Walker permitted on plane?

Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Walker permitted on plane?

My 85 year old father will be traveling RSW-DFW-NRT with a 45 minute stopover in DFW. I know the time is tight, he will have his daughter with him on the flight. He is on AA 1012 (Bowing 737-800) on the first leg and AA 175 (Bowing 777-200?) on the trans Atlantic flight, all in first class. Given the tight connect time in DFW he is planning on taking his walker on the plane, it folds to 38 inches by 21 inches once the wheels come off. 26 inches with the wheels on. He is planning to use it to deplane instead of waiting to be last off the plane and waiting for a wheel chair.

I know he is crazy for picking a flight with only 45 minute connection but the next flight does not have first class and he is stubborn on going 1st class.

Will the walker be allowed on the plane or will they gate check it? If it is gate checked will it be at the plane door if he is one of the first ones off the plane at DFW?

Any suggestions for making the connection a smooth connection? Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not believe it would be physically possible to use on the plane--I think that's wider than the aisle.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 24 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
He needs to preboard and they should stow the walker in a closet or overhead. He won't be able to use the walker onboard due to space limitations in the aisle. I would also suggest strongly that you call on his behalf and see if AA would rebook him on an earlier flight from RSW because that connection is beyond risky. As he's flying international F he will be able to use the extra time to relax and enjoy the lounge.

If, for example his flight comes into one terminal and leaves from another, and he has to walk to a train, take an elevator to the platform and then down at the arriving station, and then reach his connecting gate, he may not be present by the required cut off in boarding and be denied. Then what? It is not worth it. I can run between flights and I'd never risk it, never mind a walker. Put that in his head and see if he reconsiders.

I suspect if you call AA and plead your case they will reaccomodate him on the earlier flight. And, if there isn't one, go a day earlier and stay at the Hyatt at the airport. Peace of mind is worth the cost.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:20 pm

SFO 1K has given you good advice. In addition, he should request wheelchair assistance for his connection.

Edited to add: I just re-read the original post, and see that your father would rather hobble than wait for wheelchair assistance. I agree with SFO 1K - it's a real risk.

That said, though, when I travel business class I do find that the crew will hold back the economy passengers to let me deplane first...

Last edited by Katja; Aug 23, 2016 at 4:30 pm
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
I just flew from EWR to Panama and back while using a wheeled walker. For both flights I "gate checked" the walker just before I boarded the plane. The Gate Attendant gave me a tag for the walker both times. I had to wait a few minutes for the walker in Panama, and the walker was waiting for me when I exited the plane in Newark. It was very easy for both flights.

DD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.