Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Wearing shorts to demonstrate presences of prosthesis?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to be flying (international) though LAX and O'hare, something I've not done for a number of years.

I've got a below knee prostheses.

I was thinking that I might just ware shorts through security.

I know that I will likely still need to go through secondary screening, but I though it they can see my leg and where it extends to it might just speed up the hole process rather than me trying to explain the situation to the TSA officers.

What are people's thoughts?
Old May 12, 2013, 11:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Honestly, I think it's mostly about personal comfort. It may speed up security - whether with TSA agents or just other people, some will always be boorish about this issue.

IMO, it's dependent mostly on your "personal Teflon" about the prosthesis.

Happy travels! (And it might be helpful for some members if you can share your decision and how it went after you fly.)
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:49 pm

I wear a full leg brace on one leg. When traveling, I wear leggings with the brace over them or a skirt. It makes the whole security process that much easier and I don't have to waste a lot of time going behind a curtain so that they can see the brace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.