Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Obesity rant

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skylady
If you were fired because you don't fit in an airline seat, then that is between you and your employer, not any airline.
Frankly as an employer I wouldn't consider anyone for any job if they were seriously overweight.
It's not about the look of a person to potential customers but whether that person who is unable to practice restraint and discipline in their private life would carry similar laziness through into the work place.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Frankly as an employer I wouldn't consider anyone for any job if they were seriously overweight.
It's not about the look of a person to potential customers but whether that person who is unable to practice restraint and discipline in their private life would carry similar laziness through into the work place.
An overweight person would likely be lazy in the workplace? Come on
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90
An overweight person would likely be lazy in the workplace? Come on
I said seriously overweight.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Nasty. Very, very nasty.

So you also wouldn't hire smokers, drinkers, gamblers, or pretty much anyone with any sort of "vice?"
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Nasty. Very, very nasty.

So you also wouldn't hire smokers, drinkers, gamblers, or pretty much anyone with any sort of "vice?"
Physical appearance always plays a part in the employment process.
I would class seriously overweight people in the same bracket as those who are scruffy, heavily tattooed or with body-piercing.
Anyone who tells you otherwise isn't telling the truth.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I guess this just becomes semantics as to what "seriously" overweight means. I know people are/were definitely overweight, yet had no issues contributing 100% (or more!) to their jobs. Chris Christie comes to mind - you don't have to agree with his policies or demeanor, but he's certainly dedicated to his job, obese and all...
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I guess this just becomes semantics as to what "seriously" overweight means. I know people are/were definitely overweight, yet had no issues contributing 100% (or more!) to their jobs. Chris Christie comes to mind - you don't have to agree with his policies or demeanor, but he's certainly dedicated to his job, obese and all...
Yet you'd agree that being obese would certainly be an impediment to any hope of him getting elected as POTUS.He certainly thinks so which is why he's had gastric band surgery.

There are obviously many roles in the job market that obese people can fill yet realistically any potential employer is going to consider weight as a determining factor, even sub-consciously.

Would you consider someone with a facial tattoo for employment ? It's no different than asking an employer to ignore the fact that someone in front of them asking for a job weighs 350lbs.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:04 am

Funny rants.. I've had coworkers who aren't sportive at all and are probably about 120kg, yet even they could fit into a regular Economy exit row seat (ie, those were the armrest go down all the way, and are fully fixed)

From what I remember, it was rather tight, but not uncomfortable for them.

Given their BMI was certainly about 30 or even above, and their style of living wasn't really healthy either, they still could use a regular economy class seat without much issue.

And frankly spoken, if you really can't fit into an Economy class seat, and you need a second extension (my coworkers didn't need any..) to close your belt, you're so overweight that it IS a serious issue, and you should see medical treatment.

And while there are some obese people who indeed have a problem and aren't at fault, I guess it's fair to say that the very big majority of obese people are to only blame themselves for being in such state.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I love Doctors who do not tell patients the truth, but then if they told them the truth, the patient would spend their money here, and the Doctor would have to look for another patient.

Glad you both have money to travel.

Rest assure some Physician is prescribing diet pills for her, instead of telling her to guard her mouth..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.