Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Closed Captioning on AA (or lack of)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA gold

Recently I flew JFK-LAX-KOA on AA on their newest aircraft, and probably one of their oldest, the A321T and 757.

On the A321T I was quite surprised to find there are no options for closed-captioning (or subtitles) on their funky IFE, I thought I must have missed something but the cabin crew confirmed there's nothing at all on the A321T.

I sent an email to their customer relations about this in case I have missed something, or whether there is an option to request a tablet prior to flight or any other ways of getting access to entertainment that others enjoy, pointing out I have a number of J flights coming up this summer. Below is there response.

Is it true, does the vast enterprise of AA only have close captioning on their 773s? This seems to be the opposite of what I get on BA, QF, MH, CX - even QR had a couple of movies subtitled though it is hard to find.

I can't say I'm looking forward to my flights in the summer now that I know I get zero entertainment.

Originally Posted by AA.com
Thank you for taking the time to write. We regret your disappointment that closed captioning entertainment is not available on our new A321T aircraft. Closed captioned videos are available on our 777-300 aircraft only which can be selected via a Menu Bar. No advance notice is required. Please know your comments have been shared with the appropriate management personnel in Inflight Products to be considered regarding future enhancements.

Mr. Stez, we appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you aboard soon. It is always a pleasure to serve you.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:35 pm

Sounds like a giant leap forward into the past :-(.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Katja
Sounds like a giant leap forward into the past :-(.
It does seem that way, I still can't believe that AA only have this option on the 773s ; hopefully one of the AA frequent flyers will prove that customer service is wrong on this occasion.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Fast forward eight months, and flown again KOA-LAX-JFK on AA, but this time I ended up in F on the A321T three-class plane. Still no subtitles.

Even AS can supply CC on their tablets for a couple of movies.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I use a blue tooth system with my newest hearing aids. The blue tooth is not allowed to be used on the plane. That puts me out of the movies, info on the safety videos. Etc. When I asked I a very recent AA flight SFO-DFW for a solution, I was advised to use offered ear bugs and turn up the volume. That was a really dumb idea with no hope of it working.

I'm feeling sad about this.

Last edited by oldpenny16; Aug 30, 2015 at 10:33 am
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I use a blue tooth system with my newest hearing aids. The blue tooth is not allowed to be used on the plane. That puts me out of the movies, info on the safety videos. Etc. When I asked I a very recent AA flight SFO-DFW for a solution, I was advised to use offered ear bugs and turn up the volume. That was a really dumb idea with no hope of it working.

All of the safety videos are subtitled, unless you have experinced a specific video that does not. Please let the working crew know your experiences, and how we can better help you
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks

Originally Posted by skylady
All of the safety videos are subtitled, unless you have experinced a specific video that does not. Please let the working crew know your experiences, and how we can better help you
I think this will be a more common issue as more and more folks get hearing aids with blue tooth capabilities.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think this will be a more common issue as more and more folks get hearing aids with blue tooth capabilities.
Proving safety as required by FAA may be the challenge, as Bluetooth uses as many as 79 channels (via frequency hopping) within the 83 MHz wide 2.4 GHz band. I wonder if hearing aid manufacturers have agreed to use one specific channel?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond

The FAA amended its rules in 2013 to allow Bluetooth. Not sure why a carrier would not permit its use. https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...9&newsId=15254
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most interesting!

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
The FAA amended its rules in 2013 to allow Bluetooth. Not sure why a carrier would not permit its use. https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...9&newsId=15254
My use of Bluetooth would be difficult for anyone just to see offhand, But as my hearing aids require my iPhone for use, putting the iPhone into airplane mode shuts that off.

My new Apple Watch is yet another issue. I've just been wearing it letting it do what it pleases.

Having techie hearing aids with Bluetooth has spoiled me for the old fashioned sort.

Closed caption is not always easy to see and understand. Depends on the size of the airplane and the tech offers.

I'm really left out of information on mist regional jets.

Thanks to all who've helped on this issue!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
My use of Bluetooth would be difficult for anyone just to see offhand, But as my hearing aids require my iPhone for use, putting the iPhone into airplane mode shuts that off.
Once you put your iPhone in airplane mode, turn Bluetooth back on - the phone stays in airplane mode for cellular purposes (which is what the FAA cares about) and you can still use Bluetooth. I do it all the time.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Once you put your iPhone in airplane mode, turn Bluetooth back on - the phone stays in airplane mode for cellular purposes (which is what the FAA cares about) and you can still use Bluetooth. I do it all the time.
My Apple Watch has a pairing function which, if turned on puts the watch in airplane mode when that is done to my iPhone. By making sure that pairing isn't on, I can do as you suggest.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Seems a celebrity on "America's Next Top Model", Nyle DiMarco, who is deaf isn't happy with American Airlines for their lack of subtitles/closed captioning either.

"Hundreds of people have taken to social media to express their disappointment with American Airlines after the airline responded to a query on the accessibility of its inflight entertainment."

http://www.mediaaccess.org.au/latest...-entertainment

https://www.facebook.com/NyleDiMarco...063384063699:0
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Originally Posted by skylady
I know the OP is talking about IFE in general, which unfortunately, is not required to be closed captioned. However, even though I'm not hearing impaired I've started noticing more flights with on AA with no CC during the safety briefing. I don't bother with AA customer service and do directly to the DOT complaint page as that is a direct violation of the ACAA, 14 CPR 382.47(b)(1). The airline will be fined each time.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by rollthere
I know the OP is talking about IFE in general, which unfortunately, is not required to be closed captioned. However, even though I'm not hearing impaired I've started noticing more flights with on AA with no CC during the safety briefing. I don't bother with AA customer service and do directly to the DOT complaint page as that is a direct violation of the ACAA, 14 CPR 382.47(b)(1). The airline will be fined each time.
Hopefully, it will get results!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.