Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with a VENT

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Flying with a VENT

Hi All,

My wife has a tracheostomy done this year and is now on VENT (Puritan Bennet 560, very similar to the Philips TRilogy). She does not need additional oxygen, only the vent.
I read a couple of threads regarding bi/cpap plus some related to oxygen, but was not able to find any experiences regarding someone flying in a vent.
I only wanted to know what were the precautions taken, experiences during flight and communication with the airline previous to the flight.

We are wondering with my wife if it could be a possibility for her to get on a plane, at least for a short domestic flight.

Thanks
Lucas
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi..me again. Anyone here ever travelled or know someone that has travel with a VENT ? My wife has a ResMed Astral 150.
Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:34 pm

Heya,

So, yes, travelling with a vent is doable for many vent users. The best resources for you will be your RT and the airline(s) you need to travel on. The complexity will depend on your wifes overall medical situation and needs. The primary concerns are typically: reliable (foolproof) power supplies for the vent (there are companies who may be able to rent you additional batteries as depending on aircraft power is usually not approved), oxygen (even if your wifes vent is on 21% at ground level she may needs/benefit from some oxygen at altitude where the cabin altitude is typically 5000-7000 feet. Your physician/RT will have a sense of how likely this is to be a concern). Your choices here are tanks or a portable condensor (and it's batteries...are you seeing a trend here ;-) ), humidity (aircraft typically have very low humidity. She may need an HME or some source of humidity particularly on long haul flights or if she has a lot of secretions. This is less of an issue if she uses NIPPV rather than a trach, but it's still VERY dry air), and in flight approval for the vent (many are approved for in flight use, some aren't. The airline can advise you. But this need not be a deal breaker, because there are many vents which are approved, if your wife is able to tolerate a different vent in transit. Quick look suggests the astral 150 is likely approved for flight). Depending on your wifes condition and how 'vent dependant' she is, you may need consider bringing a backup vent, or at very least a backup means of ventilation (BVM). You will inevitably need detailed information from her physicians on her needs in flight and her suitability for flight. All this can sound like a lot, and it is, but it's doable. A quick look around the net gave me this older article on flying with a vent: ventusers.org/edu/valnews/val17-3c.html and this: google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUK EwjT6r6Y34raAhVO7WMKHdvzCBIQFgg9MAM&url=http%3A%2F %2Fwww.worldpompe.org%2Findex.php%2Fpublications%2 Fcategory%2F17-for-patients%3Fdownload%3D2%3Aflying-with-a-ventilator-in-the-united-states&usg=AOvVaw03UeC7c_LIzHOc9ak34BhT (Add 3 w's before those to make them work...weirdly won't let me add links)

Take all I have written with a grain of salt, I'm not a RT or a MD, nor a vent user, but know that you and wife wouldn't be the first folks to fly with a vent! Safe travels!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Hey, thanks a lot for the reply and the link. Yes, i have considered many of the things you mentioend , although not all of them, so thanks for that.

Even though we have travelled when my wife was in wheelchair, we have never done so after she became vent dependent (24/7) with a tracheo. I have gone thru the forum and browse the internet but was not able to find any actual review of an adult flying with a vent. A couple of months ago i did ask the RT and initially he mentioned that it shouldnt be an issue to air travel, although since we are thinking of a long haul flight, i will have to check again and probably ask him about the HME and backup vent, since i didnt consider this in the past.
In the webpage of our local airline it says that no mechincal vent is allowed on board, but i will give them a call and provide all details (inlcuding FAA`s approval on the vent).

Once again, thanks for the input, and if anyone has any other suggesitons or experience with this, i will greatly appreciate it.

Cheers
Lucas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.