Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disabled Passengers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 1:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this is not completely DL-specific, I am moving the thread to the Disability Travel Forum.
Please continue to follow the discussion there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
DL Moderator
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH
The OP shows his/her bias by the title of this thread -- people with service dogs are *not* disabled, they're only handicaped and in this case able to travel, so have been able to over come all of that.

Also, unless he/she had to change seats, how can he/she have the basis of a complaint!

Bob H
Just to be clear, I can't keep up with the current politically correct nomenclature for these sorts of things. I meant no disrespect to the lady who appeared to have vision problems and was accompanied by a service dog. I was under the impression that "handicapped" was more derogatory than "disabled" and apparently I was incorrect.

I also thought I was clear that I was not complaining to the airline, rather I was merely trying to figure out if "this is the way it happens and everyone just has to suck it up" or if a process broke down and/or someone didn't do what they were supposed to do. I do not object to moving to accommodate someone, but my concern is that on a full A/C, the addition of the dog creates a situation where another passenger might have to give up their seat completely. At 12 midnight, that means not getting home until the next day at around noon.

While it was not particularly disruptive in this case, the situation as it played out was very challenging to everyone's good nature and compassion. Particularly on a CRJ200 where there is hardly any 'decent' seating.

If the correct process is to "let it sort itself out on the aircraft" then that's a pretty crappy policy for all involved..

Last edited by 32767a; Mar 23, 2013 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by 32767a
Just to be clear, I can't keep up with the current politically correct nomenclature for these sorts of things. I meant no disrespect to the lady who appeared to have vision problems and was accompanied by a service dog. I was under the impression that "handicapped" was more derogatory than "disabled" and apparently I was incorrect.
No you weren't wrong. The correct way is "a person with a disability". There are variations of that. "Handicap" is not derogatory, it's just incorrect. A person has a disability or handicap, they''re not a disabled person.

I also thought I was clear that I was not complaining to the airline, rather I was merely trying to figure out if "this is the way it happens and everyone just has to suck it up" or if a process broke down and/or someone didn't do what they were supposed to do. I do not object to moving to accommodate someone, but my concern is that on a full A/C, the addition of the dog creates a situation where another passenger might have to give up their seat completely. At 12 midnight, that means not getting home until the next day at around noon.

While it was not particularly disruptive in this case, the situation as it played out was very challenging to everyone's good nature and compassion. Particularly on a CRJ200 where there is hardly any 'decent' seating.

If the correct process is to "let it sort itself out on the aircraft" then that's a pretty crappy policy for all involved..
The process broke down somewhere. It was either at check-in or at the gate. What that person did was wrong. People with disabilities are not entitle to any seat. They get what is available. Occasionally, the gate agent might change the seats. One time I did get a changed seat while on the plane, but that ws due to a malfunction of the seat, and was arranged by the FA. I didn't do it myself.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:29 pm

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that Flight Crew and Gate Crew are rarely if ever given advance warning of a disabled passenger, and the first they will know of this is when they ask for assistance boarding. Check in *should* know, and should inform Crew, but often don't as 'assistance' is almost always contracted out to the Airport. (With a rare few airlines that manage their own passenger assistance at their major hubs)
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA/LH/DL
After I read all posts, I think, there is something you should consider :

Even if the service-dog is included in the reservation, only agents catching up with this fact, if they check for it. Local load-control or operations of each carrier depending if outgoing or inbound flight - have infos about it. But it must be included in the reservation. It´s a "SSR"= Special service request in the reservation and therefor check-in and gate should be informed. That´s how it´s planned... but these days never realy works....

So very often, the traveling person ist having the problem.... which makes it even harder, while already handicaped. Please think about it, if you are a fellow passenger and run into problems about a service dog seated in your way. It´s not made by the passenger ... agents need to reconsider when seating passengers, using usually blocked seats ( that´s what they are blocked for ...).

