Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

ResMed CPAPs VPAPS certified for use on aircraft

ResMed CPAPs VPAPS certified for use on aircraft

Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Virgin Atlantic now requires CPAP battery info before approval.

I fly Virgin Atlantic fairly frequently and use my CPAP virtually every flight.

For each reservation I email them asking them to put my CPAP and battery approval in my record so that the info shows up on the plane's manifest.

There must be new guidelines involving Lithium Ion batteries.

I sent my usual request and got this response.

Due to our new regulations we do need to take the battery pack details so I can enter into your booking.

Will wait to hear from you.

Thanks and kindest regards

Helen J Beagley
Special Assistance Advisor
Special Assistance
Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd
The Office, Manor Royal, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9NU
United Kingdom
Phone + 44 (0) 344 481 4455
Fax + 44 (0) 344 209 7373
Lines are open Mon - Fri 0900 - 1800hrs
Passengers calling from the US, please call
Phone 1 888 747 7474
Lines are open Mon - Fri 0400 - 1300hrs Eastern
Email [email protected]
http://www.virgin-atlantic.com

I sent her the link from CPAP.com on my battery and she approved it with the following email.

Thank you for that, this battery pack is cleared to use onboard. Your booking is now updated

Have a wonderful flight.

Many thanks

Steve
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by backdoc
Due to our new regulations we do need to take the battery pack details so I can enter into your booking.
Hmm - makes me wonder if this is airline specific, or if some FAR has changed and they're all having to check on the battery.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:05 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
No battery info request on my October UA flight.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:24 pm

I have a newish Dreamstation auto CPAP. And flying DL on C+, thus fairly upright all night in a TATL. Do I need a doctor's letter at all? Will I have issues from TSA? I have GE, if that matters. Also, to add, I will also carry medically necessary 4-6 11oz cartons of Premier Protein drink as I am recovering from gastric bypass surgery. I supplement my protein intake as these drinks contain 30g of protein. I'll be in London for a week and won't have access to a blender; thus I am schlepping this in my carryon. I'm not bringing checkin luggage. I will obtain a doctor's letter for the protein shakes. It is my understanding I will be more than thoroughly screened because of the drinks. Did I say this is medically necessary?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:07 pm

From Delta's website regarding CPAP

Since you have 2 issues it would be worth calling their special services number at: 800-221-1212

Go to this link on Delta's site, choose SPECIAL CONCERNS then choose ASSISTIVE DEVICES. It has a list of approved CPAPs and if they require specific FAA labeling or not.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...abilities.html
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Practically speaking I never had issue with TSA or DL crew about using my CPAP inflight. I have a Z1 so I do not use the power at the seat.

Your protein supplement: can you bring it in powder form with a shaker cup?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:58 pm

Since you have 2 issues it would be worth calling their special services number at: 800-221-1212

Go to this link on Delta's site, choose SPECIAL CONCERNS then choose ASSISTIVE DEVICES. It has a list of approved CPAPs and if they require specific FAA labeling or not.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...abilities.html
I called Delta and spoke to a CS rep in that department. He happen to also use a CPAP and since I won't be flying in DL1, but in C+, I should be fine as he flies that way. There will be no issue bringing on the machine. I will have a doctor letter for both issues. Sleeping upright will be ok for me, I guess. For the few hours I may sleep, I'll be fine. It's laying flat on my back is when I have issues.

Last edited by CosmosHuman; Apr 1, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
Practically speaking I never had issue with TSA or DL crew about using my CPAP inflight. I have a Z1 so I do not use the power at the seat.

Your protein supplement: can you bring it in powder form with a shaker cup?
I need to have the 30g of protein contained in the ready to drink shakes. This is more convienence for me. The shakes have the nutrition I require.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:00 am

CPAP and A330-300 in UC

TATL without CPAP isn't a fun experience, I would try and use your CPAP in C+. I've found that 3M Command hooks work really well if you stick them to the wall or window to act as a hose hanger. If you're interested I can post photographs on my flight home on April 9.

I had arranged with Virgin Atlantic to use my CPAP on VS2 (EWR-LHR) the day before yesterday. I'd forgotten how little space the pods in this configuration of Upper Class have, there is no space, no ledge behind the seat and no flip-down small table with which to set-up my machine so I slept upright and even then woke myself up snoring. I travel long haul internationally quite a bit, and I'm used to getting at least 4 hours of CPAP time.

I know this is basically "rich people's problems", but I'll never fly that 1-2-1 in UC configuration again because, in this respect, it was a waste of money and would have been better served to fly in Premium Economy since I couldn't use my CPAP.

Side Note: I tried using my CPAP on a JFK-LAX in JetBlue Mint last month and the seat was great for sitting but not at all good for sleeping. I may try it again but using a thin blow-up mattress to even out the awkward angles produced by the seat in sleeping position.

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I called Delta and spoke to a CS rep in that department. He happen to also use a CPAP and since I won't be flying in DL1, but in C+, I should be fine as he flies that way. There will be no issue bringing on the machine. I will have a doctor letter for both issues. Sleeping upright will be ok for me, I guess. For the few hours I may sleep, I'll be fine. It's laying flat on my back is when I have issues.

Last edited by backdoc; Apr 3, 2017 at 1:10 am
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:29 am

TATL without CPAP isn't a fun experience, I would try and use your CPAP in C+. I've found that 3M Command hooks work really well if you stick them to the wall or window to act as a hose hanger. If you're interested I can post photographs on my flight home on April 9.

I had arranged with Virgin Atlantic to use my CPAP on VS2 (EWR-LHR) the day before yesterday. I'd forgotten how little space the pods in this configuration of Upper Class have, there is no space, no ledge behind the seat and no flip-down small table with which to set-up my machine so I slept upright and even then woke myself up snoring. I travel long haul internationally quite a bit, and I'm used to getting at least 4 hours of CPAP time.

I know this is basically "rich people's problems", but I'll never fly that 1-2-1 in UC configuration again because, in this respect, it was a waste of money and would have been better served to fly in Premium Economy since I couldn't use my CPAP.

Side Note: I tried using my CPAP on a JFK-LAX in JetBlue Mint last month and the seat was great for sitting but not at all good for sleeping. I may try it again but using a thin blow-up mattress to even out the awkward angles produced by the seat in sleeping position.
I'll try to use the CPAP but I won't have a battery. I'm in the first row of C+, hopefully there will be room.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:02 pm

Not so much CPAP plane travel related but went to eye doc today. Seems the exhaust air from the Amara view mask is drying out my eyes and caused an issue. So now I'll need to sleep with eye mask on.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:13 pm

Doh!

If its not one thing, its another! I'm having TMJ issues with my TAP mask.

Not so much CPAP plane travel related but went to eye doc today. Seems the exhaust air from the Amara view mask is drying out my eyes and caused an issue. So now I'll need to sleep with eye mask on.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
It's always something - SNL
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1
S8 AutoElite II can be used on JAL - in specific the JAL 5 JFK to Narita flight on the 777 business class section
bn chung cư no-08 giang bin , chung cư long bin gi rẻ , chung cư 187 ty sơn , chung cư 187 ty sơn đống đa

Last edited by duchanhld; Apr 20, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.