Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Traveling with a handicapped person

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with a handicapped person

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: UA MP Premier Silver (sigh!), Virgin Elevate, HHonors, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Does AAA count?
Originally Posted by elg26
Thank you for this incredibly detailed response.... greatly appreciate all fo the advice...

Wheelchair arrangements have been made... (he does not have his own as he can walk short distances fortunately...its more needed for the airports)...

One thing I noticed in the seat assignments....on SNA-ORD, as mentioned my TA was able to get us row 7 bulkhead from disability desk...however I did notice the restroom is all the way in back of the plane... I am assuming they wont let us bring him to F bathroom?

On ORD-TVC - I feel confident I, especially with help from my brother in law (ex military), can get him up stairs to the plane and to the seats....

Its funny, with all of the help and suggestions from this board on this thread...I feel much more comfortable now...so appreciated. What I do not feel good about is the 50 mph wind gusts that will be occurring in ORD and TVC on Friday

That could throw a major crimp into this travel day....
UA traditionally reserves the first rows in Economy Plus behind the first class cabin or bulkhead for handicapped passengers and one caregiver or traveling companion who request it, and can occasionally seat another close by if you have status, varies by customer service phone or gate agent and availability.

As for bathroom access, when you get on board, speak to the purser or closest flight attendant, advise them you are traveling with a person with physical limitation, and ask if First Class bathroom access, which will be much closer, is possible, of course, with permission. My hunch is it will be possible.

Of course, you could aid this by doing what my favorite habit is - go to Panera or a similar bakery (less expensive than airport), or access the one or two bakery stores in the SNA terminal and buy some pastries and treats for the cabin crew and pilots. No matter what time of day, the crew is working hard to handle passengers, flight and cabin prep, and being professional, so a bit of appreciation shown by passengers goes a long way. So when you enter the aircraft, find the purser, give him / her the package with the pastries (sweets, fruit filled, and chocolate flavored like brownies, etc. go a long way), hopefully accept their thanks, and then ask about the lavatory access. Of course, don't forget to have a few pastries or even sandwiches or hot food for yourself, FIL, and BIL. Unless you like economy airplane food.

However, and this isn't guaranteed but I've seen it happen, after the above, you might just get a couple extra sodas or drinks, and if First Class isn't full from upgrades, maybe even an extra meal, and if really lucky, someone might even move up to First. Not likely the move, but you never know. Watch the upgrade screens at the gate to gauge how First is filling.

As for the wind, at ORD you'll pretty much be indoors the whole time, or should be if you follow an interior route (terminal 1 to terminal 3) and avoid taking any buses to other terminals for AA - the bus is ok but you have to go downstairs to do it, and finding elevators, walking, or pushing the wheelchair is already hard enough. Might be a good time to get a quick bite, stretch and relax for a bit. Can do so in terminal where you land, or after you get over to AA terminal. Flychicago dot com has terminal maps and info on services and amenities. I don't believe you would have to go through security again, but I haven't been there in a few years.

For the AA ORD-TVC flight, its a <1 hr. flight. But again a nice gesture to provide the same treats or pastries from an ORD source to the crew (probably only 4 max). The wind and more importantly, the cold weather issues will be more problematic. Weather looks to be 45 down to 38 Deg. F. with wind to 20mph. However, according to its website, TVC does have boarding bridges for jet service, while others have to descend stairs for small regional (re: prop) aircraft). So important to have some good cold weather clothes for the jetway deplaning and boarding at ORD and TVC.

From your comments, looks like your itinerary will be:
Friday, Feb. 19
Dep. SNA-ORD UA1129 Lv 01:45PM PST - Ar 07:50PM CST B737 (not A320)
Dep. ORD-TVC AA3303 Lv 10:00PM CST - Ar 12:04AM EST Emb145

Hope your family will have a good sized vehicle, of course, warmed up, to pick you and all the baggage up. It will be cold and dark, so cautious driving, and hope all gets a good rest afterwards. Good luck and safe travels to all.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: UA MP Premier Silver (sigh!), Virgin Elevate, HHonors, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Does AAA count?
How did it go? Hope everyone got to TVC ok.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MP Premier
How did it go? Hope everyone got to TVC ok.
First of thank you for all of the detailed advice. Was a huge help.

