Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Did I just throw away a perfectly good ...

Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

can of Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes? I haven't used them before, the fire roasted ones - we got it nearly free with a coupon. The wife opened the can and it had lots of black specks, throughout the can. I told her it was probably the charring, they are fire roasted, after all. She studied the can - no mention of charring, no picture of any either - and made me look on the internet. No mention of any charred particles or notes about appearance on Muir Glen's website. The can was in perfect condition, no dents, no rust, etc.

Academic at this point, as the contents of the can went down the disposal. But I'm very curious if I've squandered a buck or so of perfectly good product or just saved ourselves from a very bad fate. Anybody eaten these and care to comment?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Fire roasted = black specks. From my experience, it's totally normal char.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What dartagnan said.

The fire roasted tomatoes have char marks. Surprisingly.

Maybe it needs a warning label.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:39 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by deubster
Anybody eaten these and care to comment?
I have eaten these, as others have stated, char specks/flecks are normal, like in some jars of roasted peppers. Buy another can^
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Yes, they were fine but they make you fat. I have eaten charred peppers such as those you threw away, on many occasions. I need to lose weight. Therefore, charred peppers make you fat. Good thing you threw them away.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smile

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Yes, they were fine but they make you fat. I have eaten charred peppers such as those you threw away, on many occasions. I need to lose weight. Therefore, charred peppers make you fat. Good thing you threw them away.
What other veggies are next on the makes you fat list?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Yes, as noted above, Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes have char. Maybe its just me but I find that they have an unpleasant flavor. I roast my own tomatoes and char them..... so I am not at all sure what it is I do not like about the Muir Glen fire roasted. I think their unroasted tomatoes taste fine... just one person's opinion...
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Obviously, before discarding a can fancy roasted tomatoes, you may need to discard your current wife. She's likely not without a speck or two.

Just as Poblano, Bell and other "peppers" can be "roasted" oven, stove top or grill....

There will be black specks, more than specks to start with.... Tomatoes can be treated the same way. Yum, good! Then there's smoking ripe jalapenos, from which cometh "Chipotles".
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by nerd
OK - I do know the difference between fruit and vegetables. But this reminds me of the TV programme I once saw on morbidly obese people. One person was reported as saying that he didn't understand how he was morbidly obese since he only ate oranges. It turned out he ate 50 of them a day. The person telling the anecdote said - if you eat 50 of anything, you're going to become obese.

To the OP - yes, you did throw away a perfectly good tin of tomatoes. But if that's the worst thing that happens to you this year you're a lucky man. Learn from it, but don't dwell on it.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
they have an elaborate video on their website that shows the fire roasting process...they may have to spend some of that money for a better picture on the can
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Xelint
they have an elaborate video on their website that shows the fire roasting process...they may have to spend some of that money for a better picture on the can
Maybe... maybe not. They just sold the O/P two cans. So perhaps a little fear in the buyer, followed by an explanation on a IBB, followed by another purchase, is better for the company...
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:31 am

What dartagnan Maybe it needs a warning label.
To wit: @:-)

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: Skyteam

Fried tomatos
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by 767-322ETOPS
To wit: @:-)

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Don't give them any ideas!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

French Fries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.