Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

SFO airport: "golf carts" for disabled passengers

Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, AMX Plat, Carlson Gold, SPG Gold

I will be arriving at SFO with my mother, while not technically disabled, she would have a difficult time walking any long distance in the terminal. At my home airport, MSP, there are 'golf cart' shuttles running routes throughout the terminal. Hop on, hop off. Very handy.

Does SFO have anything like this? If not I will order a wheelchair from DL to use at arrival.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:57 am

I suggest, given that your mom is unable to walk long distances, that you request wheelchair assistance from the airline.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

thanks for your answer. I was hoping for the carts, but if they don't exist at SFO I will request a wheel chair from DL.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:47 am

I don't know that they don't exist, I'm just thinking better not to count on them. Sometime when you request wheelchair assist from the airline, in fact what you get is a golf cart. Ask DL when you call them.

I can't get excited about the difference between wheelchair with pusher and the golf cart - but some people seem to think it's very important to get one rather than the other (assuming we're talking about a person who can climb into the cart, etc). Either way you're getting an assist with a long distance walk.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:59 am
Original Poster

You guessed correctly. For my mother, a golf cart ride is VERY different than a wheelchair. In the golf cart she doesn't "look like an old lady". She is 80! LOL
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:18 am

I'm sure there are a lot of older people who feel the same way. For once, I can sympathize with the airline/airport - must be frustrating for them to have people insisting on the carts if someone is standing there with a wheelchair for them.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:47 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPpete
I will be arriving at SFO with my mother, while not technically disabled, she would have a difficult time walking any long distance in the terminal. At my home airport, MSP, there are 'golf cart' shuttles running routes throughout the terminal. Hop on, hop off. Very handy.

Does SFO have anything like this? If not I will order a wheelchair from DL to use at arrival.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Thought I would answer the question anyway. No, unfortunately SFO does not have any electric carts in any of the terminals for disabled passengers. Your only option is to order a wheelchair for your mother.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
ON DL check in or ticket page you can request mobility assistance, there are different level of assistance require.

Just check what she requires and it will be ordered. Also her needs of assistance will be noted in her PNR and boarding passes. There might be a wait when you check in at your first location for the assistance (they have no idea when you will be there). All intermediate stopovers she will be assisted from her plane to the next gate and from the gate at destination to baggage claims or beyond.

A benefit of mobility assistance is bypassing the long lineup at checkpoints. As her travel companion you will be entitle to the same express lane service.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Smile Thank you all for the answers

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful replies. I will order the assistance on the website and then confirm via phone the day before.
^
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Thought I would answer the question anyway. No, unfortunately SFO does not have any electric carts in any of the terminals for disabled passengers. Your only option is to order a wheelchair for your mother.
Just flew out of SFO last month, and there were some sort of carts zipping around the terminal that Jet Blue flies from. I'm not sure if they were for pax or not, but I did see (and was almost run over by) carts in the terminal.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

I have nearly been run over by the carts at IAH! The drivers at MSP are a good balance of careful to walkers but quick for the riders. I did confirm with DL today that a wheel chair is requested. Can't specify that I only need it at SFO, since MSP has the carts. Oh well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.