Search

Travelling with a rollator

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Baec, hh , ihg
Travelling with a rollator

Hi

I'm going from Dublin to Boston next year connecting in lhr with ba.

I use a combo of crutches rollator with a seat and wheelchair. Not taking wheelchair as last holiday it got damaged. I've I've never taken my rollator before and ideally I'd like to keep it up to the gate and hand it off then as my crutches will be in my suitcase. Any ideas as to wether this is possible.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:26 pm

Welcome to the Disability Travel forum, rjh090384.

You should have no problem with this. When you get to the gate, say that you want to gate-check your rollator, and that you want it back during your connection. You will be given a gate-check tag (like the tags put on strollers/prams) for it.

It's a good idea to remind a flight attendant shortly before landing that you expect your rollator to be delivered to the door of the plane on the jetway, both at your connection and at your final destination.

If you encounter any problems, do not leave the plane. The crew cannot leave the plane until all the passengers have left, so they are motivated to help get your equipment back to you if you're still on the plane.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Just realised they will prob put me in wheelchair to get me on off plane and transfer quicker.

I'm really worried about it getting broken in transit. I'm wondering if I should just order another and get it shipped to hotel there.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:47 pm

If you're comfortable with that solution, that would save you having to bring it along with you and bring it back, and then you wouldn't have to worry about possible damage (which does occur).

Drawbacks include:

Can you get the model/size/features that you require and/or are comfortable with?
Will it get there in time? And will there be any customs issues with delivery?
What will you do with it at the end of your trip?
Will you be ok in transit if wheelchair assistance isn't available or is delayed?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: DL, USAir, UA, AA
I've actually have done this recently, it was a domestic flight with JetBlue to and from MCO but I didn't have any issues. They gave me the underseat basket to put in the overhead bin and the rollator was gate checked. I use a foldable cane which I stow in the basket and it made matters a lot easier. Just as a caution I printed out my own label with my name and cellphone # just in case. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 4:30 pm

I've used mine twice now with no issues. I just let them know when I check in that I need it o get to the plane door and then they take it down below when I'm done. It's easy.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much.

Fortunately thanks to a week long lot of physical therapy rehabilitation I am crutch or rollator free for short distances. I'm hoping over the next six months before my boston trip that I may be able to leave the walking aids at home!!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Bumping this thread. My mom is flying this weekend on Iberia. She gets wheelchair assistance but has an 8 hour layover in Madrid. She has a rollator. Can she bring it on the plane?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:18 pm

Are you asking if it can be stowed in the cabin vs below, or if she can use it on the plane? The answer to the latter is no. The answer to the former is probably. Even if it is stowed below, she can use the rollator up to the aircraft door, and it will be gate checked (like a stroller) and returned to her at the aircraft door.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
It does not need to be used on the plane, just stowed and available upon exiting.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
I am newish to disability travel. I am reading lots of the various post on FT. My issue is early on, so I am just getting to the cane/walking stick level. Had a placard for a couple years. Reading this post I was not sure what a rollator is versus a walker. Looked it up. For others wondering the same, here is what I found:

A rollator is sometimes called a "wheeled walker." It consists of a frame with three or four large wheels, handlebars, and a built-in seat.1

If your condition requires you to stop and rest often, a rollator could be a better choice for you. Whereas a walker has no seat, a rollator with a seat and a crossbar for back support allow the user to stop and rest when needed.

Rollators also have accessories that can be purchased, such as baskets to hold a shopping bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.