Wiki Posts
Search

Disability terminology

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, Gold Passport, SPG
Disability terminology

Is referring to people with a disability as "handicapped" really the norm in the US? Because, where I've lived, you would get yourself knocked out for saying it.

In Australia, you'd get away with "......" before you got away with that.

What happened to person first, disability second? Handicapped, really? Is that really what educated intelligent people use every day?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:24 am
Original Poster

In case you were wondering, I'm shocked.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by keiko
Is referring to people with a disability as "handicapped" really the norm in the US? Because, where I've lived, you would get yourself knocked out for saying it.

What happened to person first, disability second? Handicapped, really? Is that really what educated intelligent people use every day?
Yes it is - and not just something people feel ok dropping into conversation - the word also appears on signage, in print etc. so very much accepted.

I'm British, and was quite surprised by this when I moved over here a few years ago.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: United MP
In the US, those with disabilities have tried to change that, but many people are stubborn, or remain ignorant. I, myself, sometimes find myself saying that word because the person I'm talking to uses it.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:07 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
It's a word, not a bludgeon. If you choose to be offended, that's your choice. It's a word and if it makes you feel more "evolved" to use a different word, then by all means do so. If it makes you feel better to refer to others as ignorant, go right ahead. I try very hard not to judge other people's use of words, but that is also a choice on my part. Doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong. Just means we're different. I think different is a good thing, but that's just me...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by dd992emo
It's a word, not a bludgeon. If you choose to be offended, that's your choice. It's a word and if it makes you feel more "evolved" to use a different word, then by all means do so. If it makes you feel better to refer to others as ignorant, go right ahead. I try very hard not to judge other people's use of words, but that is also a choice on my part. Doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong. Just means we're different. I think different is a good thing, but that's just me...
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to use "ignorant"as a word to offend. I couldn't think of a better word at the time. There's just many people who do not even know the difference between "a person with a disability" and "handicapped". That's all I meant. I'm not interested in judging anyone. When someone uses the word handicapped, it doesn't bother me at all. I find myself using it sometimes.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
The International Classification of Functioning (World Health Organization) has determined the word "handicapped" is obsolete.

I have noticed the usage in North America, particularly on labelling accessible facilities, and used by kindly people trying to be euphemistic in describing someone with a disability. I'm thinking I encounter the H word in Canada less, but "special needs" euphemism more.

The words "handicapped" as well as "[whatever]-impaired" and even "special needs" DO offend me, in a mild way. I recognize that the word is not used with intent to offend me, but while attempting to be considerate or perhaps euphemistic about disability (in general or specifically), the language usage is patronizing and contributes little to achieving my participation as a person with a disability. These are antiquated terms that reflect the presumed marginalization of the person/people being described. I liken the offense level of these to the term "colored" rather than the N word.

Please note that I am talking about the words, not the users of the words.

However, what I have noticed is that some people are insistent on not taking feedback on terminology and decide they are going to use words regardless of how the people being described feel about them because those are the words they are comfortable with, or nobody is going to take away their right to choose their words for them, etc. I don't understand what it costs anyone to listen to how people prefer to be described and just do it. It's not that difficult. It always amuses me that people would rather use complicated constructions like hearing impaired when deaf people would rather be called deaf. People seem to be afraid that if they call me deaf I will be offended, as though it's bad to be deaf and I will be angry for being called that because I haven't noticed that I am.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
The International Classification of Functioning (World Health Organization) has determined the word "handicapped" is obsolete.
Seriously? "International Classification of Functioning"???
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:36 am

Seriously? "International Classification of Functioning"???
Well, give it a chance.

I know you're teasing but for the sake of the record here, and other people that might be curious what the ICF is and why, the concept is that there is not a binary universe of disability and non-disability. Everyone is somewhere on a continuum. Everyone has things they cannot do. Most of us in everyday life don't need nuanced descriptions. It's not meant to be a law enforced by the local police officer or adhered to by the local greengrocer.

Clinicians and bureaucrats do need this to classify us for benefits and accommodations and therapies. The ICF enables them to describe the situation more effectively and less judgementally. In the process, there was no need for "handicapped" and even "disabled" labels. It's all about describing what you can and can't do as clearly as possible, and as a result, getting more directly to solutions. It's international so that they compare apples and apples in international benchmarking of social equity accomplishments, by which to assess standards of living and inclusion for people with disabilities.

And even the average person could benefit from applying the underlying principles of describing the person's functioning and accommodation needs. This is an improvement over describing the nature of what is NOT functioning for the person.

