Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 18, 08, 6:00 pm   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Brooklyn & ATL, though sometimes in SLC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. Bite me.
Is there such a thing as a food warmer that can be powered by a car's lighter outlet?

I'm spending the winter in Utah, being a ski bum. Consequently I'm broke, and can't eat out all the time, especially not at over-priced on-the-mountain restaurants.

I'm finding myself eating sandwiches every day for lunch, when what I really want is a warm meal. But I have no way of heating anything up, short of putting a plate on top of the engine and waiting.

Is there such a thing as a food warmer that can be plugged into the lighter outlet in my truck?

Many thanks for all your suggestions...
Old Dec 18, 08, 6:55 pm   #2

Programs: DL Platinum, CO Gold, US Platinum, Starwood Gold
Search google for car food warmer. Lots of choices. Some will keep food as hot as 140 degrees. These are warmers not stoves or cookers.
Old Dec 18, 08, 7:16 pm   #3
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Many if not most thermoelectric coolers will also have a warming mode to keep food warm. They are not really meant to bring food up to servicng temperature, they are more for keeping warm food warm.

A visit to a truck stop will show you quite a selection of 12 volt appliances that are meant to cook food. I would use camping gear myself, but the open flames must be used outdoors.
Oxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 08, 8:45 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Brooklyn & ATL, though sometimes in SLC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. Bite me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxb View Post
Many if not most thermoelectric coolers will also have a warming mode to keep food warm. They are not really meant to bring food up to servicng temperature, they are more for keeping warm food warm.

A visit to a truck stop will show you quite a selection of 12 volt appliances that are meant to cook food. I would use camping gear myself, but the open flames must be used outdoors.
Truck stop! Of course! Great idea!

Thank you both for your responses.
Old Dec 19, 08, 8:24 am   #5

Programs: UA Silver, US, DL, AA, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton, Starwood, Membership Rewards
Coleman also makes (or made) a cooler that can keep food warm or cold, depending on how you make the connection to the power outlet (so I guess that actually makes it a cooler or a warmer). I have one and it's been great, especially for longer trips and tailgate parties. You do need to plug it in a day or so in advance to get it to temperature, but once there, it does a nice job. Runs off of the car battery or a household socket.
dchristiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 08, 12:25 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Since you mentioned you’re on a budget, shopping for something like this at a truck stop would yield you the highest prices, since they tend to have a captive audience.
Old Dec 19, 08, 1:03 pm   #7

Pep boys has them. lots of choices.
Old Dec 20, 08, 4:09 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA GS, 0.8MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsosmart View Post
Truck stop! Of course! Great idea!

Thank you both for your responses.
You can also pick up a really cool mesh baseball hat that says "Truckers do it on the highway."
Old Dec 20, 08, 4:23 am   #9

Programs: Welfare
Or some mudflaps with chrome girls on them.
Mongah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 08, 12:44 am   #10

Programs: Priceline Master Negotiator; Hotwire Express; Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Wirelessly posted (Some *** smartphone: BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Truck stops often do have competitive prices for stuff, and some have internet stores, try flyingj.com . The thermal-chip units will do nicely for heating sandwiches. Just don't use them for cooling anything.
mbstone is offline   Reply With Quote