Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Adjacent passenger ask folks not to eat,,,,,would you oblige ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adjacent passenger ask folks not to eat,,,,,would you oblige ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by pinniped
Dumb question: are any fish, dairy, or wheat allergens transmitted through the air? I've only really heard this w.r.t. peanuts.

I'm happy to refrain from eating peanuts if I'm next to someone with a severe allergy. I like peanuts, but I respect the seriousness of that allergy (in some people), as well as the fact that there's an airborne risk associated with it. And avoiding peanuts is a reasonably niche request that I can accommodate fairly easily. It's not the same as "don't eat anything", which is what a dairy/wheat request basically is.

Even the people I know who are diagnosed with legitimate allergies to dairy, fish, or wheat aren't in mortal danger being around others who eat those things. They simply can't eat them themselves.
I kinda like Louis C.K.'s comments on this topic. Of course we need to respect the seriousness of a nut allergy. But maybe if we just turn away for a few minutes, it would all go away.

No, really, I get how serious the allergy is. ^
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Miss Swede thanks you. We do pre-board to wipe down the hard surfaces in our seats as well as ask the flight attendant make an announcement. Most FAs are happy to oblige. If we do see someone who ignores the request, we then kindly ask if they could refrain for eating them. Then we offer to replace their snack with something from our on-board pantry (like this trail mix) or a BoB purchase if it doesn't contain nuts. I'm glad to have not run into a difficult pax.

In other good news, Miss Swede passed a partial tree nut allergy test the other day. She can now eat almonds.
Now you see, that I can get behind! I always have food with me when I fly, as the airline has forgotten to load my food more than once, so I bring my own - it varies as to what it is - usually whatever Starbucks / similar has in its granola bar category or a sandwich. If someone had a genuine issue, and offered me an acceptable alternative (there are things I can't eat either) I would be cool with that. I have wondered a few times whose 'needs' trump whose - e.g. a diabetic brings their snacks that they have to have to keep blood sugar level (assume a non catered flight), person on plane has allergy to that snack - who gets to trump who medically?

I was once on a flight that told people they would not be serving the snack with drinks as it contained nuts and a passenger was allergic - so 300+ people did not get a snack because of one person. There were a lot of disgruntled folk on that plane!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless you are sitting directly next to the person with a peanut allergy you really don't need to worry about that either. Touching, smelling, or inhaling airborne particles from peanuts does not cause a severe reaction.

Simonte SJ, et al. Relevance of casual contact with peanut butter in children with peanut allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol.. 2003 Jul:112 (1): 180-2.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Miss Swede thanks you. We do pre-board to wipe down the hard surfaces in our seats as well as ask the flight attendant make an announcement. Most FAs are happy to oblige. If we do see someone who ignores the request, we then kindly ask if they could refrain for eating them. Then we offer to replace their snack with something from our on-board pantry (like this trail mix) or a BoB purchase if it doesn't contain nuts. I'm glad to have not run into a difficult pax.
What? A person that actually is responsible for themselves and their family? I thought this was one of those things that didn't exist, like a unicorn or an honest politician.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Maybe she was concerned you couldn't resist her female charms and might be tempted to give her a big wet kiss with tongue after eating your fish chowder in a bread bowl.

That said, I did vent several weeks ago about my BA experience and having to tell the jack-butt next to me to stop eating anchovy sandwiches or risk having me puke on him. (See post #4445 and on.)
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Was it
asks people around her not to eat any dairy/wheat/fish products without letting her know as she is extremely allergic to those items And she asks if you did have to eat them to please wait till she can move elsewhere in the cabin
or
Adjacent passenger ask folks not to eat
big difference.

I have no problem letting her know so she can make adjustments before I start eating. That's a lot different than not eating.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're that sensitive wear a mask! You have no business asking for accommodations until you have done all you reasonably can to mitigate the situation.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I would think that she would of chosen a seat as far away as possible to people. If she was sitting right in the middle of the plane I would think dodgy. If she really had an allergy I would assume that the flight attendants would be aware of it and THEY would do the advising to other passengers.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
Times a thousand. If she would have pulled that crap next to me I'd start munching on a double cheese pizza pie with whole wheat crust.

Originally Posted by enviroian
+1.

Ordering curry in an enclosed tube is very rude and borderline obnoxious.

Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I would ask her to stop breathing, he breath smells, and it is gagging me..
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Nope.

Sounds like a nut job. Probably allergic to nuts too.

OT, but I had a patient being admitted to the hospital that claimed to be allergic to caviar. I'm not joking. I told her "You're safe here!"

Last edited by tmorse6570; Feb 6, 2016 at 12:14 am
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Absolutely not. If she just is asking about peanuts, that's perfectly reasonable and I would comply.

If she is asking about 1 food group (all nuts, all shellfish, etc) - maybe, will consider on a case-by-case basis.

If she is trying to restrain the whole cabin on a 5 hour flight from eating pretty much anything , she needs help. The Psychological kind.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:49 am

A guy in F still at the gate was chomping away on some pretty pungent stuff. The FA goes up to his seat and in a loud voice "The rule is if you bring Chinese on board, you have to bring enough for everyone." Bada Bing.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Women on last weeks MCO/LAX flight. First she asks people around her not to eat any dairy/wheat/fish products without letting her know as she is extremely allergic to those items And she asks if you did have to eat them to please wait till she can move elsewhere in the cabin (after seatbelt sign is turned off).

So would you oblige her requests?
I would oblige her request to let her know before taking out and consuming dairy or shellfish, but as I'm celiac I definitely wouldn't even be carrying wheat products. I would also regard her statements about being that allergic to "wheat" as somewhat suspect, because the chances of someone traveling with a form of wheat which could become airborne within the cabin, i.e. flour, are minuscule. There might be crumbs from someone else's sandwich on the tray table or floor, but why would she be touching those if she has that degree of sensitivity?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I would oblige her request to let her know before taking out and consuming dairy or shellfish, but as I'm celiac I definitely wouldn't even be carrying wheat products. I would also regard her statements about being that allergic to "wheat" as somewhat suspect, because the chances of someone traveling with a form of wheat which could become airborne within the cabin, i.e. flour, are minuscule. There might be crumbs from someone else's sandwich on the tray table or floor, but why would she be touching those if she has that degree of sensitivity?
She could be allergic to wheat and not realize there's no realistic airborne threat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.