Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Questions about CPAP Machines and using it on flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Fellow CPAP users (and I know there's a lot of us as I see you carrying the bags!). I have some questions for you:

1) What's the policy on bringing distilled water in carry on luggage if it's over 3 ounces? Can I literally drag a gallon of distilled water with me on the flight since it's medical related?
2) I know this doesn't apply to SWA flights, but for any flights with a power adapter, any reason why I can't use the CPAP on that flight? I know it depends on my voltage, which I don't know, but it's nothing crazy - just wondering if anyone has used it on a flight before? or if it's even allowed (e.g., a red eye when in first class)
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Not a CPAP user but I do know that there are FAA compliant models...which which would lead me to believe that there are some that are not...unless it is just hype marketing.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
There are several CPAP threads over in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel-224/
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by braddqq
Fellow CPAP users (and I know there's a lot of us as I see you carrying the bags!). I have some questions for you:

1) What's the policy on bringing distilled water in carry on luggage if it's over 3 ounces? Can I literally drag a gallon of distilled water with me on the flight since it's medical related?
2) I know this doesn't apply to SWA flights, but for any flights with a power adapter, any reason why I can't use the CPAP on that flight? I know it depends on my voltage, which I don't know, but it's nothing crazy - just wondering if anyone has used it on a flight before? or if it's even allowed (e.g., a red eye when in first class)
Might want to ask these questions on the TSA forum. Or contact TSA.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by braddqq

1) You can carry more than 3 oz of distilled H2O through TSA as long as you are also carrying a CPAP which includes a humidifier, but you have to declare both the CPAP and the "medically necessary liquid". I suspect that they would frown at carrying an entire gallon (if you are travelling long enough to need a gallon you should put most of the H2O in a checked bag); the most I have carried through TSA is 1.0 L (~4-day supply), in a neoprene bottle with a distilled H2O label peeled from a store-bought gallon stuck on the bottle. I also carry 2-3 100 mL bottles (purchased via Amazon) filled with distilled H2O in my 3-1-1 bag.

2) CPAP usage on a flight is regulated indvidually by each airline. When CPAPs first came out, most airlines made you notify their medical offices ahead of time and fill out some paperwork. Nowadays most major airlines do not require any special notification or paperwork, but some still do. I have used my CPAP without issue or paperwork while flying on AA/UA/B6/SQ and others; CX last year required notification and still hassled me a bit when boarding; QF required notification this past summer (and moved me to a seat with a "medical-grade" power outlet) but no hassles. IIRC NZ used to require paperwork but I don't think they do anymore. Having a CPAP which is "FAA approved" is not a guarantee that non-UA airlines will allow their use inflight, but most internal airline CPAP policies are not more restrictive that FAA regs.

2a) WRT Southwest, I don't think they will see much CPAP usage until they have red-eye flights. Even without a power outlet, many CPAP users who travel get a machine which either has its own battery or get a battery pack so that they can use their CPAP while on a flight (or camping, etc.), so not having power outlets will not prevent WN customers from using CPAP machines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.