Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Traveling with a handicapped person

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with a handicapped person

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll second the bit about allowing extra time.

A few years back my wife got hurt while we were abroad and was in a chair while flying back. It definitely caused delays--more so in the USA than in China.

We also had to raise a squawk when they wanted to leave her without a chair during a 5 hour connect in LAX. While she actually would have been able to get to the bathroom without a chair it would have been very painful for her. The chair pusher understood the problem and enough squawking got him to go off somewhere and come up with another chair for her to use in the airport.

PVG also had a family restroom, LAX did not.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Definitely call and get the disability assistance desk. I am disabled and always call as soon as I am ticketed and get relocated to a convenient seat (usually MCE on AA for no surcharge, even before I was Platinum).
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Definitely call and get the disability assistance desk. I am disabled and always call as soon as I am ticketed and get relocated to a convenient seat (usually MCE on AA for no surcharge, even before I was Platinum).
If you don't mind me asking do you have to show proof to the airline? And in what form? Thanks..
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Call UA's disability desk - right away! They have seats allocated for you including the bulkhead 7D/E which if not assigned will be provided to you. Make sure they add the WCHR request at the same time. Consider, transiting from UA to AA at ORD is going to take time and patience and MAY require reclearing TSA and the wheelchair pusher from UA to AA is going to have to go a long long distance - so consider a gratuity for their time.

You can google United Airlines Disability Desk to get their number.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by elg26
If you don't mind me asking do you have to show proof to the airline? And in what form? Thanks..
No. No proof required. That's the law.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Thanks to all for your input...big help...

Update: My TA called UA disability desk (for the SNA-ORD leg)....took all but 3 minutes for her to put the 2 of us in the bulkhead after she told them he had a disability. Thanks again all!

Last edited by elg26; Feb 12, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:20 pm

Thanks to all for your input...big help...

Update: My TA called UA disability desk (for the SNA-ORD leg)....took all but 3 minutes for her to put the 2 of us in the bulkhead after she told them he had a disability. Thanks again all!
Not sure about your overall relationship to the travel agent, but competent one should have known to call the disability desk up front. Maybe find a new one in the future?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes....UA for SNA-ORD ....and AA (regional) for ORD-TVC

He can walk...just not for long distances....so he should be able to go through TSA scanner and with help going down the stairs....
For AA speaking to or contacting a Special Assistance Coordinator (SAC) can help. There are seats on AA aircraft prioritized for people with disabilities and their companions; these are not at all restructed to requesting 24 hours in advance (in fact, I'd recommend calling as early as possible to get the best assistance).

How to contact special assistance

Call us
800-433-7300 (Reservations)

800-543-1586 (TDD reservations services)

Send us your request online
Submit a disability assistance request (link)
Link to Special Assistance page on aa.com.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by JDiver
For AA speaking to or contacting a Special Assistance Coordinator (SAC) can help. There are seats on AA aircraft prioritized for people with disabilities and their companions; these are not at all restructed to requesting 24 hours in advance (in fact, I'd recommend calling as early as possible to get the best assistance).
Just for the sake of clarity - this is also true with UA. You should call as soon as you have booked to obtain the seats set aside for this purpose. The reason you don't want to wait until 24 hours before departure is these seats are released for general seat selection at that time to anyone who is eligible. In the case of UA, these are Economy Plus seats so Premier Silver and higher can select them, as can non-Premier members willing to pay the premium for E+.

Last edited by SFO 1K; Feb 15, 2016 at 2:49 am
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: UA MP Premier Silver (sigh!), Virgin Elevate, HHonors, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Does AAA count?
You do not have to show proof, but if there is any question, a short printed or written note on Prescription pad or doctor's stationary with a statement is usually all that is needed. Having medical diagnoses for medications or Rx's is not always needed either, but in the case of any medical emergency while traveling, it is a good practice to carry the necessary paperwork to give to any medical personnel who may need or ask for it.

Also, if needed, carry any legal documents that have power of attorney, conservatorship, or authority to make personal, medical or other decisions if that is helpful. Of course, carry a list of medication, dosages, and frequency, and have the person's medical insurance information available.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: UA MP Premier Silver (sigh!), Virgin Elevate, HHonors, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Does AAA count?
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Not sure about your overall relationship to the travel agent, but competent one should have known to call the disability desk up front. Maybe find a new one in the future?
Was stated in OP that travel agent is mother. Perhaps a difficult time for all?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:58 am

If SNA-ORD, you're probably flying on an A320 hopefully. With wheelchair notification already done, you should be met at SNA airport with possible curbside wheelchair service. You could consider calling Yellow Cab and asking for a wheelchair accessible van (usually a Toyota Sienna handicapped conversion) if your FIL has a wheelchair of his own for transport. That chair can be checked in or at gate for free if properly identified. Otherwise, be sure to have airline and airport contact numbers to be able to get transport assistance as soon as you arrive. Once you clear TSA inspection, likely manually as mentioned, you should proceed to gate and check in with the gate agent, noting your FIL's handicapped status. Have them advise you what time they are expecting inbound flight, and when early boarding should commence so you can be ready.

