Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Gluten Free in United States?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD ; LH SEN *Gold ; IHG Ambassador ; HHonors Diamond ; Marriott Gold

Hi all,

In a few days I will be again in the U.S. but the first time when I need to eat Gluten Free...

I will fly 16 times with US Airways in First Class (Mileage Run ) but I checked already that I can't order GFML on board!

Where can I buy Glutenfree articles in:

LAX and SEA City? and CLT, EWR, PHX and SJU Airports?

I want to buy Gluten Free Food in the U.S. for taking on board on the flights for during the day.

Thank you very much in advance for your answer

Cheers,
Kenneth
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:08 pm

I'll be blunt: what you want probably isn't possible. To come close to it, you'll need a lot more info that I can post on FT.

First, understand that the U.S. regulations on the legal definition of "gluten-free" are not yet in effect, so labeling laws aren't the help they should be.

Next, our commercial culture is such that many businesses, especially food service places, will tell you that they can't guarantee their food is GF and will advise you not to eat it because they are worried about law suits and liability insurance. On our last transit through PHX the only things there we could eat where a fruit cup and a side order of plain rice.

Airlines, especially US Airways, are zero help, which is ironic because the last issue that I saw of their inflight magazine had an article on celiac disease.

Your best bet is shopping off airport and carrying your own food for all stages of air travel - despite the TSA's regulations, that is possible, especially if you carry a letter of medical necessity.

LAX and SEA are very large cities, if you can be more specific about exactly where in them you'll be, I can probably get you some shopping options.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD ; LH SEN *Gold ; IHG Ambassador ; HHonors Diamond ; Marriott Gold
Thanks for your reply

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Your best bet is shopping off airport and carrying your own food for all stages of air travel - despite the TSA's regulations, that is possible, especially if you carry a letter of medical necessity.
... OK I don't have a letter at the moment in english, but I think I will be able to bring some fruits and crackers as carry-on on board?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:48 pm

You can bring fruit, crackers, cheese (usually), lunch meat but not a packet of mayo or ketchup, no yogurt (the TSA says yogurt is a liquid ). We also bring nuts - but not nut butter, dried fruit, chips, candy, and GF baked goods on the plane. The letter of medical necessity is helpful but not critical if you are traveling with special diet foods but not liquid medicines. However, even with a doctor's letter, they will confiscate your yogurt.

As far as shopping, your best bet would be a Whole Foods supermarket - a health food chain pretty well spread across the U.S. I don't know of the specific locations in the cities you mention, try the company website. If you can find Udi's Gluten-Free Bread in a store, buy it for the flights as it tastes good at room temperature (at least we think so) and keeps well.

If you have time and transportation, I can probably find more specific GF shops for you in those cities.

If you don't mind saying, what country are you coming from? I'm always curious to know how GF is handled in other places, because the U.S. is way backwards on it.

p.s. look for the Udi's bread in the freezer case
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
As far as shopping, your best bet would be a Whole Foods supermarket - a health food chain pretty well spread across the U.S. I don't know of the specific locations in the cities you mention, try the company website. If you can find Udi's Gluten-Free Bread in a store, buy it for the flights as it tastes good at room temperature (at least we think so) and keeps well.
This was my first thought as well. I'm not restricted to GF but do need sugar-free products. I periodically check Whole Foods, and while their sugar free and no-sugar-added products are limited, I always see a goo range of GF products, espeially in the bakery.

In a different FT forum, someone noted that there is a large, well-stocked Whole Foods store in El Segundo, which is close to LAX.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
This was my first thought as well. I'm not restricted to GF but do need sugar-free products. I periodically check Whole Foods, and while their sugar free and no-sugar-added products are limited, I always see a goo range of GF products, espeially in the bakery.
One should be extremely careful about buying gluten-free WF brand baked goods sold at room temperature in the bakery department. They are all baked in North Carolina and from there shipped frozen around the country to the stores. If you buy them frozen, they will keep a decent period of time in the freezer. If you buy them already thawed, you should check for mold before you purchase it, and use it within 24 hours.

This applies only to the Whole Foods brand items, the Ener-G are shelf stable, but really, really need to be toasted just before eating. Udi's bread and muffins are good at room temperature, but keeps longer stored in the fridge after purchase. Will keep maybe 4 days at room temp.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
DW is gluten-free, so we deal with this regularly. Whole Foods is a good resource. Many of the other big grocery chains are starting to stock a decent amount of items (HEB in Texas is one of them).

Two chain restaurants you can count on for GF meals, from our personal experience - PF Changs (chinese) and Outback (steaks). They both advertise they do GF, and haven't done us wrong yet. Tip for PF Changs if there are two of you dining - their 'Dinner for Two" menu doesn't list GF, but you can order any items that appear on both - substituting the GF version for the listed version.

