Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Adjacent passenger ask folks not to eat,,,,,would you oblige ?

Adjacent passenger ask folks not to eat,,,,,would you oblige ?

Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Offshore171
Ok but even if she was allergic to all 3, none of those are airborne, and a genuine allergy sufferer would know that.
Based on that comment, I suspect you don't spend much time around people with food allergies. It is entirely possible that some doctor told her "You must avoid all exposure to dairy, wheat and fish" without bothering to give her any clear guidance what that actually means in the real world. I've done patient education for families with a newly diagnosed celiac in household for 12 years now, and what doctors don't know about how to manage that would fill a dozen volumes. I had one woman come to me crying that cleaning the table with bleach after every meal was making the house constantly reek of bleach and was ruining the table. You see, a doctor told her to do that! I explained to her that gluten is a residue to be removed, not an organism to be killed, and damp paper towels would work just fine.

Maybe I'm just jaded by a recent restaurant experience where I saw a vegan activist behave so obnoxiously, she left several staff in tears...
A vegan was obnoxious, so you label anybody with special diet issues the same way? What's the medical equivalent of racism?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Based on that comment, I suspect you don't spend much time around people with food allergies. It is entirely possible that some doctor told her "You must avoid all exposure to dairy, wheat and fish" without bothering to give her any clear guidance what that actually means in the real world. I
This is difficult to reconcile with your previous comment, which I actually agree with:

"Most folks I know with real and serious allergies educate themselves about the risks".

This is why I think the individual in question was perhaps not a genuine allergy sufferer, but a vegan activist trying to annoy those around her.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:14 pm

I don't understand animosity towards the person. Real threat or not, it isn't like she told people NOT to consume the products, that she be warned so she can be away from the product.

I think it would be considered a common courtesy to do so since it isn't TOO much of trouble to let her know that you want to have the food 5-10 minutes prior so that she can use the lavatory or something like that.

No? Am I in minority for thinking this way?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by hpark21
I don't understand animosity towards the person. Real threat or not, it isn't like she told people NOT to consume the products, that she be warned so she can be away from the product.

I think it would be considered a common courtesy to do so since it isn't TOO much of trouble to let her know that you want to have the food 5-10 minutes prior so that she can use the lavatory or something like that.

Whoa! What?! Simple-to-do courtesy and common sense?
Let's get back to the pointed remarks and hyperRandian egoism. That's more fun. </sarcasm>
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by hpark21

I don't know if you are in the minority, but you're not alone!

I was just about to post the same thing. The passenger made a request that they be notified - not that other passengers refrain from eating in total. The passenger was willing to move if necessary.

I don't think waiting 10 minutes until the seat-belt sign is turned off is wholly unreasonable.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
The vegans are down on fish and dairy too. Is it any wonder they are cranky?
Vegan nutjobs seem to have a particular hatred for dairy, cheese, etc. but most strangely, vegetarians!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.