Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

First time flyer with Cerebral Palsy

Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Hi I have spastic cerebral palsy but i can walk a bit with assistance. I'm flying with my mother to LA via Hong Kong from Colombo, Sri Lanka on 12 August 2016. In Cathay Pacific. I requested wheelchair assistance at the time of booking and it is confirmed.

My category is WCHR. It means assistance up to ramp right? My question is from which point in the airport will the wheelchair service be available? Will I get help with my bags? If not, is it ok to ask? Because my mom cannot push me and then carry her bags and mine.This is my first air travel and I'm so anxious. Any tips and information will be so helpful. Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:04 pm

Welcome, Su1988.

Cathay Pacific's definition of WCHR: WCHR/Ramp: Passenger with a walking disability. Can ascend/descend steps and make own way to/from cabin seat, but requires wheelchair for distance to/from aircraft across ramp.

So note that this assumes you can go up and down steps. If you think that will be a problem, make sure the airline knows that, and they'll recode your request as WCHS.

Be proactive about letting the airport and airline personnel know what you need, and don't assume that what's obvious to you is obvious to everyone else. Allow plenty of time. Are you bringing your own wheelchair? If not, an airport (or airline) employee will push the wheelchair and help with your bags. It's always a good idea to pack lightly.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Katja
Welcome, Su1988.

Cathay Pacific's definition of WCHR: WCHR/Ramp: Passenger with a walking disability. Can ascend/descend steps and make own way to/from cabin seat, but requires wheelchair for distance to/from aircraft across ramp.

So note that this assumes you can go up and down steps. If you think that will be a problem, make sure the airline knows that, and they'll recode your request as WCHS.

Be proactive about letting the airport and airline personnel know what you need, and don't assume that what's obvious to you is obvious to everyone else. Allow plenty of time. Are you bringing your own wheelchair? If not, an airport (or airline) employee will push the wheelchair and help with your bags. It's always a good idea to pack lightly.
Hi. I'm not bringing my wheelchair. I can ascend and descend steps and manage inside the cabin. However long distance walking is a problem as i get tired and my legs hurt. Since both HKIA and LAX are huge airports i don't think i can walk uo to check-ins etc. So will the wheelchair be available for inside the airport as well? Do you have any idea at which point my wheelchair will be available at my local airport when it's under WCHR category?

My other issue is, on my way to LAX via HKIA my transit period is just one hour five minutes. While I was relieved at first, now I'm paranoid about missing my connecting flight to LAX. How best can i avoid this situation?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Su1988
Hi. I'm not bringing my wheelchair. I can ascend and descend steps and manage inside the cabin. However long distance walking is a problem as i get tired and my legs hurt. Since both HKIA and LAX are huge airports i don't think i can walk uo to check-ins etc. So will the wheelchair be available for inside the airport as well? Do you have any idea at which point my wheelchair will be available at my local airport when it's under WCHR category?

My other issue is, on my way to LAX via HKIA my transit period is just one hour five minutes. While I was relieved at first, now I'm paranoid about missing my connecting flight to LAX. How best can i avoid this situation?
I don't know what is included under WCHR, but you better get in touch with your airline and ask these questions.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I don't know what is included under WCHR, but you better get in touch with your airline and ask these questions.
That's true. I emailed my booking agent but i think i should ask the airline directly
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:42 pm

I don't have any experience with Cathay Pacific, nor have I been to the Colombo airport, but generally you can get the wheelchair when you go to the ticket counter to check bags.

I wouldn't worry too much about your connecting flight as the wheelchair pusher will be taking you and therefore the airline will be aware of where you are. Where's your transfer?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Katja
I don't have any experience with Cathay Pacific, nor have I been to the Colombo airport, but generally you can get the wheelchair when you go to the ticket counter to check bags.

I wouldn't worry too much about your connecting flight as the wheelchair pusher will be taking you and therefore the airline will be aware of where you are. Where's your transfer?
Yes that is what my travel agent too said upon verifying with cathay. Im transferring from Hong Kong. Any tips on tipping my wheelchair pusher?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Su1988
Yes that is what my travel agent too said upon verifying with cathay. Im transferring from Hong Kong. Any tips on tipping my wheelchair pusher?
That is so country-specific. In the US, tip $5-$15. In Europe, don't tip. In Japan and Taiwan, I don't tip. There's a prior wheelchair pusher tipping thread you could look through for clues: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disab...etiquette.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.