Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Miscellaneous observations while flying with a wheelchair

Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

In the last 15 days, I've taken 12 flights, and gone through US security 5 times, Dutch security once, and German security twice. I estimate I've spent between 6-8 hours waiting for aisle chairs (the narrow chair used to get a wheelchair user on or off a plane). I managed to hang on to my wheelchair tools every time, with one close call in the Netherlands. I've had about 4 cursory pat-downs, 3 pretty thorough pat-downs, and 1 offensive pat-down that had me practicing calming deep breaths. Miraculously, the wheelchair remained undamaged.

I had to get off one plane by bumping down the aisle on my butt, because we were already an hour late, the aisle chair was not coming, and I had an international connection. The flight attendant was horrified, which was sort of amusing.

I found that ex-Continental FAs on United flights were particularly surprised and disturbed by the lengthy waits for aisle chairs.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: United MP
If you write to United, they will probably say that since you got off the plane safely that there is nothing wrong with their service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.