I'd advise if you have time, be sure to have your FIL use the restroom nearby in plenty of time before the boarding - to avoid needing to use the onboard lavatory. However, be sure to bring plenty of water, perhaps a few snacks, and him taken any medications beforehand. This is to minimize any care needs while on board.

If the seats are the typical, he can be wheeled right to the flight door and assisted the few steps to his seat. If further back, the narrow airplane wheelchair can assist with getting him to his seat row. This will be particularly important with the regional jet as its possible at ORD-TVC that the jet may be boarded/disembarked by stairs or possibly a long manual ramp.

So very important to get AA assistance on your regional jet leg and have all of them aware and in agreement on what you should expect for assistance.

Once in TVC, hope you will have good transport to the home, and that plans have already been made for temporary or permanent wheelchair access both outside and inside the home. Falls and poor access are the bane of any disable or handicapped person. Also, have SIL contact the Michigan DMV to get a temporary or permanent handicapped placard for your FIL or herself as caregiver.

If FIL is staying permanently, then should have current doctor provide electronic copies or paper copies of medical records, new Rx's to continue medications and contact numbers for his / her office so as when FIL finds new doctors in TVC, transition can be made much easier. As a physician and caregiver for my handicapped daughter, the above has helped greatly when traveling or when moving on to another care center.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MP Premier
If SNA-ORD, you're probably flying on an A320 hopefully. With wheelchair notification already done, you should be met at SNA airport with possible curbside wheelchair service. You could consider calling Yellow Cab and asking for a wheelchair accessible van (usually a Toyota Sienna handicapped conversion) if your FIL has a wheelchair of his own for transport. That chair can be checked in or at gate for free if properly identified. Otherwise, be sure to have airline and airport contact numbers to be able to get transport assistance as soon as you arrive. Once you clear TSA inspection, likely manually as mentioned, you should proceed to gate and check in with the gate agent, noting your FIL's handicapped status. Have them advise you what time they are expecting inbound flight, and when early boarding should commence so you can be ready.

I'd advise if you have time, be sure to have your FIL use the restroom nearby in plenty of time before the boarding - to avoid needing to use the onboard lavatory. However, be sure to bring plenty of water, perhaps a few snacks, and him taken any medications beforehand. This is to minimize any care needs while on board.

If the seats are the typical, he can be wheeled right to the flight door and assisted the few steps to his seat. If further back, the narrow airplane wheelchair can assist with getting him to his seat row. This will be particularly important with the regional jet as its possible at ORD-TVC that the jet may be boarded/disembarked by stairs or possibly a long manual ramp.

So very important to get AA assistance on your regional jet leg and have all of them aware and in agreement on what you should expect for assistance.

Once in TVC, hope you will have good transport to the home, and that plans have already been made for temporary or permanent wheelchair access both outside and inside the home. Falls and poor access are the bane of any disable or handicapped person. Also, have SIL contact the Michigan DMV to get a temporary or permanent handicapped placard for your FIL or herself as caregiver.

If FIL is staying permanently, then should have current doctor provide electronic copies or paper copies of medical records, new Rx's to continue medications and contact numbers for his / her office so as when FIL finds new doctors in TVC, transition can be made much easier. As a physician and caregiver for my handicapped daughter, the above has helped greatly when traveling or when moving on to another care center.
Thank you for this incredibly detailed response.... greatly appreciate all fo the advice...

Wheelchair arrangements have been made... (he does not have his own as he can walk short distances fortunately...its more needed for the airports)...

One thing I noticed in the seat assignments....on SNA-ORD, as mentioned my TA was able to get us row 7 bulkhead from disability desk...however I did notice the restroom is all the way in back of the plane... I am assuming they wont let us bring him to F bathroom?

On ORD-TVC - I feel confident I, especially with help from my brother in law (ex military), can get him up stairs to the plane and to the seats....

Its funny, with all of the help and suggestions from this board on this thread...I feel much more comfortable now...so appreciated. What I do not feel good about is the 50 mph wind gusts that will be occurring in ORD and TVC on Friday

That could throw a major crimp into this travel day....
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For ORD-TVC, AA boards all regional jets at ORD by jetbridge, so stairs won't be an issue there. The issue will probably be at TVC.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
For ORD-TVC, AA boards all regional jets at ORD by jetbridge, so stairs won't be an issue there. The issue will probably be at TVC.
ok...good to know..thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.