Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Wheelchair assistance vs. electric golf cart "ride"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D

Pardon a newbie question. I have a moderate, temporary disability involving my feet. I can walk some distances, but not long distances at a quick pace, such as found in airports, especially with connecting flights.

Someone told me I should ask for wheelchair assistance. Is there an alternative? I used to see those electric golf carts zipping around with elderly, presumably mobility impaired pax. Is that type of intra airport transport available, and if so how would you go about requesting it? Or should I just ask for wheelchair assistance?

Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Most airports do not have electric carts. So ask for wheelchair assistance in your airline reservation. If you are at an airport that uses electric carts then that is most likely what you'll get. If not you can get a wheelchair ride from the curb (if necessary) to the plane and back. If you'll be flying to/from a smaller airport or on smaller aircraft (less that 80 seats) be sure to let your airline(s) know whether or not you can climb stairs.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Thanks for the tips. A couple of months ago my sister arranged for wheelchair assistance through ORD after a minor medical procedure, which I did appreciate, but if felt overboard since I can walk short distances. I guess I will just relax and do as much for myself as I can, and not stress about taking up resources that other more disabled pax need.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:44 pm

Don't stress. That's what those resources are there for. Use them. And I hope you recover quickly and uneventfully.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
When you check in you can request assistance to get to gate, onto the plane etc. Some airport uses electric carts and some have attendants pushing wheelchairs. One needs to be prepared to wait for the cart or an available attendant.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:50 am

I have a question, I know with wheelchair, things are easier through security but what if a airport offers both wheelchair and the carts, will the trip from the ticket counter to the gate be part wheelchair and part cart?
Old May 1, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I didn't realize that airports with electric carts replace wheelchairs. I know wheelchairs are used from cart to boarding door and vice versa, but does that mean wheelchairs are not driven around the airport. Is the standard way to book a cart via the airline? or can you do it through the airport? Is it always free? Do you have to tip?
Old May 2, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: priority club
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I didn't realize that airports with electric carts replace wheelchairs. I know wheelchairs are used from cart to boarding door and vice versa, but does that mean wheelchairs are not driven around the airport. Is the standard way to book a cart via the airline? or can you do it through the airport? Is it always free? Do you have to tip?
Carts do not usually replace wheelchairs. Airports usually have both and which is used depends on your needs and the distances involved.

All assistance should be booked via your airline (they pay the airport for the service) so it is free for the customer, tipping is optional and only needs to be a small amount if you choose to.

Carts are often used for those with walking difficulties but who don't require a chair for the ramp to the plane, if you do require a chair then it will often be used for the entire trip through the airport to avoid the need for transfers between chair and cart.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:38 pm

From experience with my mom during the past week, on UA in IAH, they used both wheelchairs to a certain point and then came the cart. On AA in MIA, they used wheelchairs and then dropped people off in a waiting area before a second wheelchair came for the people who needed wheelchairs then it went to a transfer point where a electric cart took them to the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.