When I travel, if the only hotel option is the "ADA room" or "accessible room", inevitably, there is no bathtub in the room, and I can reach the closet bar to hang my clothes while I'm reclining on the carpet, but there is often no flashing fire alarms, vibrating alarm clock, and blinking doorbell, which is what I need. Or they put ALL the accommodations into ONE one size fits all disability room. While I am in it, they cannot accommodate a person using a wheelchair because I'm taking up the only room with level access to bathing, while I am cursing the lack of a tub. It often creates more barriers than it solves.

On my usual airline, they have a "special needs" checkbox that opens a menu, at least, of "wheelchair", "blind" or "deaf". While that is more helpful than being met by a redcap with a wheelchair, I am still routinely received on board by an empty-handed FA orally speaking at me saying "can you lipread?" If you thought there was a chance I cannot, why would you not have brought a notepad with that question on it?

ICF (and even applying the principles of ICF without knowing ICF exists) would have changed these online booking questions to be less about me and MY disability, and more about them and THEIR accommodations that I require, e.g., "deaf and require written notes of emergency messages, flashing alarms, ... " or "hearing loss and can lipread" etc.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

It's a word, not a bludgeon. If you choose to be offended, that's your choice. It's a word and if it makes you feel more "evolved" to use a different word, then by all means do so..
I think that statement shows a lot of ignorance frankly. Autocorrect removed a word that does not carry the same negative overtones in my country that it does in the US and demonstrates clearly the cultural imperialism of the US.

Is there no way that you can accept that the majority of the world community finds your terminology offensive? You only represent 5% of global population.surely if we believe in democracy then majority rules?

I am the same person I was before I developed a disability. By referring to a group of people as "handicapped" or "disabled" you assume a homogeneity that does not exist. We are not pitiable helpless people of lesser importance and ability to contribute meaningfully to society. We just have one or more senses that do not function properly, or one or more limbs, or our intellect. Other than our disability, we are the same as those without a disability. We just need assistance to overcome the hindrance of the dysfunction.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air
Originally Posted by keiko

Do you have "Person Parking" permits/spaces (similar to our Handicap permits/spaces), in Australia? If so could you attach a photo? We are a very diverse nation and it's difficult to cover every situation in every circumstance. No one word can cover everything to everyone.

What would you propose one of these signs would say? Would you eliminate the signage of a person in a wheelchair from the sign? and replace it with what? Certainly not all people who park in one of these spaces is in a wheelchair.

How many spaces/rooms etc. should be allocated towards each medical need person/situation/requirement? Where does it all end?

Should some golfers be given a "disabilty" instead of a handicap...... to help even their chances of winning? Gosh I can't believe I said that..... I'm not a golfer.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:30 am

Wheelchair accessible parking

Feel free to continue to handicap golfing and horse races. It's a different thing.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:12 pm

I think that statement shows a lot of ignorance frankly. Autocorrect removed a word that does not carry the same negative overtones in my country that it does in the US and demonstrates clearly the cultural imperialism of the US.
"Cultural Imperialism"...pig snort! Love the term, though.

You only represent 5% of global population.surely if we believe in democracy then majority rules?
I don't represent anyone, Spanky...

I am the same person I was before I developed a disability.
Yeah, me too. I wasn't an overly sensitive candy a$$ then, and I'm still not. I couldn't care less what word people use to describe me and my condition, and I feel no desire whatsoever to try and dictate to others what they should say or not say to or about me.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
^M
"Cultural Imperialism"...pig snort! Love the term, though.

I don't represent anyone, Spanky...

Yeah, me too. I wasn't an overly sensitive candy a$$ then, and I'm still not. I couldn't care less what word people use to describe me and my condition, and I feel no desire whatsoever to try and dictate to others what they should say or not say to or about me.
^ to this. Jeez, let's stop taking ourselves so seriously. Life is too short and I, for one, could care less what word is used. What is so offensive about "handicapped"? I must be missing something as I don't get why that word is so bad. I am sure in almost all cases it is not used with any sort of malice or intent to marginalize or belittle me. With everything that is going on in the world, taking offense to something like this ranks pretty low on my list of egregious behaviour.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Would you ask a black person what is so offensive about the "N" word? Which is the one removed from my first post btw. It wouldn't even raise an eyebrow in Australia.

"Handicapped" means
Having a condition that markedly restricts one's ability to function physically, mentally, or socially
I do not have a "restriction" in my function. It does not work. Period. One day it did, the next day it didn't.

So I needed to learn a different way of doing everyday tasks so that I could still do them. For example, I am posting on a discussion forum.

I am not a horse, nor a dog, and this is not a race. I am not playing golf. The word is not appropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.