Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Airport Advice: Travelers with Disabilities

Old May 18, 2012, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton

I wil have a nephew traveling alone to visit me in Cincinnati. Although he is 29, he is autistic ( aspergers) and is not retarded but has some problems with confusing situations and speaks and understands english only somewhat. He has traveled with his family quite a bit. I am not worried about his ability to fly but am a little concerned about changing planes in Atlanta ( he will have to change planes- CVG has almost no non stops from Europe now) . Is there a paid meet and greet service that will help him and assist if there is a flight problem? Not sure I trust Delta services.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Here's one option that came up when I Google'd 'airport meet and greet service Atlanta': http://www.atlantaairportconcierges....et--greet.html It says they can meet at the gate, but wonder how they handle an international arrival, that process can be confusing.

I was once on a flight with a young man who looked to be late teens/early 20s and had UM-type service for his connection in ATL. The FAs were very attentive to him in flight & on arrival in ATL explained that he needed to sit tight & wait for everyone else to get off, then somebody would be right there to take him to his next flight. As an aside, he had a bulkhead aisle & a couple asked him to change seats so they could sit together, offering up the wife's middle seat in the next row. He showed them his BP, was insistent that the FA told him to sit 'right here' & would not budge. Good for him, it was a long flight!

While you don't seem to want the airline to handle it, if they did offer such a service they would be responsible for getting him to where he needs to go.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:13 am
Wid
In memoriam

Delta has these services available free of charge!

I am a Delta Air Lines employee at the Atlanta airport who also happens to be a Complaint Resolution Official (CRO) that receives special training in assisting passengers with disabilities. We are always available at all airport locations worldwide during our hours of operation and also 24/7 via telephone at our CRO Desk in Delta Reservations. These services are offered to hundreds of passengers like your nephew around the world in airports every day and at no charge. Please see the information that I have included below from delta.com so that you can contact Delta to request this assistance in advance of your nephew's travel.

WE ARE HERE TO HELP!

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ties/index.jsp

Services for Travelers with Disabilities

We give passengers the very best service, whatever their circumstances. Accessibility is a primary concern of ours. We're always available to help passengers who need it. Learn more about the services we offer here. Then, to request any of these services, contact Reservations at 1-800-221-1212.

For additional assistance, feel free to ask our customer service personnel for a Complaint Resolution Official (CRO). Our CROs have been specially trained and are aware of applicable Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) disability regulations. They will be glad to respond to your concerns. Our CROs are available at all airport locations. Our brochure, Traveling with Disabilities, can provide more complete information about services we provide for the disabled.

Cognitive Disabilities

Some customers may be easily disoriented while traveling so we will meet and assist them during flights and in making connections. However, we will not stay with a customer while waiting for a connecting flight. If for some reason, you need undivided supervision, please consider traveling with a safety assistant. For more information about safety assistants see www.delta.com/disability.

Customers with cognitive disabilities, in many cases, are fully mobile, only needing assistance through the airport. We do not require wheelchair assistance in order to get this service. In the event that you are told you must accept a wheelchair in order to get to the gate, to your connection or to baggage claim, the curb or ground transportation, please ask for any uniformed agent to bring a CRO to you to resolve your concern.

To learn more about the Air Carrier Access Act (14 CFR Part 382), download the Department of Transportation regulations on Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel in PDF format here:

http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.ne...e_May_2008.pdf

Safe travels!
Old May 19, 2012, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Deeply touched by all your generous replies. My Nephew will probably not be traveling till September. To be quite honest, I was starting resarch early, thinking that it might be quite a job to find help for an adult going through Atlanta. You have all been most kind and I will remember your offers! And thanks to the memeber of the Delta team. I had no idea that your help was so available.
Old May 20, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Wid
I am a Delta Air Lines employee at the Atlanta airport who also happens to be a Complaint Resolution Official (CRO) that receives special training in assisting passengers with disabilities. We are always available at all airport locations worldwide during our hours of operation and also 24/7 via telephone at our CRO Desk in Delta Reservations. These services are offered to hundreds of passengers like your nephew around the world in airports every day and at no charge. Please see the information that I have included below from delta.com so that you can contact Delta to request this assistance in advance of your nephew's travel.

WE ARE HERE TO HELP!

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ties/index.jsp

Services for Travelers with Disabilities

We give passengers the very best service, whatever their circumstances. Accessibility is a primary concern of ours. We're always available to help passengers who need it. Learn more about the services we offer here. Then, to request any of these services, contact Reservations at 1-800-221-1212.

For additional assistance, feel free to ask our customer service personnel for a Complaint Resolution Official (CRO). Our CROs have been specially trained and are aware of applicable Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) disability regulations. They will be glad to respond to your concerns. Our CROs are available at all airport locations. Our brochure, Traveling with Disabilities, can provide more complete information about services we provide for the disabled.

Cognitive Disabilities

Some customers may be easily disoriented while traveling so we will meet and assist them during flights and in making connections. However, we will not stay with a customer while waiting for a connecting flight. If for some reason, you need undivided supervision, please consider traveling with a safety assistant. For more information about safety assistants see www.delta.com/disability.

Customers with cognitive disabilities, in many cases, are fully mobile, only needing assistance through the airport. We do not require wheelchair assistance in order to get this service. In the event that you are told you must accept a wheelchair in order to get to the gate, to your connection or to baggage claim, the curb or ground transportation, please ask for any uniformed agent to bring a CRO to you to resolve your concern.

To learn more about the Air Carrier Access Act (14 CFR Part 382), download the Department of Transportation regulations on Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel in PDF format here:

http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.ne...e_May_2008.pdf

Safe travels!
OP, ake sure you didn't miss the sentence I highlighted in bold text.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.