To recap: SNA was a breeze. Were wheelchairs just lying around outside so grabbed one. Took it to security and he was able to walk through and then get back on it....and then went to gate. We were scheduled for the 142pm flight but there was 1030 also to ORD which was still delayed by 1230 because of ground stop due to High winds at ORD yesterday. The GA switched us onto this flight and put all 3of f us on this flight and all together in row 7 ..d e f bulkhead. Which was perfect. Thank god we switched also because we may notnhave made the connection at ORD..(which took off close to 300 I think...we took off at 200)..the gates couldn't have been father away in the other terminal....

Got weird though as they started boarding at 100....then stopped boarding 1\3 into it and made us all get off with luggage to the ORD ground stop. We had to wait in plane until new wheelchair was brought back but it was cool as flight crew was super nice...told us to sit in FC until WC arrived and was chatty whole time.

30 min later we boarded again...took your advice and asked crew about him using FC bathroom and they said absolutely no issue....kudos to the crew....

ORD got slightly dicey as the wheelchair we ordered was not there when we were getting off...they said there was 2....my feeling the WC was poached by someone else... I was pissed but I pushed until we got one and a cart to take us to the other terminal for the AA flight....then had to get the AA GA to get us another WC to get onto the ORD TVC flight but we had the time....

TVC wasn't an issue...got my rental quickly and met them in front....

Thank you again and all the other posters... At the least you guys/gals made me feel more comfortable during this "adventure"....
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:12 am

Congrats on a successful adventure and flights. Happy to hear UA is still providing good service to you, and cheery to boot. Also, as a reminder, being safe and holding flights due to bad winds/weather happens and really is a wild card during the winter months. Glad you made it out practically on time on the earlier flight out.

I know how crazy and goofy ORD can get so I wasn't surprised, but I'm glad you persevered and got the service your FIL needed. That's the way it is as a handicapped person or caregiver sometimes goes, you have to keep pushing the system to do what it says it can and should do.

Hope you enjoy your stay in TVC till you head out. Stay warm.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:15 am

About regional jets and stairways for handicapped
We were flying with daughter who had broken leg and couldn't manage stairs, we hadn't expected to not have a jetway
they brought her onboard using a lift similar to those used to supply food etc
Old May 26, 2016, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
For AA speaking to or contacting a Special Assistance Coordinator (SAC) can help. There are seats on AA aircraft prioritized for people with disabilities and their companions; these are not at all restructed to requesting 24 hours in advance (in fact, I'd recommend calling as early as possible to get the best assistance).

Link to Special Assistance page on aa.com.
Was helping out a friend with medical issues & her companion today by booking their tickets on AA for a trip for them. All they wanted were 2 seats together so the companion would be available to help as needed, but the only adjoining seats were all the premium, up-charge seats. I called AA and got the first line crap about "Just check the box indicating disability and someone will call you 24 hours before the flight to assign seats" - why do airlines keep trying that crap when it has been clearly explained this is a disability issue?

I repeatedly had to request to be connected to the disability assistance desk. The first response was as above, I insisted the agent connect me and she came back with "My supervisor says that it is policy to not assign seats until 24 hours out" to which I responded forcefully but politely that that was absolute nonsense and a situation that was guaranteed to cause major problems, and furthermore that I have been through this routine before and that the disability desk can and will assign seats in advance.

Agent then went back to her supervisor who finally agreed I could be connected to the disability assistance desk. Next game was that they had a 45+ minute hold time and the agent would take a message and have them call me. I repeated my request, again agent went to supervisor, after a long hold time she came back with the offer that they could assign adjacent seats in the priority section and waive the fee, which worked for the pax involved.

But why do airlines make this so d@amn difficult?!

p.s. this is for a trip 5 weeks out on a flight that is already nearly full. Unfortunately it was the only flight time that worked with the schedule of medical conference they will be attending
Old May 26, 2016, 5:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
<snip>

But why do airlines make this so d@amn difficult?!

p.s. this is for a trip 5 weeks out on a flight that is already nearly full. Unfortunately it was the only flight time that worked with the schedule of medical conference they will be attending
Sometimes, the agents just don't know and rely on the tired old cant of easily remembered rules. I hear you - their help desk should be able to guide them if they don't know. Frustrating!

Otoh, you persevered and made it happen. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.