I'm surprised USAir doesn't offer GF meals. United does, but they're crap. Bring your own food.

joe
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:34 am
Original Poster

You can bring fruit, crackers, cheese (usually), lunch meat but not a packet of mayo or ketchup, no yogurt (the TSA says yogurt is a liquid ). We also bring nuts - but not nut butter, dried fruit, chips, candy, and GF baked goods on the plane. The letter of medical necessity is helpful but not critical if you are traveling with special diet foods but not liquid medicines. However, even with a doctor's letter, they will confiscate your yogurt.

If you have time and transportation, I can probably find more specific GF shops for you in those cities.

If you don't mind saying, what country are you coming from? I'm always curious to know how GF is handled in other places, because the U.S. is way backwards on it.

p.s. look for the Udi's bread in the freezer case

I also can't eat yogurt... Lactose-intolerance

But it's good to hear that fruits are allowed, should be served as well on US F Flights?

I am from Switzerland, and there are not that much GF Products on Sale but since one year it's comming better from month to month ^

I will check about finding this bread in a store!

The Problem is... I don't have so much time for shopping GF Products...

I will arrive on 9 FEB at 16:45 with LX40 from Zurich and I will stay one night at Custom Hotel (8639 Lincoln Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, 90045) and my next flight is on 10FEB at 06:30 with US to CLT (with stops in PHX and EWR)
I will stay on 13 and 14FEB in Seattle and there i will be able first time to go into a "special" shop which sells GF Products.

And again in LAX from 17 until 21FEB (here I already hired a car )

I already used Google and I found a website about Glutenfree Food: www.glutenfree.com , does anybody know this online shop? Should I order Products and deliver this to Custom Hotel LAX?

Thank you all for your replies ^
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Kenneth1989
I also can't eat yogurt... Lactose-intolerance

But it's good to hear that fruits are allowed, should be served as well on US F Flights?

I am from Switzerland, and there are not that much GF Products on Sale but since one year it's comming better from month to month ^

I will check about finding this bread in a store!

The Problem is... I don't have so much time for shopping GF Products...

I will arrive on 9 FEB at 16:45 with LX40 from Zurich and I will stay one night at Custom Hotel (8639 Lincoln Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, 90045) and my next flight is on 10FEB at 06:30 with US to CLT (with stops in PHX and EWR)
I will stay on 13 and 14FEB in Seattle and there i will be able first time to go into a "special" shop which sells GF Products.

And again in LAX from 17 until 21FEB (here I already hired a car )

I already used Google and I found a website about Glutenfree Food: www.glutenfree.com , does anybody know this online shop? Should I order Products and deliver this to Custom Hotel LAX?

Thank you all for your replies ^
Link for Seattle: this site has a lot of local information for Seattle.

I would not try ordering from a web store and expecting it to be at the hotel when you arrive. In theory, this is possible, in reality, it is expensive and unlikely to successful. However, you might contact a GF bakery in LA - http://thesensitivebaker.com/ - and see if you could arrange for them to either deliver to the hotel ($$$) or pick things up there on arrival.

Can't speculate what US F might, just know their coach class has nothing at all.

FWIW you can buy lactose-free yogurt and kefir in the U.S. if it is strictly a lactose problem, if it's casein, different story.

What cities will you be in Feb. 10 to Feb. 13? I may have more links for you. If you have a long enough layover at EWR there are some GF restaurants in NYC that can be reached by transit.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:44 am

cross-contamination

More and more American hotels now offer a continental breakfast. You'll like find fruit and a lot of gluten there. However, if you have your own bread, you can toast it safely with ToastIt Bags. They're made in Belgium, so I would guess you could buy them in Europe before you leave home. We've used them for years. Jam and butter would be single serving containers, so no contamination issues likely there.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:49 am

I eat only gluten free foods and have found that the hotel where you're staying will make you something to take on the plane. Just tell them you need it to be gluten free. Salads are always pretty safe minus the croutons. It's not too difficult to get gluten free food to eat in hotel restaurants as long as you tell them. The food industry, in the USA, is becoming more aware of celiac disease as well as wheat intolerance diets.

In many of the airports there is a place where you can get salads to take on the plane but I wouldn't count on it.

I just checked US Airways web site and it states that you can order a gluten free meal on international flights. Go to their section IN THE AIR and click on SPECIAL MEALS. It lists gluten free.

Last edited by b1513; Jan 22, 2011 at 8:56 am
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by b1513
I eat only gluten free foods and have found that the hotel where you're staying will make you something to take on the plane. Just tell them you need it to be gluten free. Salads are always pretty safe minus the croutons. It's not too difficult to get gluten free food to eat in hotel restaurants as long as you tell them.
We live in the same state, but I don't think we're on the same planet. How many hotels even still have full service restaurants? Let alone know how to prepare a salad without cross-contamination problems? When one eats GF for medical reasons rather than preference, the standards have to much stricter and the acceptable level of risk is far lower.

The food industry, in the USA, is becoming more aware of celiac disease as well as wheat intolerance diets.
We are DEFINITELY not on the same planet.

In many of the airports there is a place where you can get salads to take on the plane but I wouldn't count on it.
Neither would I, my experience is that the best most airports offer is a candy bar or bag of chips. Sometimes we find fruit cups, and once in a while frozen yogurt.

