Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Help please: travelling with elderly but stubborn grandparents

Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc

I am taking my 90 year old grandparents to Berlin in April from Heathrow with BMI. I have managed to get business tickets so we will have lounge access to make things easier.

My grandparents are fiercely independent. I think they would refuse to get in a wheelchair, but I'm not sure they realise the distances involved in navigating Heathrow. They can walk some way very slowly but I'm not sure they'll manage the queue at passport control or standing around for baggage reclaim. I have seen one company offering assistance but it is around 100 which I can't afford. Does anyone know if you can manage IRIS if have very poor eyesight (registered as blind but can see a bit)?

On the way out, there will be 3 people to help them so I am hoping we will be ok. But on the return the only person who can help is my aunt (retired but very mobile).

Does anyone know if it is possible to get an electric buggy (might get them in that) or assistance with getting luggage without getting the wheelchairs. I don't want my grandparents to be upset and I think they would be if 2 wheelchairs appeared. I have looked online but it only says about the chairs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Katja; Jan 4, 2011 at 8:46 am
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:06 am

The BMI gates are quite far, as you may know, from the main check point at LHR.

From TXL, you will most likely have it far easier as the security and check in is right before the gate, and if you are taking a taxi you can usually be dropped right in front of the appropriate gate area. (If you haven't been to TXL before look at a diagram of the airport and you will see that it has a rather unusual layout)
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: DL UA
Can you try a little reverse psychology?
As in
" I know that you can make the walk but people are so very rude in airports that they will think nothing of knocking you over in their rush to get to their gates . So taking the assistance is the only reasonable option -etc."

Or perhaps a financial perspective ( this angle worked on all topics with my grandfather)
" to get a reasonable fare I had to book with a shorter connection ( earlier flight, further gate whatever) than I would have liked and it won't leave us time to walk."

Good luck!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:02 pm

Forgot to add that before you return to TXL look up the gate online. That way the cab driver can drop you very close; they always ask me which gate. That piece couldn't be easier or closer which is the good news, as you will only have to figure out the front end at LHR.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
When was the last time your grandparents flew internationally? You could open discussion on that note. Ask them to tell you about their experience in the airports then. Listen to their story and ask questions. Let them talk.

Then you can point out that many things have changed in international air travel. There are so many more travelers now, airports are far bigger, walking is difficult due to crowds. Emphasize that your concern is for their comfort and well-being.

I'm always at a loss when people refuse a wheelchair. My husband's elderly aunt used to refuse a wheelchair and it made it very difficult for those accompanying her. She nearly fell while being frisked, and they would not let me steady her. You could emphasize that so many things have become more difficult at the airport.

Sometimes elderly people refuse help because they don't want people "looking at them." Stress that things are so confusing at airport security and people are in such a hurry that no one looks at anyone else. Good luck.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
I had a similar problem taking my aunt away- in the end I told her I' booked us a "cart" as it looked like fun. I had everything crossed we would get a cart and not a wheelchair-and thankfully we did. When she saw the distance she commented she was surprised I hadn't booked her any assistance !!! DOH
Old Jan 2, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Please have a note added to their/your reservation. Call the airline and have it added to the record. It will make life easier for everyone especially them. If they want to refuse the cart/wheelchair, they can, but if it is not in the record it can be difficult to get help later.

Any travel, especially international is difficult, for young, old, able-bodied, ect... The distances in LHR are vast and after they spend the day traveling they will be tired when they get to Berlin. I am sure they will appreciate the extra thought you put in to ensure they have an enjoyable trip.

Talk to them about it beforehand, let them know the decision is up to them, but you wanted to make sure they had a nice, non-stressful trip. I have found that the "helpers" for both carts and wheelchairs are very nice and accommodating in both the UK and DE.

Enjoy your trip, take your time and don't sweat the small stuff!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Thanks for the advice. I will go ahead and book assistance. I spoke to my mum and she suggested saying it was airport protocol for elderly people to have wheelchairs and then there can be no argueing. I am sure they do not realise the distances involved. Even if they did, they would probably think they could do it as they tend to think they are more independent than they are!

Does anyone know if there is a way to the T1 BMI lounge that doesn't involve stairs?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by price123
Does anyone know if there is a way to the T1 BMI lounge that doesn't involve stairs?
I may well be wrong, but when one turns left past Boots, there is a ramp downwards that avoids the few stairs, and then there MAY be (but again I may be imagining) an elevator on the right across from the escalators which go up.

I know that the ramp is there, but I may not be certain about the elevator. But that is definitely something which with special services can assist. I would also ask the question on the BMI forum as they would know better than I (I tend to use the *A lounge in T1 when time permits)
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
The idea about airport protocal was brilliant. I wished I would have thought of something that diplomatic. Ultimately I told me stubborn mother that her refusal to use a wheelchair made traveling with her much more difficult for me, and if she loved me she would sit in the chair. She did.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.