Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

"Inaccessible" travels/places?

Old May 5, 2015, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF, HH

Bit of a random observation/question for wheelchair users or carers ... are there any countries or places you would never attempt to travel to (or go to again) in your chair?

These days I'm currently full time in my chair or on crutches (amputee) ... I travel regularly for work in Australia/NZ, and that's all good, biggest issue is working out which method of travel I need - crutches are more flexible at the end destination, but wheelchair is a lot handier in airports!

Travelling solo mostly, when on them I use full crutches so unfortunately it's a pain to travel with both, and wheelchair usually wins for ease of travel and we're fortunate with airline assistance in Australia on the whole.

I've been reading through here as I also like to travel for pleasure when possible - either alone or with my family if they're available , and was trying to decide where to journey next ... it struck me that everyone has a lot of experience in many countries and how to/not to navigate around them (London bus, Paris metro etc).

Started thinking about the various places I've been - whether walking or not - and although I know there are many places I'd need to modify my travel plans for a full wheelchair trip (various parts of Asia, or Europe by Rail might be out for example) there's probably nowhere I'd completely avoid ... but that's only my relatively limited experience, so I was wondering if anyone else had thoughts on this?

Not sure if this info is of interest to anyone else, just thought it might make interesting reading if anyone has time to add their thoughts!
Old May 6, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I'm not in a chair and only rarely have had to push one there are plenty of places I've been that I would absolutely tell someone in a chair not to go to--although my experiences are old and things very well might have improved by now. I'm thinking of most places in the third world. Things are bad enough for pedestrians, let alone anyone in a chair.

Even the places that try don't exactly get it right. In the early part of this century I pushed a chair a decent amount in Shanghai. Newer construction often has provisions for wheelchairs--but they're often blocked and they're often far too steep. (One of the reasons I got the job--the person in the chair was my MIL, nobody else in her family had the weight and strength to handle the steep ramps or the uncut curbs (Yes, weight mattered. Strength can't keep you from sliding.) At least the curbs could be handled by two or three people working together, some of the ramps were little wider than a chair--two people working together would be packed in and three were out of the question.) At least when a problem became apparent businesses were usually quite good about trying to solve it. (Admittedly, it's possible my presence had something to do with that--I'm obviously a foreigner, she was obviously Chinese. Intermarriage was still very uncommon then and people did not tend to realize that I was helping because I'm family, not because I was an employee.)
Old May 7, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: priority club
I would never totally rule out any country or place out - usually Where there's a will there's a way.

Every bodies disability, interests and available assistance differs.
Disabled servicemen have raced to the South Pole but that is not something we would consider attempting even if fully able

On the other hand my wife who uses a manual chair and can only walk short distances has explored Pompeii and Herculaneum, been paragagliding in Turkey, hot air ballooning in Egypt, I have pushed a wheelchair up the temple of Hatshepsut and into the tombs of the Valley of the Kings, travelled on small boats in the Mekong delta...

I probably wouldn't revisit Venice too crowded and too many stepped bridges.

As Loren says often places make silly mistakes with disability provision, Handicapped parking spaces at the bottom of a flight of steps, Disabled toilets with ramps but no curb cut on the very high curb, steep polished marble ramps ...

We would love to do Machu Pichu and Lake Titicaca but that might be a bit too inaccessible/expensive for us

Last edited by mymsman; May 7, 2015 at 4:02 am
Old May 8, 2015, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF, HH
Thanks for that ... Paragliding sounds awesome! I've done Venice, but with my husband there to help - doubt I'd have tackled it on my own!!

I agree with "where there's a will, there's a way", it just got me thinking when I was on the Destinations forum lurking in various countries ... Shanghai certainly sounds difficult, I managed around Taiwan but was walking with a cane then - thinking back it would've been much more difficult in the chair but not impossible, just easier with a 'helper'!!!

Cheers
Old May 9, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: priority club
I don't remember any real problems in Taipei other than our first hotel room was a windowless box room with no room to move but we were given a better room after complaining but city was easy enough.

Hanoi was 'interesting' sidewalks are Scooter parks with no room for wheelchair so you are forced to share the road with thousands of scooters heading every which way. A scooter is often transport for family of four with mum holding baby on the back and young child standing at front peering over handlebars!
Old May 11, 2015, 9:21 pm

I'd start with "where do I want to go" and follow up with "how accessible is it" rather than the other way around.

