Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Dream trip to Hawaii - luggage ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Planning our dream trip to Hawaii for Septamber. Both DS's are disabled, so we are used to getting wheelchairs, etc. through the airport and gate checked. We have largely flown Southwest to take advantage of the 2 checked bags free, but we cannot fly Southwest to Hawaii. It looks like we will be flying American because of our ability to use air miles points from Starwood for the flight.

Our issue is with luggage. Our trip is going to last 3 weeks and I need to take many, many incontinence briefs for the one DS which will take up one suitcase, if not more which will cost a lot in extra fees. I know I could probably go to Wal-Mart or someplace on Hawaii to get a substitute, but when I have run out in the past and had to go to a store to buy extra, they do not fit right and we have lots of accidents. So, I would prefer to take his regular brand of briefs if I can.

So, the question is: do airlines, such as American, wave the fee for luggage carrying medical supplies like incontinence briefs? We will be flying from Oahu to Maui on Hwaiian Airlines, so does anybody know their policy?

If not, does anybody know of a medical supply place in Hawaii that I could possibly order incontinence briefs from and have them delivered to our hotel?

Thank you!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: United MP
It's supposed to be free to take needed medical equipment with you. I would just put it in a bag with other medical stuff you need and then carry it on. (depends on size though). Check the Air Carrier Access Act, which is linked in one of the stickies in this forum.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:43 pm

Two ideas for you:

1. ship your preferred brand of brief yourself via UPS or the post office

2. order them online to be shipped to your Hawaii address. You'd be amazed what you can get from Amazon with free shipping

Either way you'll likely pay less than the airline's extra bag feeand you won't have the hassle of schlepping them yourself
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

That Amazon idea is great. I will check it out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.