Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Gluten Free in United States?

Gluten Free in United States?

Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kenneth1989
Thanks you 10'000 times

I sent already an e-mail to all hotels to ask in advance if they can organize something for breakfast @:-)

I will take a taxi to this store for shopping
After your trip, please post which hotels were able to provide something gluten-free for you.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:13 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
When you're in Seattle, ask where the nearest Fred Meyer store is. They usually have a large natural foods section and have gluten-free products as well.

QFC is also an option (they're owned by the same company as Fred Meyer, FYI) in Seattle, but I'm not sure on what they have for gluten-free options. I don't go to my local QFC as much because I have 3 Fred Meyer stores within 20 minutes of my house as opposed to the QFC which is about 30 min. from my house.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm surprised that US doesn't offer gluten free meals. DL does. In domestic, I've seen a cold chicken plate for lunch and (hot) salmon filet with white rice (and some vegetables?) for dinner, both served with salad, a rice cake, and fruit. There's a rumor that the gluten free dinner on longer flights is steak and vegetables.

In some airports, you can buy pieces of fruit and some prepackaged items, some of which should be gluten free if you read the labels, perhaps salads without croutons. If you're concerned about the salad dressing, can you try lemon juice (squeeze the lemon wedge yourself)? If you have lounge access, you should be able to get pieces of fruit, cheese, etc.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD ; LH SEN *Gold ; IHG Ambassador ; HHonors Diamond ; Marriott Gold
Hi there,

I'm back and still alive!

CLT was the best airport! Chinese Kitchen and next to the take away was an other take away which sells fruits

All hotels didn't serve glutenfree food... But at all it was okay

Thanks to all here and have a nice day,

Cheers Kenneth
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:32 am

We're overjoyed that you're back alive!

Thanks for the report.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Kenneth1989
Hi there,

I'm back and still alive!

CLT was the best airport! Chinese Kitchen and next to the take away was an other take away which sells fruits

All hotels didn't serve glutenfree food... But at all it was okay

Thanks to all here and have a nice day,

Cheers Kenneth
We'd love to see more details of what GF food you found in your travels - airports, shops, etc. Would you tell us a bit more? (I'm always looking for more sources of gluten-free sustenance when we travel)
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
We live in the same state, but I don't think we're on the same planet. How many hotels even still have full service restaurants? Let alone know how to prepare a salad without cross-contamination problems? When one eats GF for medical reasons rather than preference, the standards have to much stricter and the acceptable level of risk is far lower.

We are DEFINITELY not on the same planet.

Neither would I, my experience is that the best most airports offer is a candy bar or bag of chips. Sometimes we find fruit cups, and once in a while frozen yogurt.

I think most of the OP's flights will be domestic, and the GF meal is not available for those.
I have celiac and was stating my experience with hotel prepared take-out after explaining exactly what I need and want. I have had very good luck with doing that. No matter how you slice it, though, airline Coach food is difficult. I wouldn't even attempt any part of it.

The OP is now back and things worked out okay which is good.

Bobette
Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by b1513
I have celiac and was stating my experience with hotel prepared take-out after explaining exactly what I need and want. I have had very good luck with doing that. No matter how you slice it, though, airline Coach food is difficult. I wouldn't even attempt any part of it.

The OP is now back and things worked out okay which is good.

Bobette
Please list the names and cities were you have been able to get the hotel to prepare a gluten-free meal for take-out. I have never encountered such a thing, and would like to know where I should consider staying in the future.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Please list the names and cities were you have been able to get the hotel to prepare a gluten-free meal for take-out. I have never encountered such a thing, and would like to know where I should consider staying in the future.
Rockville Hilton, Bethesda Marriott, Philadelphia Marriott for starters. Look on the menu for something you think will work and have them pack it up for take-out. Now these aren't elaborate. They're lunches that are on their menus. Sometimes it might just be a Cobb salad or possibly a fruit salad with cottage cheese. I've taken the chance with chicken salad, as well. Now that everything is labeled with allergens it has been much better IMO.

Bobette
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:33 am

I came across this the other day: Gluten Free Guide to Italy - looks like they also have New York and other locations.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Katja
I came across this the other day: Gluten Free Guide to Italy - looks like they also have New York and other locations.
Thanks For posting that, Katja. On a side note, I have tried every GF pasta known to man, I think, and can safely say that Bi Aglut, made by Heinz in Italy is top notch. It isn't cheap but It tastes like regular pasta. For a while, it was banned in the USA because of the labeling but now it's available again.

Bobette
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:05 pm

United currently has a gluten free Snack box. It's called Select.

bobette
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by b1513
United currently has a gluten free Snack box. It's called Select.

bobette
I did get one of those on my last trip on United. One FYI - if you need GF (as opposed to just liking what is in that box) speak with the FA during boarding to reserve one. My second United flight they ran of that one very quickly but fortunately I had packed sufficient snacks for the transcon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.