Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Upgrade possibillity for a medical condition?

Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
You know that an economy seat isn't in your best interest, yet you bought one anyway?

It's one thing if someone goes into a full-leg cast a month before a flight that was purchased 6 months prior, so they move that person to bulkhead to make room for their cast. It's another thing to knowingly buy a seat that is inappropriate and then seek something better (and more expensive) for free.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by airmotive
Honestly, I could see the airline being just as likely to deny carriage than upgrade.
If you feel you're not able to sit in the seat you purchased, the airline may simply agree with you, and return your money. So, while it doesn't hurt to ask....be mindful of how you present your condition to the airline.
Question in that case - as there is no other realistic option for travel, cannot the passenger then bring up ADA in that case? They can sit in a normal chair, it is the airlines compromises in this case to allow for more passengers on the plane that makes him unable to fly. So... it would seem to me that since we have eliminated alternative travel options, you can't deny a person access if you use public funds (i.e. airport, air traffic control)?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Question in that case - as there is no other realistic option for travel, cannot the passenger then bring up ADA in that case? They can sit in a normal chair, it is the airlines compromises in this case to allow for more passengers on the plane that makes him unable to fly. So... it would seem to me that since we have eliminated alternative travel options, you can't deny a person access if you use public funds (i.e. airport, air traffic control)?
The ADA? No. It does not apply. The ACAA*? Yes. However, the ACAA does not require airlines to provide first or business class seats for free. Someone has to pay.

*ACAA = Air Carrier Access Act.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:54 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, I'll move this to the Disability Travel forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:08 pm

I wouldn't think ADA would apply when the passenger had every opportunity to secure appropriate arrangements and simply elected not to. Besides ADA requires REASONABLE accommodations, not every conceivable accommodation, so it would be left to determine whether its reasonable to be expected to give something away just because someone didn't want to buy it.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:11 pm

And before people pull out the pitchforks and accuse me of being anti-disabled, my son is disabled. There are things I would expect an airline to allow for him and things I wouldn't.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Wow! What dates are you looking at? From what prices I saw coach is about $300, first is about $850. If you can get true first on that route for $400 that is a pretty good price, maybe worth a run.

In general, though, for some reason people assume that your typical first class seat which often runs the high $100s and often into the $1000s once you find a time and routing that works, is easy for people. Fact is that the price difference between lowest coach and lowest first is too big - usually 1.5 to 3 or 4 times, especially internationally. There are people who really do find coach travel excruciating, and certainly not pleasurable for many people. But unless the airlines bring down that price or make some other option available, we are going to continue to see this battle over accommodations. That is one of the prices we are paying for airline consolidation and lots of routing options - uniformly poor product.
In three days, Friday.

I did not quote an international fare because OP is not flying internationally.

Cheapest economy is US at $212 one-way. First is on DL at $361, also one way. The first is on mainline jets, no regionals.

The difference is only $140. That is absolutely fair. If coach is truly excruciating to the point of posting to a frequent flier forum to ask about a free upgrade, then there is really no excuse.

Last edited by backprop; Jan 21, 2014 at 6:54 pm
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:15 pm

Was this you?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...passenger.html
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I realize this passenger is likely already traveling, but there is a huge risk in asking for a better class of seating due to a medical condition.

You may be asked if you are fit to fly on the day of travel. I'm not kidding.

When my leg was badly injured and I had to keep traveling to keep my job, I quickly learned that expressing the need for improved seating can get you a fast refund and the trip is over. I learned to respond that I was, indeed, fit to fiy and intended to do so.

This situation can be a tight rope walk for sure.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I realize this passenger is likely already traveling, but there is a huge risk in asking for a better class of seating due to a medical condition.

You may be asked if you are fit to fly on the day of travel. I'm not kidding.

When my leg was badly injured and I had to keep traveling to keep my job, I quickly learned that expressing the need for improved seating can get you a fast refund and the trip is over. I learned to respond that I was, indeed, fit to fiy and intended to do so.

This situation can be a tight rope walk for sure.
Indeed. I have a very serious condition brought on by a sudden, major injury 8 years ago. It involved partial paralysis and some permanent damage resulting in chronic pain and mobility issues. I am fairly young and, taking my first trip post-surgery (TATL), I cheekily requested an upgrade in advance to make my trip more comfortable, bemoaning my poor-me medical condition (hey, I was an infrequent flyer then, it was before I found this forum and learned the ways of the flying world, and I was certainly 'entitled').

Not only did Air Canada refuse the upgrade, but they refused to even allow me to fly at all until I had submitted a medical evaluation proving I was fit to fly. And not just for this trip; I could not ever fly them again until I had done so. Needless to say, I booked BA, sucked it up and paid for CW. My bad for expecting the world to revolve around my problems. It was a much needed wake up call and I now book the seat I need. And I give thanks to AC every time I fly on much, much better airlines for making me never having to set butt on one of their planes ever again.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: United MP
I was upgraded to Business class once. I did not ask for it. The Gate Agent just went ahead and upgraded me and my wife. I have no idea why. This was ion 2002. No upgrades since then. I think they changed policy about upgrades not long after that.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Spontaneous goodwill upgrades are dead as dodos on most airlines now. Management wants to see justification from the staff to ensure they're not giving to their friends instead of customers who have offered to pay or redeem credits.
I suspect I don't even get upgrades that I've filed eUpgrade requests for. I think they call names and give them to people who answer the pages. I've been told at check-in "looks good" and then at the gate "haha no chance". I make them aware I won't hear my name if they call it, and they sneer at me like I am nagging. I do get some upgrades (including one op-up after IRROPS), but those were all either in advance or confirmed in the lounge. Whereas they know what to do about wheelchairs, I think some stations can't be bothered with communication accessibility.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The best thing is to plan ahead (certainly over 21 days / less than 120-180 days in advance). Some US airlines offer nonrefundable "instant upgrade" type fares that are cheaper than some refundable / unrestricted coach fares (of course, if your flight or flights include regional aircraft, it doesn't matter, and if it's a sparsely flown route prices may be higher anyway).

Southwest and others do offer early boarding - and in Southwest's case, that means any seat except for an exit row, practically speaking.

Of course, making a major issue of one's condition ("Yes, I have a coach ticket but absolutely can not fly unless...") could potentially result in being required to provide a "fitness to fly" certification - a backfire many would prefer not to have to endure.

The chances of an upgrade, as many have posted, based on asking at the ticket counter or gate based on an existing condition are practically slim to none, and Slim rode out of town yesterday.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:32 am

Upgrading on the basis of a disability is way too broad of a spectrum. If it were allowed, who would judge the best to be upgraded, based on the individual disability? I can't imagine anybody wants to go through an extensive interview on the rating of their disability.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Certainly.....

Originally Posted by skylady
Upgrading on the basis of a disability is way too broad of a spectrum. If it were allowed, who would judge the best to be upgraded, based on the individual disability? I can't imagine anybody wants to go through an extensive interview on the rating of their disability.
Those of us who have to fly to earn our living and have 'issues' with physical problems have learned to smile and carry on mentioning as little as possible about our 'needs'.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.