Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Etihad airways failed to provide wheel chair to my disabled mom!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

This happened at an international flight despite making a request in advance, and her ticket clearly stated she requested a wheel chair. It happened in Abu Dhabi during a lay over. I don't want Etihad to get away with this, any suggestions on what I should do? Aren't they required by law to provide wheel chair assistance?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:36 am
Company Representative, Etihad

Hi Guest, we are sorry to hear this. Please kindly send your feedback to [email protected] along with your booking reference, our concerned department will look into it for you. We apologize for the inconvenience. *ZD
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: United MP
Sounds like more than just an inconvenience to me.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:19 am
Original Poster

It was not just an inconvenience. She is not able to walk more than a few feet at a time, she had to endure excruciating pain to make it to the connecting flight gate after Etihad rejected to help her after continued requests.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
At the risk of sounds indelicate you came on here to find a way to have them "not get away with it" and the Etihad rep gave you a contact and asked you to send the relevant info.
It was then followed up with a general apology. Do you want them to insincerely apologize or do you want them to look into the situation, find out where things went wrong, fix it and also apologize to your mother for what happened.
Talk to the company and let them correct the failure. We'd all like it if everything went perfectly all the time but things happen. They can't fix them if they're not told and they can't make it right by your mother without looking into them.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
At the risk of sounds indelicate you came on here to find a way to have them "not get away with it" and the Etihad rep gave you a contact and asked you to send the relevant info.
It was then followed up with a general apology. Do you want them to insincerely apologize or do you want them to look into the situation, find out where things went wrong, fix it and also apologize to your mother for what happened.
Talk to the company and let them correct the failure. We'd all like it if everything went perfectly all the time but things happen. They can't fix them if they're not told and they can't make it right by your mother without looking into them.
Of course, they should contact Etihad so they can follow up, but using language like "inconvenience" just trivializes what happened. Being deprived of mobility is much, much more than that.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
I do few trips a year on EY via AUH, every time i usually see a long line of wheelchairs waiting for flights, especially from the Indian subcontinent. In a matter of fact i see more wheelchairs in AUH than any airport in the world.
Few years ago i flew with a lady who needed a wheelchair to CDG, we did have to wait for over an hour for one, at the time they (AF) was subcontracting the wheelchair and only 2 wheelchairs were available to serve all flights.

I suggest to follow up with EY, as per message above, see what went wrong, and what EY is offering.
Please keep us informed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.