I just checked US Airways web site and it states that you can order a gluten free meal on international flights. Go to their section IN THE AIR and click on SPECIAL MEALS. It lists gluten free.
I think most of the OP's flights will be domestic, and the GF meal is not available for those.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Here are my flights for my MileageRun:

10FEB LOS ANGELES LAX 1 - PHOENIX PHX US 3 06:30 08:50 A OK
10FEB PHOENIX PHX 4 - NEW EWR US 687 09:45 16:29 A OK
10FEB NEW EWR A - CHARLOTTE CLT US 1491 18:29 20:32 A OK

11FEB CHARLOTTE CLT - SAN JUAN SJU US 1032 09:50 14:17 A OK
11FEB SAN JUAN SJU B - CHARLOTTE CLT US 1035 17:40 20:29 A OK

12FEB CHARLOTTE CLT - NEW EWR US 1576 11:20 13:06 A OK
12FEB NEW EWR A - PHOENIX PHX US 261 16:35 20:05 A OK
12FEB PHOENIX PHX 4 - SEATTLE SEA US 77 21:10 23:14 A OK

15FEB SEATTLE SEA - PHOENIX PHX US 632 05:15 09:03 A OK
15FEB PHOENIX PHX 4 - NEW EWR US 687 09:45 16:29 A OK
15FEB NEW EWR A - CHARLOTTE CLT US 1491 18:29 20:32 A OK

16FEB CHARLOTTE CLT - SAN JUAN SJU US 1032 09:50 14:17 A OK
16FEB SAN JUAN SJU B - CHARLOTTE CLT US 1035 17:40 20:29 A OK

17FEB CHARLOTTE CLT - NEW EWR US 1640 07:48 09:32 A OK
17FEB NEW EWR A - PHOENIX PHX US 604 10:10 13:38 A OK
17FEB PHOENIX PHX 4 - LOS ANGELES LAX US 29 14:50 15:17 A OK

Then I should contact the Hotel and inform them that I need GF - Food?
I would alyo pay extra, if they can arrange something GF!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kenneth1989
Here are my flights for my MileageRun:

10FEB LOS ANGELES LAX 1 - PHOENIX PHX US 3 06:30 08:50 A OK
10FEB PHOENIX PHX 4 - NEW EWR US 687 09:45 16:29 A OK
10FEB NEW EWR A - CHARLOTTE CLT US 1491 18:29 20:32 A OK

11FEB CHARLOTTE CLT - SAN JUAN SJU US 1032 09:50 14:17 A OK
11FEB SAN JUAN SJU B - CHARLOTTE CLT US 1035 17:40 20:29 A OK

12FEB CHARLOTTE CLT - NEW EWR US 1576 11:20 13:06 A OK
12FEB NEW EWR A - PHOENIX PHX US 261 16:35 20:05 A OK
12FEB PHOENIX PHX 4 - SEATTLE SEA US 77 21:10 23:14 A OK

15FEB SEATTLE SEA - PHOENIX PHX US 632 05:15 09:03 A OK
15FEB PHOENIX PHX 4 - NEW EWR US 687 09:45 16:29 A OK
15FEB NEW EWR A - CHARLOTTE CLT US 1491 18:29 20:32 A OK

16FEB CHARLOTTE CLT - SAN JUAN SJU US 1032 09:50 14:17 A OK
16FEB SAN JUAN SJU B - CHARLOTTE CLT US 1035 17:40 20:29 A OK

17FEB CHARLOTTE CLT - NEW EWR US 1640 07:48 09:32 A OK
17FEB NEW EWR A - PHOENIX PHX US 604 10:10 13:38 A OK
17FEB PHOENIX PHX 4 - LOS ANGELES LAX US 29 14:50 15:17 A OK

Then I should contact the Hotel and inform them that I need GF - Food?
I would alyo pay extra, if they can arrange something GF!
In any other environment, my question would be why?, but this is FT afterall.

I think you will find it very difficult to get enough to eat on your travel days. Most health food stores, even the Whole Foods chain, close by 8 or 9 pm so it will be difficult for you to buy GF goods when your flight doesn't arrive until 8:30 pm. In Charlotte, for example, you don't have a window of time that would allow for shopping. Arrive at 8:30 pm - won't be able to get to a store before 9:00 closing. Leave the next morning at 9:50 am - means you need to be at the airport by 8:00 am - which means that unless you have a car and get up very early, you don't have time to shop.

The Charlotte support group has this page with info on local options: http://www.charlotte-celiac-connecti..._Shopping.html . Your best choice is probably the Bloom store about 5 miles from the airport as it is open until 11 pm, but I don't see any other things that work with your flights.

Most hotels do not offer modified gluten-free foods such as bread, rolls, pancakes or cereal. You may find fruit, eggs, and bacon or sausage, but you will need to ask careful questions about the possibility of cross-contamination.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks you 10'000 times

I sent already an e-mail to all hotels to ask in advance if they can organize something for breakfast @:-)

I will take a taxi to this store for shopping

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.