Search

Ft Lauderdale airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Ft Lauderdale airport

Hi
I am new here and new to disability issues

I have a progressive neurological disease that is weakening my legs. In June I am flying into Ft Lauderdale on Southwest. How big is the airport? How far will I need to walk? I am not sure what my abilities will be then but now I believe I could negotiate a small airport ( like Providence) but not a big one. I would prefer to act like a regular passenger for as long as I can where I can

Thank you for any advice!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL MM, AS Gold, Marriott Plat, SPG, ICH
Here's a map:
https://www.broward.org/Airport/Maps.../Overview.aspx

It says that Southwest arrives in Terminal 1, Concourse B, but doesn't show which gates. It also doesn't show the distances, but Concourse B looks similar to Concourse D (which is what I'm used to)--my recollection is that the longest walk in Concourse D is probably 500-600 feet to the exit. (don't quote me).

The thing about FLL is that they ARE very accustomed to assisting passengers; lots of wheelchairs meet lots of planes down there. So it can take a while to disembark and get wheeled to baggage claim, but they do it hundreds of times a day and it's usually pretty efficient. (There tend to be a lot of people who ask for wheelchairs who end up not using them.)
Old May 6, 2014, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply. Sorry it took a while to get back to you. I appreciate it very much. Really want to walk if I still can!
Old May 11, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You can always request the service and tell them that you're having a good day upon arrival if you deem it a distance you're comfortable walking. Or if you arrive and see it is too far for your comfort you can request it then but you will probably have to wait a bit because of the large population of older travelers out of FLL.
I completely understand wanting to walk when you are comfortable with the distance.

Good travels.
Old May 22, 2014, 1:54 pm

My husband requests a wheelchair because he has some difficulty walking. He could do it, but this saves his strenghth. Fort Lauderdale has enough of a distance that I'd use a wheelchair and use my energy for other things. We have flown between Fort Lauderdale and Providence a number of times. Providence is a lot easier distance-wise than Fort lauderdale.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. Thought I would follow up here. Concourse B which is the southwest area turned out to be pretty small although it was very crowded. I chose to walk and was ok. Arrived at the closest gate, left at the furthest. Both were far closer than the other end ( providence)
And security lines looked daunting but went very quickly so all good
Thanks to all who answered!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.