour while showing my wife's Australian permit. As the Australian permit, doesn't have the international wheelchair symbol, I printed one and put that alongside the real permit on the windscreen sticker.

I guess I'll need to write and complain, or just ignore it and go back home in 2 weeks.

We did email the UK email address for parking enquiries and the response was that officially its only reciprocal for the EU (Australia isn't included, contrary to the info that has been posted here before).

OT. Marriott County Hall is only just "accessible", but the staff are only too willing to open the doors and work the wheelchair elevator through the hotel dungeons. . Once on the Thames south bank walkway, its possible to wheel all the way to tower bridge and across the river to St Pauls with no problem ^
Old Aug 23, 2005, 1:22 am

Programs: AA,UA,NW,CO,AQ,HA
Exclamation RE: Disability Placard

I have a bright blue Disabled Card that hangs on the vehicle's front mirror when I park in a designated Disabled Parking space. The placard distinctly states it is from Hawaii, and displays a large wheelchair symbol, and the expiration date of 10/08. Having just returned from Tasmania after driving all over the island, and if it was necessary, using the Disabled Parking space, and the card hanging from the mirror. It took the Tasmanian government almost two months to issue the Official Tasmanian Disability Card, which arrived in a blue plastic folder......card on the right, and a clock hand on the left. When one places the plastic folder on the dash, one must put the clock hand at the time one left the car. When I traveled to Melbourne, prior to receiving the Official TAS Card, I used my Hawaii hang-on-the-mirror card, and there was no problem. Ditto with Sydney, which I visited for a week.
Not that this proves anything, but if the police ticketed you for "improper" signage, my first reaction would be to take the ticket, and the disabled person whom the placard is written for, and face the Magistrate with the evidence. The Judge should throw it out, apologize to you and the disabled person, then fine the policeman that gave the ticket! Another caveat: If you were driving a rented vehicle, it doesn't matter where you go, the ticket will arrive at your residence!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.