Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

missing out on kiosk check in for AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Since I have a service dog, I have to check in at the counter instead of the kiosk.

The kiosks for American Airlines sometimes allow you to pay for upgrades to first class if there are seats available.

The check in person last time I flew acted like no one ever gets to buy upgrades from the kiosk when I asked how much it would be for me to upgrade my seat.

Can I access the kiosk after checking in? Kiosks also allow you to choose a different seat if one is available. I have a perfect seat, so that is not a concern this time. But other times I would hate to not have that option if there is a better seat available or if I am traveling with someone I'd like to sit next to.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
Are you not always assigned to bulkhead seats when you travel with a service dog? It is my understanding that when you fly with a service dog you can request to be assigned to bulkhead seats well before the flight by just calling the airline.

On some occasions I have had physical issues that were best resolved with bulkhead seating. I call and request assignment to these seats, and they are provided with the understanding that should a passenger board with a service animal, I would have to give the bulkhead to the passenger with the animal.

I do not know about purchasing an upgrade at the kiosk, but again, wouldn't you have to be seated in the bulkhead in FC as well? If first class upgrades are available at the kiosk, why would they not be available at the ticket counter?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 2:22 pm

This actually might be better answered in the American Airlines forum, as paid upgrade availability is a complex subject. Let me know if you'd like me to move the thread.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Ms. Dallas
Since I have a service dog, I have to check in at the counter instead of the kiosk.

The kiosks for American Airlines sometimes allow you to pay for upgrades to first class if there are seats available.

The check in person last time I flew acted like no one ever gets to buy upgrades from the kiosk when I asked how much it would be for me to upgrade my seat.

Can I access the kiosk after checking in? Kiosks also allow you to choose a different seat if one is available. I have a perfect seat, so that is not a concern this time. But other times I would hate to not have that option if there is a better seat available or if I am traveling with someone I'd like to sit next to.
Yes, it is possible to use the kiosk after checking in with an agent at the counter. To do this, select the "Stand-by/reprint/other options" button and if available, you will be offered the upgrade and prompted to insert a credit card as payment to confirm the upgrade. Please consult this thread for more information. As for the arrangements for having a service dog on the record, I don't think purchasing the upgrade should change anything but it maybe worth checking back with agents.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Yes, it is possible to use the kiosk after checking in with an agent at the counter. To do this, select the "Stand-by/reprint/other options" button and if available, you will be offered the upgrade and prompted to insert a credit card as payment to confirm the upgrade. Please consult this thread for more information. As for the arrangements for having a service dog on the record, I don't think purchasing the upgrade should change anything but it maybe worth checking back with agents.
I have no experience with any of that, but could they go to the kiosk first and then see an agent? Why agent then kiosk then agent again? Just curious?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
American's special assistance people at 800-237-7976 are really first class, no pun intended.

I travel with a wheelchair and have no idea what is involved in service animal accommodation. I know American will reserve bulkhead seating in coach for service animals on the MD-80, 737, 767, and 777. However, there is no bulkhead seating available on a 757 (which seem to be very very common anywhere within the US) for any types of disabilities, because the only bulkhead rows are exit rows on 757s.

American will not reserve any first or business class seating for disabled/special service passengers. So, if you are able to secure an upgrade to first class there's no guarantee that you'll get a bulkhead seat with space for your service animal. I have no idea how large your service animal is, but if it's a dog, the dog would be seem to be more comfortable against the bulkhead than crammed between standard domestic first-class seats. Good luck though!

Although the OP's question was aimed primarily at American Airlines, I believe that you will find similar results at all other legacy carriers in the US. I don't believe this is an American airline specific post as those on the American Airlines are unlikely to have more experience with service animal requests than those folks that monitor this forum.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

I think it might be their preference to check people with disabilities in the line, since I was able to use the kiosk at a smaller airport recently.

I wish I knew that I could use the kiosk after checking in to see if I could purchase an upgrade to first.

My dog will most likely fit just fine under (and in the leg space) the first class seats. She is just a bit too big to fit under economy seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.