Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Flying AA with Disability, need aisle seat

Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with crohn's disease, and my flights have been usually 1-2 hours. but im flying to Maui from LAX (5hrs) and i need to be in an aisle seat somewhat close to a restroom. called CS they said they would have someone work on it, and also requested a doctors note which i have.

when i look at seats available, the flights completely booked for the past few days in Y.

departs on friday.

what is the most likely outcome? would i just have to switch with a volunteer?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Luckily, the seat you desire is one many others don't want. Your best bet is an aisle seat near the back of the plane.

Go to the airport extra early to have the best chance of getting your seat. Also keep checking the online seating chart and check in online as early as possible (usually 24 hours) to get an acceptable seat.

Hope you have a great time in Maui.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
That and do follow up on the CS with the DR's note. Fax it whatever provide the documentation required. Agents hear stories all day why they should get certain seat. Provide the documentation and the odds improve.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the tips and suggestions
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:17 pm

You can also quietly ask the FA if they can help you. No guarantee, but some of us still have a heart!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Yep very true and we passengers are very glad for that. All i'm saying it seems AA clearly requested the documentation and provide that. They can go in an change seats ( enough time provided) if the requested documentation is provided.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this question is probably best answered by other travellers who have requested or know those who have needed accommodation in the past, I've moved this thread over to the Disability Travel forum. Good luck on your travels!

~Microwave
AAdvantage Forum Co-moderator
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Hi amino.

The answer to this is very easy. Call the AA Special Assistance department at 800-237-7976. They will assign you seat 12D (aisle, right side) on the 757. In that seat you'll only be three rows from the mid-cabin lav. I've never had them ask me for documentation of a disability or illness and I fly a lot (as a power wheelchair user)!

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Good luck!

Edit: Just noticed your flight is today. I checked and see that 12D is still available on both the 2pm and 10pm flights. Hope you're up early and get the message.

FYI, reservations/CS NEVER has access to these seats. Only Special Asst, the airport ~3hr before the flight, and apparently AA will now sell them 12hr in advance!

Last edited by rollthere; Jan 4, 2013 at 10:29 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.