Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

My Mom can't take the stairs: CRJ-700 into a small regional airport.

Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:06 am
Original Poster

I got a problem. I now live in a small regional airport, and from experience, I have boarded planes where I need to take the stairs up the plane. I have not traveled that often that I know which planes have stairs, and which planes you get a ramp.

But my mom can't take the stairs for health/joint reasons, and she's flying a CRJ-700. So...

Does anyone know if CRJ-700 passengers board using stairs if flying in/out from a small regional airport?

If yes, what type of assistance should she request from the airline? I told her to ask for a wheelchair, but how are they going to get the wheelchair down the stairs???
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
I got a problem. I now live in a small regional airport, and from experience, I have boarded planes where I need to take the stairs up the plane. I have not traveled that often that I know which planes have stairs, and which planes you get a ramp.

But my mom can't take the stairs for health/joint reasons, and she's flying a CRJ-700. So...

Does anyone know if CRJ-700 passengers board using stairs if flying in/out from a small regional airport?

If yes, what type of assistance should she request from the airline? I told her to ask for a wheelchair, but how are they going to get the wheelchair down the stairs???
I don't think anyone can answer this without knowing the airports in question.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

Contact the airport in question and ask them your questions
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
I live in a town that has a small regional airport - although it's not in the US.

For passengers who cannot manage the stairs, this airport has a machine like a modified fork lift. It has a platform (totally enclosed with railings and a safety gate, so it's safe) onto which the passenger in a wheelchair is placed. The wheelchair is secured, so it can't move on the platform.

The machine drives up to the plane, then the driver raises the platform, so that the passenger and wheelchair are at the entrance to the plane. The cabin crew open the safety gate and assist the passenger onto the plane and into his/her allocated seat. The machine then drives away and the stairs are placed so that other passengers can embark.

Of course, it is necessary to notify the airline in advance if this sort of arrangement will be necessary.
If you make some inquiries at your local airport, you may find there is some similar arrangement.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6

Call the airline (not the airport). Describe the condition and the help she needs. Airlines *will* help (not because they're nice but because they are obligated to under law) but most require at least 48 hours notice ahead of time to make sure facilities and equipment are available.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It really depends on the airport and the airline, not just the plane.

Years ago, a gate agent at my shall regional airport figured out a way so that regional jets (like CR7s) and prop planes could be boarded using jetbridges (the system that is now in use at many airports). But even at our small regional airport, one airline chooses to use stairs instead of jetbridges.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
When I flew out of CUN last year one of my fellow passengers in a wheelchair boarded a B737 via air stairs like this:

"I don't know why there's all this fuss over me," she remarked as I waited at the bottom of the stairs for the ground grew to finish. "I went snorkeling yesterday!"

"This would be more fun at TLV," I observed. "I feel like we ought to be singing Hava Nagila for you."
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
When I was on crutches, I was lifted up the stairs like the photo. I'm not little

The same was done for my mother after she broke her leg on holiday in Bermuda
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Many small planes will accommodate disabled pax by using use the same lift that they load the meals/beverages on, from the door opposite the boarding door. Make sure you make arrangements with the airlines before travel days.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:39 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This seems like a most apt thread for FlyerTalk's Disability Travel forum. I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

------
In many California airports, there are mobile ramps which can be wheeled right up to the regional jet's airframe. This allows all passengers to enplane/deplane via these ramps but from the tarmac. I believe that Skywest has provided these at some airports where there are mobility needs for many travelers. Don't know if other regional carriers offer them as well.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Everything that has been written here. At some airports, they use the forklift. At other airports, they carry you up the stairs. At still others, they have one or two jet bridges for the CRJs, and will re-arrange things whenever possible so that your flight will end up in one of the jet bridge gates (Ottawa comes to mind).

It all depends on the particular situation, but the most important thing is to contact the airline well in advance of your trip. Check the website: some airlines have an 800 number to call to make arrangements; others prefer you contact them via e-mail.

Generally, you will obviously need to inform them your name, flight number, and date of flights. You will also need to advise the type of wheelchair you are traveling with (manual or motorized), and how much the wheelchair weighs (approximately). Some airlines also like to know how much mobility you have, but that varies.

Last edited by ysolde; Nov 23, 2015 at 3:31 pm
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:14 pm

I've been at an airport where they have a very large & long ramp with 4 or 5 switchbacks that they pull up to the door of the plane. Then they just wheel you down the ramp. The ramp was probably half the size of the jet itself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.