Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Letter to TSA Regarding Disabled Passenger Screening @ SBA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT

Readers of this forum will be interested in some screening difficulties I had in Santa Barbara. The TSA would not screen me unless I was standing and not wearing shoes. A condition which is dangerous for me. I reported this to the Department of Homeland Security's Civil Rights Office

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392119
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:32 pm

Programs: United MP
If they want my shoes off they're going to have to take them off for me. If they want me to stand, they can forget it. I can't do it. Maybe you should have told them you can't stand up?

I also have Neuropathy but without the Diabetes. (so far).
Old Jan 21, 2005, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
If they want my shoes off they're going to have to take them off for me.
They don't want your shoes off? They always want my shoes off (I can't stand either). They take my shoes away, x-ray them, and then depending on how coordinated I am that day, either I or the TSA agent put them back on again.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

If they want my shoes off they're going to have to take them off for me. If they want me to stand, they can forget it. I can't do it. Maybe you should have told them you can't stand up?

I also have Neuropathy but without the Diabetes. (so far).
Yeah, I probably should have told them I *can't* stand up.

I don't have a problem getting my shoes off and on, so if letting them x-ray them will get me on my way faster, I'm okay with doing it. But maybe making these guys follow their own rules is *really* the right thing to do....

MSY, my home airport, is a "shoe carnival" airport. The screeners know me, but every week, I walk through the detector, don't set off the alarm, and they send me over for secondary screening....
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
When i took my disabled father over in November, who also has speech difficulties, he was handled very well at PHX after i explained his circumstances and was not asked to stand.
My only concern was that i was not allowed to wait within 30 feet of him, and therefore alleviate any concerns he may have been having. There seemed no reason to keep me so far away as i had allready been screened.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
When i took my disabled father over in November, who also has speech difficulties, he was handled very well at PHX after i explained his circumstances and was not asked to stand.
My only concern was that i was not allowed to wait within 30 feet of him, and therefore alleviate any concerns he may have been having. There seemed no reason to keep me so far away as i had allready been screened.
What I've been reminded of this week is that almost nobody understands the service standard.

Originally Posted by TSA Tips for the Screening Process
Your companion or assistant may accompany you during the private screening to provide you with assistance.
I'm just as guilty. In the hundreds of times I've been screened since airport security was Federalized, I have made accomodations to facilitate getting through security faster, but if you believe the site, TSA should be making the accomodations to me.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Katja
They don't want your shoes off? They always want my shoes off (I can't stand either). They take my shoes away, x-ray them, and then depending on how coordinated I am that day, either I or the TSA agent put them back on again.
They want them off, but I tell them to take them of me since I can't. They swab them or something instead.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 5:17 pm

They want them off, but I tell them to take them of me since I can't. They swab them or something instead.
I'll have to try that - thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2005, 8:38 am

I need to be clear though, that I really can't get them off. When they see my right arm, it's obvious. I think you should try, but if they don't believe you, don't argue, just show them how difficult it is. If you can get them on or off yourself, it's best to be honest.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:15 pm

Right after I posted the above, I had an attack of remorse. I can get my shoes off, so I don't feel like I should lie and say I can't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.