Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Poor behaviour by presumptively able bodied people replying to threads in this forum.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor behaviour by presumptively able bodied people replying to threads in this forum.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by barberio
What the **** is up with people coming onto disabled issue threads to try and prove the people involved "aren't really disabled"? Why on earth does every issue now come with someone taking time to say "he seems to be embellishing what happened". Why are able bodied posters from the rest of the site dropping in here to instruct us on what they think the threshold is before a person gets "perks" for being disabled.

Why do we have to waste so much time having to educate people that "disabilities are variable and cover many different issues and Air travel tend to impact across a wide range of what someone has problems doing". Why do we have to constantly educate people that we might not like being in a wheelchair, but in almost all airports it's the only accepted way for a disabled person to get through security without issues. Why do we always have to explain that an apparently able bodied person may have "hidden disabilities" when they come here to complain about "The fat guy stealing perks". What is their problem with a tiny number of disabled people getting early boarding, or getting priority for certain seats.

Maybe it's some kind of weird territorial behaviour that this group of "Others" are taking the "perks and benefits" they associate with having elite status with their airline? Can't we have this area to talk about what our needs are, and swap hints, and warn about issues with particular airlines/airports, without the Frequent Flyer Elite butting in?
Fakers using "Wheel Chair Requests" to bypass lines..

I could use hidden profanities and call those who disagree with me names or characterise them as clueless aggressive or naive. But I shall do no such thing. .
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: Qantas, Gold Passport, SPG
No one is saying that everyone in a wheel chair is a scammer, but that some people are.
I'll bite that one.

I have multiple sclerosis. I can walk. However, I am legally blind as a result of the disease with the result that I can only see a few feet, and I have a severe visual field defect. Airports are terrible places for me to negotiate. Even with my white cane, people think I should get our of THEIR way. (Not sure how I think they should do that, considering I can't see them until my cane bumps into them).

As I said, I can walk. But not the inordinate distances at an airport, when I have been awake for God knows how many hours, and I can't see where I am going. So I ask for assistance, which in most cases involves a wheelchair. Which, after I am through the other side, I get out of and walk off.

This does not mean I am scamming anything. Anyone who says differently needs to swap with me for a day and see just how much of a "perk" it really is.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: None - fairly infrequent flier
Keiko:

Bless you for posting. I, too, have MS. Unlike you, I can see just fine....but have trouble walking distances, making airports very problematic for me. I've had MS for over 30 years, but only recently started using a wheelchair in the airport.

People are people and they will judge others, whether right or wrong. I do what I need to do and let others worry if I'm scamming the system. I've yet to have anyone challenge my need for a wheelchair or for pre-boarding.....but I'm always waiting for a challenge, because people tell me my MS can't be that bad , "because you look so good!" Walk a mile (or 100 feet) in my shoes, bud!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: AA PLT, United GLD, HHonors GLD, Hyatt DM, Avis PC, Hertz PC, SPG....
folks,

I came looking for this thread and found one had been created and that many posters had already noticed this extremely disturbing issue. thank you.

As a website, flyer talk needs to police this issue. Americans with disabilities act is a law, not a joke. and this forum is currently just a small notch below holocaust denial level in its hate for people with special needs.

to the posters of those wonderful posts,

- first, you are in no position to judge someone else's ability. do not question why they need help at some time and don't at other times. they are doing you a favor by getting out of you way both getting on and off. in these times of tight connections, you frequent flyers will miss an order of magnitude more flights if they didn't try to preserve what dignity they can in the face of your disruptions.
- next, these previleges are not hard to obtain. you want them, tie a leg to a train track. then joke about it.
- last, karma is not fiction. when someone heaps this scorn on you, remember you spat first. until then, enjoy the misbehavior this little website permits you. and in the real world, be the jerk you are here anonymously. if you so enjoy these jokes, post them with your real identity. I would be glad to forward them to your employers.

and if this website has any decency, I am happy to maintain a sticky thread of shame for the worthies who are insulted because folks with special needs still dare to travel.

go ahead, hate me for it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by saysomething
go ahead, hate me for it.
"Hate" you is much too strong a word. Be "annoyed" or even "amused" by your pompous attitude, telling everyone what they need to do, leaping right into name-calling of people you don't know...sure. Not a problem.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:19 pm

I think it hardly surprising that a level of scepticism exists about the use of some disability services.