I've been to (and enjoyed) Taipei and Venice. I've taken trains in France, Germany, and Italy. I know of wheelchair users who have been to Machu Picchu, Patagonia and the Galapagos.

Physical accessibility is important, obviously, but mental flexibility is an essential initial ingredient.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Katja
I'd start with "where do I want to go" and follow up with "how accessible is it" rather than the other way around.

I've been to (and enjoyed) Taipei and Venice. I've taken trains in France, Germany, and Italy. I know of wheelchair users who have been to Machu Picchu, Patagonia and the Galapagos.

Physical accessibility is important, obviously, but mental flexibility is an essential initial ingredient.
Firstly, a big yes to the order of priorities there - it's amazing what can be made manageable with determination, flexibility, and sometimes a little extra time or money.

Secondly, I think I'm going to FT stalk you now - one of my dad's dreams is to visit the Galapagos, and I'm still struggling to safely take domestic trips and very accessible cruises =/ Did you feel like you got the full experience there?
Old May 20, 2015, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by synergistic
Firstly, a big yes to the order of priorities there - it's amazing what can be made manageable with determination, flexibility, and sometimes a little extra time or money.

Secondly, I think I'm going to FT stalk you now - one of my dad's dreams is to visit the Galapagos, and I'm still struggling to safely take domestic trips and very accessible cruises =/ Did you feel like you got the full experience there?
:-)

I'm not the one who has been to the Galapagos, but it's on my list. Often no, you don't get the full experience, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth going. Venice, for example, is only marginally accessible, and I'm not sure that I would plan a whole trip around it, but I'm really glad I went and I would go again.

I'm confused - is it you or your father who is a wheelchair user? Things can seem very intimidating before you actually do them, especially if you're the kind of person who is more comfortable knowing ahead of time exactly how everything is going to play out. You may find that you need to step out into the unknown - but once you've done it, you realize that it can be done, and it's not as big a deal as you thought it would be.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:34 pm

Diamond Head in Hawaii is very inaccessible. Lots of SE Asia has various degrees of accessibility.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:44 pm

Myanmar - the pagodas mandate bare footedness and have many steps...
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Galápagos begins with transfer from the landing near the airport to a boat at dock or a dinghy to the boat; these can be tricky. Once on the boat, most islands are reached by dinghy (tricky accessing and disembarking from a boat) and landings - often "wet" landings involving getting out of a dinghy affected by waves and wading ashore.

On the islands the areas can be sandy beaches unsuitable for wheelchairs or broken, sharp lava.

Having been to Islas Galápagos more than once, I'd say it would be extremely challenging to anyone requiring a wheelchair for mobility.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by Katja

I am going to Machu Picchu in September. I have an incomplete spinal cord injury so am not wheelchair, but am significantly limited due to proprioception and other impairments. I am hoping to be able to do most of the sight-seeing, but I understand that the hike and major climb will be beyond me.

That said .. I still get to got to Machu Picchu! A priority place on the bucket list!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by lostinthewash
I am going to Machu Picchu in September. I have an incomplete spinal cord injury so am not wheelchair, but am significantly limited due to proprioception and other impairments. I am hoping to be able to do most of the sight-seeing, but I understand that the hike and major climb will be beyond me.

That said .. I still get to got to Machu Picchu! A priority place on the bucket list!
Welcome to the Disability Travel forum, lostinthewash. Your trip sounds like a blast, have a wonderful time!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
We had always avoided Venice, thinking it would be impossible with a wheelchair. We went to Venice earlier this summer, and found that it is difficult, but not impossible. I would say all of the major tourist sites are accessible. We had a good time, and realized we need to return, and plan more carefully, as there are places we still want to see.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:38 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Smile Venice update

I have visited Venice for many years and am posting from there now. The past two years I had difficulty with the stairs and bridges. On this trip I have seen much improved accessibility. More ramps along side the stairs. There is also a company called Sanitrans which is designed for people lacking mobility .email is [email protected]
I am happy that following two knee replacements in the last 24 months my mobility is now fine, although I am still a bit tentative walking down stairs. I surely do have a heightened awareness of the frustrations faced. Good to see progress in Venice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.