Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Was this woman running a "wheelchair scam?"

Was this woman running a "wheelchair scam?"

Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by adpucci
I have often mused that if I have connecting flights at FRA, AMS or CDG (which happens often) I ought to request Special Assistance (i.e. a wheelchair), so that I won't have to run like an idiot in high heels and with a heavy laptop swinging for a mile or more.

I've never done it yet but hey is it not tempting when I finally make it to my connecting flight and my back is killing me...
You said it, not me.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by adpucci
I have often mused that if I have connecting flights at FRA, AMS or CDG (which happens often) I ought to request Special Assistance (i.e. a wheelchair), so that I won't have to run like an idiot in high heels and with a heavy laptop swinging for a mile or more.

I've never done it yet but hey is it not tempting when I finally make it to my connecting flight and my back is killing me...
Why not wear more appropriate footwear for travel? It sounds like fixing this problem would easily be within one's control.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:26 am

I have a brother and sister in law that flies monthly round trip on Southwest from BWI to PBI. Twice a year my 84 year old mother in law travels with them from Jupiter, FL to PA for a family visit. This idiot is tall so he takes advantage or her age and wheel chairs her to the gate and onto a choice seat on the plane and then reserves a seat next to him for his wife.
I do not have a problem with him wheeling her to the gate to find a seat. The problem is that she is healthy and strong enough to get into the cattle call line and board the plane herself. To me this is no different than illegally parking in a handicap parking spot.

Last edited by glenncurtisfan; Dec 17, 2014 at 7:53 am
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:15 pm

You've now posted the same story in 2 different threads, and I'm still trying to figure out what your point is.

Are you expecting an airline rep to read your posts, demand the name of the brother who commits "disability fraud" and stop him at the gate? AFAIK there are no "disability fraud" cops monitoring this forum.

Or do you intend to contact the airline yourself before the brother's next flight and report him?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.