Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

broken leg/moon boot questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Plat QFF, Gold AA, Silverseas Venetian.

We are Aussies in our 60s, I am retired, husband semi-retired, we are "doing " our next trip in May. It is a RTW, 14 flights (4 are internal) all First or Business.

My husband had a knee replacement in January and is doing very well only walking with a limp on rare occasions. In February I fell in our garden and broke my leg and ankle in 5 places, had a 5 hour operation and now have 2 metal plates and 12 screws in my leg. I have been wearing a moon boot (up to my knee) since I left hospital, and I was hoping it was coming off when I saw the doctor last week but the X ray shows the fractured tibia is not healing as fast as we would like , so the boot stays on for another 3 weeks. I can only partially weight bear, I use a walking stick to get around. And my leg is elevated while sitting.

I have read the "injured on vacation -wheelchair for going home" thread and I found that very helpful, and have our TA order wheelchairs for me.

Hope this post is not too long but I wanted to give as much background info as possible - thanks in advance for any responses

My questions are -
At security checkpoints will I have to take off the boot ? with all that metal in my leg do I need to travel with a copy of my x ray ? or doctors letter ?
Anything else I need to know ?

Last edited by rojaan; Apr 17, 2014 at 3:44 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:30 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rojaan
We are Aussies in our 60s, I am retired, husband semi-retired, we are "doing " our next trip in May. It is a RTW, 14 flights (4 are internal) all First or Business.

My husband had a knee replacement in January and is doing very well only walking with a limp on rare occasions. In February I fell in our garden and broke my leg and ankle in 5 places, had a 5 hour operation and now have 2 metal plates and 12 screws in my leg. I have been wearing a moon boot (up to my knee) since I left hospital, and I was hoping it was coming off when I saw the doctor last week but the X ray shows the fractured tibia is not healing as fast as we would like , so the boot stays on for another 3 weeks. I can only partially weight bear, I use a walking stick to get around. And my leg is elevated while sitting.

I have read the "injured on vacation -wheelchair for going home" thread and I found that very helpful, and have our TA order wheelchairs for me.

Hope this post is not too long but I wanted to give as much background info as possible - thanks in advance for any responses

My questions are -
At security checkpoints will I have to take off the boot ? with all that metal in my leg do I need to travel with a copy of my x ray ? or doctors letter ?
Anything else I need to know ?
I have some experience in this area (and a closet full of boots...both ankles broken and 5 surgeries on one). I travel a minimum of 100K a year. So I have experience flying in a boot.

I can only comment on US security:

You will not have to take off the boot. They will clear it manually and may swab it for explosives. They usually gently pat it down.

Since you will be in a wheelchair, you will be cleared manually, rather than going through one of the machines, so no need to worry about the metal.

You do not need your X-rays or a doctor's letter.

Things to know: Make sure your husband keeps an eye on your things (purse, carry on etc.) while you are being screened. Advise the agent about any sensitive areas and be vocal if she hurts your injury in any way. If your boot has the pump up compression, remember to release some of the air before takeoff because the pressure will increase as you climb to cruise altitude.

Safe travels!

Last edited by Pat89339; Apr 28, 2014 at 4:05 pm
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that helpful reply Pat. And I will have to make sure my husband is alert to what is on the security conveyor belt, as he has left his lap top behind on the odd occasion !!!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

I thought I would just come back and post on my experiences.

I didn't have any major problems. The only time I had to take my boot off was in Aberdeen Scotland. The boot was put through the X ray machine. There are no airbridges at ABZ either, so I was given a 10 minute head start to walk across the tarmac and up the stairs. I only just made it to the top of the stairs when the rest of the plane load caught up to me and nearly bowled me over ! LHR and KUL tie for the worst service, and NRT gets the gold star for the best service ! The Japanese are super efficient.
Luckily the moon boot comes off in a couple of days and hopefully things return to normal
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:45 am

Thanks for letting us know how it went. I agree, at NRT they take excellent care of disabled passengers. LHR, meh.

I hope you're back to gardening as usual soon.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:36 pm

I just read this. Hope you are healed up. I asked many of the same question. Glad I can keep the boot on if still needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.