Most of us are aware of the "arrival miracle" where a passenger wheelchaired (is that a word?) TO the aircraft is somehow able to leave entirely without assistance.

Please note that I stand ready to be advised of what specific physical condition might be involved there.

As usual the selfish few cause problems for the genuine folks....

I take the point on not questioning a disability (that of course may be entirely non-obvious) BUT I intend to continue directing loud verbal remarks at (apparently very much "abled") folks who park in designated "Disabled" car spaces without the appropriate sticker.

You can hate me for doing that if you like.....
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
I think it hardly surprising that a level of scepticism exists about the use of some disability services.

Most of us are aware of the "arrival miracle" where a passenger wheelchaired (is that a word?) TO the aircraft is somehow able to leave entirely without assistance.

Please note that I stand ready to be advised of what specific physical condition might be involved there.
Cancer good enough for you?

I had to make a couple trips through ATL while undergoing chemo - debilitating, draining, exhausting chemo. Because the distance involved and the tightness of the connection at ATL I asked DL for assistance in making the connection. My final destination was a small airport where I had family waiting for me. The only assistance available at ATL to get from the far end of one terminal to the far end of another was a wheelchair transfer and I definite needed it after a rough transcon flight. At my final destination I was able to make the very short walk to the curb where a car was waiting for me.

"Arrival miracle?"

No, different circumstances necessitating different levels of assistance.

I doubt anyone waits for permission.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Cancer good enough for you?

I had to make a couple trips through ATL while undergoing chemo - debilitating, draining, exhausting chemo. Because the distance involved and the tightness of the connection at ATL I asked DL for assistance in making the connection. My final destination was a small airport where I had family waiting for me. The only assistance available at ATL to get from the far end of one terminal to the far end of another was a wheelchair transfer and I definite needed it after a rough transcon flight. At my final destination I was able to make the very short walk to the curb where a car was waiting for me.

"Arrival miracle?"

No, different circumstances necessitating different levels of assistance.

I doubt anyone waits for permission.
I don't think he's talking about you. C'mon, you know there are pretenders out there. There may not be as many as there appear to be, but there are definitely too many, and they hurt those of us who really need the assistance.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I don't think he's talking about you. C'mon, you know there are pretenders out there. There may not be as many as there appear to be, but there are definitely too many, and they hurt those of us who really need the assistance.
Actually, I did exactly what trooper was talking about: arrived at the flight via wheelchair, and walked off the plane on my own.

Why that was appropriate was none of his business, nor anyone else's.

There may be pretenders out there, but there are even more judgemental types, and I, for one, am more than a little fed up with them.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:58 pm

As usual the selfish few cause problems for the genuine folks....

I take the point on not questioning a disability (that of course may be entirely non-obvious) BUT I intend to continue directing loud verbal remarks at (apparently very much "abled") folks who park in designated "Disabled" car spaces without the appropriate sticker.

If you go and read the "Sticky" posts by Katja you would find several reasons which might explain why a passenger might wheelchair to the plane but can leave the plane without assistance and achieve an apparent arrival miracle. Katja has even posted the airline codes for these various conditions. My sister-in-law is a good example - she cannot descend safely but is able to ascend well enough to make it on her own - not that she can lead the rush. It's the nature of her disabltity.

Yes there are thousands of drivers who misuse handicapped parking spaces, with or without placards, but how do you know which drivers to yell at? If they don't have a placard with them (they lost it - forgot it, were transporting a genuinely handicapped person) they well might have the wallet-sized authorization proof with them which they are required to carry - which a passerby could not see. Maybe requiring everybody to have metal automobile handicapped license plates would help.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:42 am

Fine.

You know full well I am sure that the instances we refer to are the most egregious kind... where little (or more likely pretty much zero) doubt exists as to the scam being perpetrated...

