Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Family Member on Hemodialysis - which companies can arrange dialysis for tourists?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family Member on Hemodialysis - which companies can arrange dialysis for tourists?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

My father, is on hemodialysis, for kidney dysfunction.

When travelling, he can arrange dialysis easily enough on cruise ships (the ones which have dialysis facilities).

The question is which companies arrange for dialysis in North America and around the world? Do they have web sites? Are there reviews on these companies arranging dialysis for tourists?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson

You know i think they are more prevalent and easier to arrange on cruises because it is something that you are doing for days and weeks. Dialysis is complex and records need to be kept and volumes from the last encounter not to mention that each Dialysis is ordered by a physician. Our health care system is quite fragmented to accomodate such a task and not to mention that the most common Dialysis centers are privately owned. You can probably find places to do it in each city that your dad is visiting but that will take much planning on your part and whether covered by your insurance a whole other issue.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist

try http://www.ultracare-dialysis.com/FreseniusMedicalServices/PatientTravelServices.aspx

good luck! Otherwise, try asking your nephrologist. They might be able to recommend someone that is where you are going. Nice to have a local contact in case your labs are out of whack due to eating out more.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: SPG
will take some planning

Couldn't agree more with what the others have said...
I would ask your MD if he is aware of any MD's in the cities being visited; or contact a local med school/university/hospital, perhaps that can be suggested by the hotel where you may be staying.

I'd try to have a copy of recent records to keep with...and not put in a checked bag.

Might get some help from a social worker at a local hospital as well.
Would also want to know how it all works from a payment perspective so there are no surprises along the way.

Good luck...happy adventures!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:10 pm

Please check with the "disability travel" forum--- a dialysis traveler has posted his experiences.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:13 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
8dimsum's suggestion is a good one. Let me move this to the Disability Travel forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Be sure to read one member's recent experience with in-center hemodyalisis in this forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disab...odialysis.html
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
My father, is on hemodialysis, for kidney dysfunction.

When travelling, he can arrange dialysis easily enough on cruise ships (the ones which have dialysis facilities).

The question is which companies arrange for dialysis in North America and around the world? Do they have web sites? Are there reviews on these companies arranging dialysis for tourists?
Generally my process to find a center is to try to find a website for a local large dialysis center company. So far I've had good luck with Nephrocare internationally, which is seems to be the Fresenius Medical Care brand for dialysis centers. However not all centers/countries are listed on that site. For example Nephrocare Chile is not shown. Then I email some of the centers that would work for me.

Another good site is http://www.globaldialysis.com/, but that is hit or miss. Few of the listings have reviews and the contact information doesn't seem very complete.

In the US I start with the DaVita website, but thats just because I'm at a DaVita center and I assume coordination is easiest for my social worker is easiest with DaVita Centers. Also note I usually find the centers via Google Maps in the US.

Finally your center might be able to help coordinate travel, even internationally. Just recently i figured out that although my social worker helps with US travel DaVita will help internationally, just my social worker didn't realize that... So consider that if your center is part of a larger organization they might offer services that your local center is not aware of.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
If your father is visiting New York City, please let me know.

I know a nephrologist (who treated my mother and brother among others) who also runs a dialysis center and I'm quite friendly with him and would be happy to make an enquiry. The center is quite nice and the staff are very competent I should add.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.