I´m a retired PAN AM employee, travelling with my service dog. My mobility is very limited after a severe accident. I have a lot of backround infos. And believe me - not much has changed ever since. When I was with PAN AM, it was only seeing-eye dogs, that were flying in cabin. Those days, travel was generally not as crazy as these days. But these days, it´s good to have the option, to have my service dog in cabin with me. Otherwise, I can not live an independent life. But we need some understanding from fellow passengers ....

I have not had a real problem yet - only, because I have the knowledge. And believe me, sometimes it´s not fun to be after things, that should be provided - and would be, if the job is done right ... which does not cost a penny, but would make it easier for other people with a disability....and for all other passengers....

My girl and I get a warm welcome on each flight, all crews praise her, for beeing wonderful ( which she is expected to be ...)- but sometimes, the other passengers are not as nice.... and make it a hussle for me. Although, things usually clear up and people, seated with me and my girl are not having a problem, to - may be - give up a little bit of there space for their feet, so my girl can lay down on the longhauls, that we fly.

I do understand very well, that not every passenger, confronted with this situation is happy about it. My advice : Ask the crew, to look for someone, who changes the seat with you .... Whenever that occured on my flights, there were a lot of volunteers to sit with us....
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:13 am

Hi guys
As a travel agent I have had many customers with disabilities. All travel arrangements for service dogs happen ahead of time. Legally speaking Delta can not refuse service to these people and should not under any circumstance.

The reality here is that delta's planning for such events as service dogs is very limited. When a reservation is booked for a passenger with a service dog it is only put in as a foot note in the reservation and such that the seating chart is not affected.Nor can delta make the disabled passenger pay for the extra space like it dose if you have a pet which is a hole other story.

Traveling as a Disabled traveler is quit difficult especially for the blind as they relay on others to make the best possible choices. this some times dose not work out for some destinations where only narrow body planes fly to such as "Corpus Cristy TX". In my honest opinion it was perfectly natural for the passenger to assume the airline would of seated her appropriately with an empty seat next to her.

Last edited by Katja; Oct 3, 2013 at 9:22 am
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
On a couple of flights I have taken recently following hip replacement surgery I requested bulkhead seating in advance. I was given those seats with the understanding that if a passenger with a service dog was on the flight I would give the seats to that passenger. My understanding is that service animals trump everything else in terms of bulkhead seat assignments. I would suspect that the blind passenger knew that bulkhead seats were assigned to her, and she simply took the seat she normally takes.

On my last flight there was a blind couple traveling with two service dogs. They had the center and aisle seat of the bulkhead. Just before they closed the door on this very full flight a passenger got on a was assigned to the window seat of that bulkhead row. She took her seat, and everyone was very pleasant.

I am sure that the lady in the window seat had some part of a dog invading her foot space, but she was completely charming about it, as was the blind couple. No one said a word about who owned what floor space. I believe the window seat lady just tucked her feet under the dog.

The dogs were amazing. I do not think either of them moved a muscle from when they got on the plane until five hours later when they left.

It was such a nice thing to see. It was a situation that could have been filled with contention and unpleasantness and it was managed perfectly by all parties involved. They visited together, and the following evening I saw the single window lady having dinner at our hotel with the blind couple and the dogs. People not only did not cause a problem, but made new friends. It was just good proof of what can happen if we approach events with something other than what is "rightfully" mine. I resolved to be more generous with the arm rest on my next flight.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:40 am

Programs: UA/LH/DL
Thanks flyingfran !

Your report shows, how it usually goes, when I travel with my service dog. I rarely ever had problems, to find "seat companions", that want to sit with us, while a previously assigned passenger denies, to be with us. Only, it becomes critical, when flights are full and I travel just by myself. Had so many offers for further help after the flight - which I usually do not need, as someone meets me, or my husband is travelling with me.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
I recognize that some people do not like dogs, or may be allergic to them; however, we love dogs, and would never have a problem having one at our feet. Since my husband's feet are always cold, he would probably love tucking his toes beneath a warm animal. I am sure it would be more pleasant than many people with whom we have shared seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.