We ARE in fact talking of those who "lead the rush"... or near enough.

I yell at fit young men who park in disabled spaces and LEAP out of the car and RUN into the shops... and when challenged they are unable to offer any of the "no permit displayed" justifications suggested here (because they are in fact breaking the law)... In fact they tend to be either abusive or highly defensive "I was only there for a minute! etc... Like that matters.

...but hey.. according to folks here they may actually be disabled so I'll stop doing that... and they'll be able to continue parking there and never actually be "called" on it.

I thought I was doing the appropriate thing.

Excuse me.

Last edited by trooper; Jan 22, 2013 at 3:09 am
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:33 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Channel 7 news in SAN used to stake out disabled parking spaces in area malls during Christmas shopping season and try to interview people who parked there with no sticker. Some of it was hilarious, some just pathetic.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:20 am

Fine.

You know full well I am sure that the instances we refer to are the most egregious kind... where little (or more likely pretty much zero) doubt exists as to the scam being perpetrated...

No, I don't know about your assumptions about the medical condition of your fellow travelers. What I do know is exactly what you wrote:

I gave you exactly what you asked for, an example of a specific physical condition which would result in what you seem to find so offensive: a passenger needing to be "wheelchaired" to the plane but able to walk off without assistance and you chose to reply with snark and sarcasm. Hardly makes your argument that those whose utilize assistance for those with disabilities are scammers look convincing.

We ARE in fact talking of those who "lead the rush"... or near enough.
No, the title of this thread is "Poor behaviour by presumptively able bodied people replying to threads in this forum. Think about that one for a moment.

I yell at fit young men who park in disabled spaces and LEAP out of the car and RUN into the shops... and when challenged they are unable to offer any of the "no permit displayed" justifications suggested here (because they are in fact breaking the law)... In fact they tend to be either abusive or highly defensive "I was only there for a minute! etc... Like that matters.

...but hey.. according to folks here they may actually be disabled so I'll stop doing that... and they'll be able to continue parking there and never actually be "called" on it.

I thought I was doing the appropriate thing.

Excuse me.
Are you are law enforcement officer? If not, then all you're doing is being judgmental. If you seriously believe you are seeing a violation of the law, then call those entrusted with enforcing the law and then let them deal with the situation. While I was going through chemo I made a point of trying to "normal" even I felt half dead, and as a result I dealt with a few pompous jerks who thought they had the right to enforce the law without a badge, and I have only contempt for such people.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Are you are law enforcement officer? If not, then all you're doing is being judgmental. If you seriously believe you are seeing a violation of the law, then call those entrusted with enforcing the law and then let them deal with the situation.
Law enforcement does not do enough to enforce laws. In the case of disabled parking, their excuse is that it is private property and they can't do anything. Those with disabilities get frustrated at the inability to get the rules enforced fairly. That's when they begin to speak out. That's what's happening here.

This thread is more about those, who do not have disabilities, calling those, who do have them, out as pretenders taking advantage of the system that they themselves want to take advantage of. They throw out words like, "entitled" in a hurtful way. Those hurt, but it hurts worse when they are (rarely) correct about an individual who really is gaming the system. Those individuals make it worse for the rest of us. It's a never ending cycle.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: Qantas, Gold Passport, SPG
This thread is so misguided it is incredible.

I do not believe that anyone would use a wheelchair, even once, if they didn't have to. Anyone who suggests otherwise is seriously misguided at best, and down right despicable at worst.

No one who has ever had to use a wheelchair, would suggest that anyone doing so is faking. Because they would understand the absolute humiliation that comes from disclosing our most personal and private medical information in order to be afforded an accommodation to make our access to things that able bodied people take for granted equal.

Because that is what you think you have the right to. Deny us equal participation in society.

To those who maintain this fiction, I say this to you: you should go down on your knees every night and thank God almighty that he has so blessed your life that neither you, nor anyone in your family has lived a life in pain, disability, or blindness. Your insensitivity and hubris is amazing. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Next time, just stop and think, "There but for the grace of God go I".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.