Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with a power chair

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Flying with a power chair

Hi Everyone,

I am a power chair user. I've visited the USA (specifically New York City) a number of times now but since my last visit I have a new chair.

The airline I'm flying with this time says that my chair must be capable of disassembly into constituent parts weighing no more than 120kg each. However my chair is overweight even with footplates, backrest and cushion removed.

So at the moment I'm in panic mode

Have anyone else had this problem and if you did how did you overcome it??
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:35 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Which airline is it, and where are you flying from?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: United MP
It might be rules of that particular county or airline. I haven't heard of that rule before.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
It might be rules of that particular county or airline. I haven't heard of that rule before.
It sounds like a safety regulation--they probably have a certain number of people involved and don't want any parts that are too heavy for that size group to safely lift.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:24 pm

Or it may be related to the size/cargo capacity of the aircraft. We may be able to help more if you can provide more information about the airline, and where you're flying from.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Katja
Or it may be related to the size/cargo capacity of the aircraft. We may be able to help more if you can provide more information about the airline, and where you're flying from.
Why would cargo capacity matter? They're going to take all the parts no matter how many pieces it's in.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Why would cargo capacity matter? They're going to take all the parts no matter how many pieces it's in.
I phrased it poorly - I was thinking about some of the restrictions on power chairs that are related to the size of the opening the chair has to fit through.

Since it's a weight restriction, not a size restriction, you're probably right that it has more to do with lifting than fitting.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Katja
I phrased it poorly - I was thinking about some of the restrictions on power chairs that are related to the size of the opening the chair has to fit through.

Since it's a weight restriction, not a size restriction, you're probably right that it has more to do with lifting than fitting.
It occurs to me it could also be related to the strength of tether points.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all - I've been down with the stomach bug all week. Well one bit of good news is that the airline are going to let me fly! It was a health and safety thing but the people who provide disability assistance in the airport have a word with them and they are going to put on extra staff for the lift on/off so that my holiday can go ahead! So my story has a happy ending!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:46 pm

Great to hear! Have a good trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.