Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Adjacent passenger ask folks not to eat,,,,,would you oblige ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adjacent passenger ask folks not to eat,,,,,would you oblige ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
She could be allergic to wheat and not realize there's no realistic airborne threat.
Most folks I know with real and serious allergies educate themselves about the risks, if their doctor hasn't already explained the genuine risks to them.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by kevinsac
She may be wacko ... or not.

I would not refrain from eating (the same way I will not refrain from reclining!) but I will give her a chance to get up and move after the seat belt sign is turned off -- even if she has to go stand in the back of the plane.
My thoughts exactly

I find the smell of melted cheese intolerable, to the point of making me vomit, but I would never dream of asking a fellow passenger to suffer inconvenience for my intolerance
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: QF P1,UA 1K,HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Seriously? People like that just ruin it for everyone else.

I have a pretty severe fish allergy. And depending on my mood, I may or may not tell the FA's. I ALWAYS have food with me, as it's not the airlines problem to cater to me.

Now to be fair, if someone was sitting next to me decides to have crab legs, then I would probably asked to be moved, because the juice could get me. But I've never asked my seat mate from refraining.
Well expect if they are cute and want to cuddle.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: Legacy UA 1K MM (new UA has downgraded me to Premier Gold or former 1P), AA ground level, Marr X4
The passenger should relocate to first class seat 0A. On most aircraft, that would be the forward lav.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:12 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I had a flight where the woman sitting next to me was allergic to strawberries, which happened to be on top of the cheesecake. Being proactive, the FA offered her some other dessert, but at the same time took strawberries off my cheesecake.

Should I ask for compensation for missing strawberries?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I can see how wheat may be an issue. But dairy, and fish aren't exactly airborne. And I've only heard of the announcement regarding peanuts. I would consider it if, and only if, she made accommodations for me to have something tasty.

Beyond that, not a chance. If she was snotty about it I would ask if they had a fish sandwich option.
I've heard a similar announcement about tree nuts.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus, IHG Platinum Elite
I had a pax sitting if the first row of coach ask me not to serve the hot mixed nuts in f/c. (No peanuts in the mix) As we were still at the gate, I called Flight Service to get advice. They advised me I had to follow f/c service procedures (serve the nuts) and that the pax had already been advised of AA's procedures when she had booked the flight.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PTahCha
I had a flight where the woman sitting next to me was allergic to strawberries, which happened to be on top of the cheesecake. Being proactive, the FA offered her some other dessert, but at the same time took strawberries off my cheesecake.

Should I ask for compensation for missing strawberries?
I do have several food allergies, mostly annoyances now rather than deadly. I have an allergy to strawberries. They give me a nasty rash if I come in contact with them. It isn't in my best interest to consume them. Raw onions are much much worse. Eat a few get nauseated, eat more than a few projectile... well you get the idea. My brother-in-law is also very allergic to iodine (shellfish) and he can be around it without issue, but should avoid contact with it.

I would never suggest that the person next to me not enjoy something. You could be eating a giant bowl of strawberries, onions, cherries, and apples served on latex and I would be fine. Have me do the same and we'll all be in a world of hurt.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I had one of those nutters once. I was eating a meatball sub and she declared that she was allergic to the cheese and I should put it away. I calmly said "Madam, unless you are planning on licking my sandwich you'll be fine" and carried on eating. She glowered at me but ended up no redder or puffier than when she boarded the flight.

Last edited by roberino; Feb 11, 2016 at 12:27 am
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Women on last weeks MCO/LAX flight. First she asks people around her not to eat any dairy/wheat/fish products without letting her know as she is extremely allergic to those items And she asks if you did h?
My guess is that she's a vegan extremist (yes, this is a thing) using a fake allergy story to aggressively push her agenda.

Yes I know wheat is vegan, but she probably threw that in to make the story more plausible.

Other possibility is that she's the sister of the Bubbleboy off Seinfeld.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Arrow

Originally Posted by Offshore171
My guess is that she's a vegan extremist (yes, this is a thing) using a fake allergy story to aggressively push her agenda..
A vegan extremist who wasn't asking her fellow passengers not to eat meat??
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
A vegan extremist who wasn't asking her fellow passengers not to eat meat??
The vegans are down on fish and dairy too. Is it any wonder they are cranky?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
The vegans are down on fish and dairy too. Is it any wonder they are cranky?
Yes, I'm aware of that. My point was that she couldn't have been much of an "extremist" if she avoided mentioning the most obvious suspect, meat.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:18 pm

My guess is that she's a vegan extremist (yes, this is a thing) using a fake allergy story to aggressively push her agenda.

Yes I know wheat is vegan, but she probably threw that in to make the story more plausible.
I think that speculation is way off the mark. Dairy, wheat and fish are 3 of the 8 most common allergens and I do know people who are genuinely, doctor-tested allergic to all 3. It is most certainly possible that she is allergic to all 3 but lacking in knowledge how to effectively handle her allergies in public.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:40 pm

Ok but even if she was allergic to all 3, none of those are airborne, and a genuine allergy sufferer would know that.

Maybe I'm just jaded by a recent restaurant experience where I saw a vegan activist behave so obnoxiously, she left several staff in tears...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.