Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

SCL and LATAM with wheelchair?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Hello. I will be traveling from Santiago, Chile to EWR in December. LATAM seems to have the best deals for a business class one way fare. Has anyone had experience with how they deal with the disabled? I travel with a small folding electric wheelchair and can use crutches to get to the lavs.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Originally Posted by ZellaLamb
Hello. I will be traveling from Santiago, Chile to EWR in December. LATAM seems to have the best deals for a business class one way fare. Has anyone had experience with how they deal with the disabled? I travel with a small folding electric wheelchair and can use crutches to get to the lavs.
I have found them to be fantastic! I just flew through SCL a few weeks ago each way in LAN J and was pleasantly surprised. Since they essentially own the airport in Santiago they are very helpful boarding and deplaning. Just make sure they have ample advance notice, they're not great at a last minute request. You say you're going to EWR does that mean you're going to connect in MIA rather than take the nonstop from JFK? Do what you can to take the nonstop to avoid Miami (my home airport). There is simply no worse location for disability assistance on the planet. Also, as a wheelchair user myself I much prefer the LAN business class to American's as it has a 2-2-2 layout which makes the transfer from an aisle chair much easier and there is plenty of legroom with no claustrophobic feeling like the new "suites" that many airlines are installing. Also, as you say that you can make it on your own to the lav during the flight I would try to get a front row seat but even without one the crews are fantastic and really willing to provide much more help than US crews.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your detailed answer. We are taking a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale to Valpariso (SCL). This is why we are doing the trip one way. We looked at many options for this flight and normally I would do most anything not to fly into Miami or JFK. EWR is our home base and because of that we usually fly on United. However, a price difference of almost $4,000.00 if we stop in MIA is a pretty good incentive. I won't even consider flying anything other than business class for that long a trip but money does talk. Also, my husband will be with me and can help in MIA, if needed.

Can you tell me anymore about what to expect in SCL? Will there be a jetway? Can I drive my chair up to the door of the plane? I have a Foldawheel XL1000 (Wheelchair88.com). My husband just folds it up and puts it in the carry bag for them to load it along with the strollers and other gate checked items. I read somewhere on here that you must call LATAM ahead of time, not email. I also read that they are impossible to get on the phone. Hmmm.

Last edited by ZellaLamb; Apr 14, 2017 at 3:31 pm Reason: adding text

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.