Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Is there any way to get assistance guys trained better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MP

Just got back from a fun week long trip IAD-SFO and SFO-IAD. Everything went well except for the poorly trained service guys who transfer you to an aisle chair, and help you to your seat, and help with transfer to the seat. I don't know if it's United or the airports that contract with some company called ****serv (the asteriks mean the unknown first part of the name). It was the same company at both ends of the trip.

The first part of the journey was okay. It was on the return trip where the fun happened. The two guys who showed up didn't listen when I told them I cannot balance myself on the tiny aisle chair. I nearly hit the floor several times, but was able to use the wall to stay in the seat. What's more, they couldn't get the seat belt on me because I'm slightly too big . What's their first solution? Instead of the usual x pattern they put the belts around each arm, almost like a backpack. I told them repeatedly that that wasn't going to work. They tried to start moving me toward the plane, but I wouldn't let go of whatever I was holding on to to keep balanced. They finally decided to call for a different chair. The second chair was absolutely perfect! Why do they even bother with the tiny chairs when the bigger one works just fine? When we got to the seat, they spent 20 minutes trying to get the armrest up. When I figured out what the hold up was, I told them that if they help me, I can stand and then immediately sit in the plane seat. They took the belt off and waited for me to do it. After staring at me for a few seconds, it sunk in. I had to repeat the, "if you help me..." part. That's when they got it and helped me stand and I did the rest.

On arrival at IAD, we had to wait and wait and wait for them to show up. When they did, it was one guy with the tiny chair. To his credit, he asked me if I needed help to transfer, and immediately called for another guy to come when I answered, "yes". Of course, we had to wait another 10 minutes or so for him to arrive. They help me the same way as previously, but only used one belt like the shoulder portion of a car seat belt. I gave up trying to explain the need for both belts and held on to the one for dear life. One of the flight attendants saved me from falling once. On exiting the plane door, the chair dropped a few inches. That hurt a little, but I didn't fall because I grabbed on to the side of the door frame. Even after seeing me nearly fall twice, they released the seat belt while I was holding on to it for balance. Luckily, I was able to grab my own chair to hold myself up. The rest of it went fine.

Do I have to complain to United, and will it make a difference? Anybody know the name of the contractor company that provides the service? I survived this, but what about others who don't have the abilities that I do? I'm not interested in compensation. I want to see better training. Is there any way to spur them to give better training? The guys were nice people, they just didn't know what they were doing.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Airserv?

HQ at
3399 Peachtree Road, NE, Suite 1500
Atlanta, GA 30326
Ph:404-926-4200
Fax: 404-267-2230
Email: [email protected]

I'd send a letter to United and the US Department of Transportation (link to Airline Service Complaints and Comments resources, including Disability and Discrimination Complaints) - that way maybe UA will require better training and service from their contractors.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Airserv is probably the correct name.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:46 am

So sorry to hear about your bad experience. I would definitely let United know, and JDiver's additional suggestions are good as well.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Airserv?

HQ at
3399 Peachtree Road, NE, Suite 1500
Atlanta, GA 30326
Ph:404-926-4200
Fax: 404-267-2230
Email: [email protected]

I'd send a letter to United and the US Department of Transportation (link to Airline Service Complaints and Comments resources, including Disability and Discrimination Complaints) - that way maybe UA will require better training and service from their contractors.
That struck out. I got a response saying thanks for letting them know, and since they got me to my seat, and to my chair at the destination that these guys must have been trained well. I wasn't really expecting my letter would change anything and I was right.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
That struck out. I got a response saying thanks for letting them know, and since they got me to my seat, and to my chair at the destination that these guys must have been trained well. I wasn't really expecting my letter would change anything and I was right.
That's just like the Tweedledee and Tweedledum rules from the airlines: "we don't promise you we'll get you there in time, on the airplane we told you you'd fly in nor in the seat you booked, nor with any degree of comfort. And we expect you to believe we really care about you, your business and safety for some bizarre reason".

Sounds like Airserv hired Tweedledummer to respond to customer feedback! I do hope you copied UA and the USDOT.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 2, 2014 at 11:23 am
Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
That's just like the Tweedledee and Tweedledum rules from the airlines: "we don't promise you we'll get you there in time, on the airplane we told you you'd fly in nor in the seat you booked, nor with any degree of comfort. And we expect you to believe we really care about you, your business and safety for some bizarre reason".

Sounds like Airserv hired Tweedledummer to respond to customer feedback! I do hope you copied UA and the USDOT.
Yes I did. The response was from UA, not Airserv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.