Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Travelling with a CPAP (any incidents?)

Travelling with a CPAP (any incidents?)

Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
The Z1 is almost half the size of the Transcend. The Z1 noise is a higher pitch. I find there is no "breathing comfort" difference.
I have been a 17yr CPAP user.

The big difference is the size of the unit. There was no out of pocket cost for me to go to the Z1 as I am due for a new unit from my medical plan. So I am just happy to carry a smaller unit when travelling, more room for other stuff.
Thanks for your feedback. At half the size of the Transcend I think there's a Z1 in my future.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by OnTheRoad99
Thanks for your feedback. At half the size of the Transcend I think there's a Z1 in my future.
Like the olde saying goes: "SIZE MATTERS!"
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Another AA Incident

Wow... I can't believe the trouble I have been having while flying AA with my CPAP. I'm questioned about my third bag on almost every flight, and the response is rarely an immediate pass. They either want to see it, or they don't believe the rule exists. Tonight was the worst yet. Absolutely ridiculous and beyond irritating.

Here is the email I sent to AA. I couldn't write the whole story, as they limit the number of characters in their complaint form. I'm missing my 1Kvoice email more and more.
I have had trouble traveling with my CPAP since switching from UA to AA. Tonight's incident, however, takes the cake. When boarding this flight, an AA employee in the jet bridge who spoke very little English told me I could not bring 3 items on board. I corrected him. He didn't believe me, but he let me pass. The FA at the door ("Don" - Would not give me his last name) overheard our conversation and went into full power trip mode. He said, "No!" I explained again, but he insisted that I would have to check one of my items. I requested that he talk to the captain. He refused. I said I'm not going anywhere until you ask the captain. The captain allowed me to board, but wanted to speak with me. The FA said I needed a doctor's note proving I need it. When I spoke to the captain, he made the same claim, but he said it was no big deal tonight. The FA then forced me to move from the F seat I purchased months ago, stating, "Because you use oxygen, you can't be on the aisle blocking another passenger." I just moved, but it's wrong. The FA working the F cabin apologized very genuinely, and agreed when I said, "He's just on a power trip." The aa.com carry-on page clearly states that a CPAP is exempt, and says nothing bout a "doctor's note." I have never heard that in the 8.5 years I have been flying with my CPAP. This ruined my otherwise pleasant trip. I have AA flights tomorrow, Wednesday and Saturday this week, and no time for a doctor's note. What can I do to avoid a repeat?
Has anyone else ever experienced such a thing? I have printed the aa.com page to carry with me, but it shouldn't be necessary. CPAPs are so common now that I don't understand how any airline employee can be unaware of the rules.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a couple weeks ago, on the way to ams from iAd, the TSA agent pulled out my res-med cPap machine(very common machine). he said i could not carry it on board, would have to "go back through checkin" and have it checked as regular baggage.

i said i had carried it to about 20-25 countries so far and never heard a whimper. he was adament. i called for a supervisor, as i don't think this person even knew what it was.

he then rubbed it down with about a dozen toilet paper like papers, ran each through a machine reader, and sent me on my way.

i was on KLM, but i do not think that made any difference, other than the fact that i have no idea as to klm regs for carrying cPaps.

i do not think i have a script for a cPap.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Duplicate, hence deleted

Last edited by IADFlyer123; Feb 24, 2016 at 8:19 pm
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Anyone have any recommendations for a *nice* CPAP bag?

I presently use the Respironics SystemOne at home, and then I purchased the DreamStation. I plan to travel with either (but primarily with the DreamStation) but without the humidifier unit. Both of the above came with bags that fit the whole "merged" units.

Anyone have any recommendations for a (e.g. Victorinox, Tumi) bag that fits the DreamStation main unit?

Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:05 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I just use my backpack. The separated piece is quite small and hasn't been harmed travelling this way for the past 18 months.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by hikouki
Anyone have any recommendations for a *nice* CPAP bag?

I presently use the Respironics SystemOne at home, and then I purchased the DreamStation. I plan to travel with either (but primarily with the DreamStation) but without the humidifier unit. Both of the above came with bags that fit the whole "merged" units.

Anyone have any recommendations for a (e.g. Victorinox, Tumi) bag that fits the DreamStation main unit?

Thanks!
I use a Z1. I found a small camera and accessories bag which fit the unit, hose, nose-pieces, power-brick and hose stand perfectly. It is padded and also has velcro adjustable compartments.

If I have room in my main carryon, I put the whole bag in there. If not I carry it separately and claim it as a FAA carry on exempted medical device.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:14 am
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I've never had problems at the security check in points. However, I have had multiple problems with the airline staff. On JAL, American, and others. Problem is, I called in a few months before in order to be authorized to use the machine on board where I had flights of 14 hours or longer. When discussing with American Airlines, the rep told me that my S9 was authorized, but without the humidifier and I had to use a battery. Fine, I don't use a humidifier online, anyway, because turbulence could cause the water to splash into the electrics and fry the machine. The worst was at American Airlines in Madrid, where they spent an hour at checkin before I was allowed to go. They had to call several persons over, and kept asking me if it was an oxygen machine. Then they said that they did not know if I could use the battery, since it is a lithium ION battery (At JAL, they looked it up, and it specifically was on the list of batteries authorized for use on aircraft). I told them that I was fine using it without the battery, as the only reason I was using one was that AA personnel had told me I was required to use it. They they asked me again if it was an oxygen machine. . . .
After an hour at the checkin counter (luckily, we had arrived about 3 1/2 hours before the flight), they finally let me go to security.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Hoc
The worst was at American Airlines in Madrid, where they spent an hour at checkin before I was allowed to go.
Please write a complaint. AA appears to not care that their staff isn't trained about these machines. I have problems with them on almost every itinerary, and I write every time. Nothing changes, but I think it's could be because not enough of us take the time to go through their tedious online form process.

For the record, I don't even use mine on board. They just give me hell about trying to board with the extra carry-on.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:44 pm

My biggest issue when going through security with my CPAP is with the bottle (.5 liter) of distilled water that I bring along to go into the humidifier. It's in a marked bottle but everytime I travel I need to explain to the agent that the water is for the medical equipment. I sometimes need to be persistent as the agent usually has to check with the supervisor but I don't back down and that bottle of water (refilled) has been all over the world. The bottle won't last me more than a couple of days but that's usually plenty of time for me to obtain more distilled water for later in the journey.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:11 am

More Trouble on AA

Once again I had a problem at MDE - my home airport. They have a small staff, and I speak very fluent Spanish. They often recognize me, but they just never remember the CPAP exemption.

When I traveled on UA, there was an occasional jet bridge employee who would ask about it at different locations, but it never resulted in a delay of more than a minute or two. At AA, it happens much more frequently.

On this trip, I was told that I would have to check one of my carry-ons while checking in for the flight. The supervisor was insistent, and she had intterruptitis as bad as any person I have ever seen. When I didn't back down, they called AA, and it finally got resolved.

I realize this is an outsourced crew, but they are stable in their positions. I consider it to be AA's responsibility to train all stations about the rules. It ain't going to happen. They have been moving in the wrong direction in every area of customer service at lightning speed this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.