Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is there such a thing as a food warmer that can be powered by a car's lighter outlet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there such a thing as a food warmer that can be powered by a car's lighter outlet?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.

I'm spending the winter in Utah, being a ski bum. Consequently I'm broke, and can't eat out all the time, especially not at over-priced on-the-mountain restaurants.

I'm finding myself eating sandwiches every day for lunch, when what I really want is a warm meal. But I have no way of heating anything up, short of putting a plate on top of the engine and waiting.

Is there such a thing as a food warmer that can be plugged into the lighter outlet in my truck?

Many thanks for all your suggestions...
Old Dec 18, 2008, 6:55 pm

Search google for car food warmer. Lots of choices. Some will keep food as hot as 140 degrees. These are warmers not stoves or cookers.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:16 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Many if not most thermoelectric coolers will also have a warming mode to keep food warm. They are not really meant to bring food up to servicng temperature, they are more for keeping warm food warm.

A visit to a truck stop will show you quite a selection of 12 volt appliances that are meant to cook food. I would use camping gear myself, but the open flames must be used outdoors.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Oxb
Many if not most thermoelectric coolers will also have a warming mode to keep food warm. They are not really meant to bring food up to servicng temperature, they are more for keeping warm food warm.

A visit to a truck stop will show you quite a selection of 12 volt appliances that are meant to cook food. I would use camping gear myself, but the open flames must be used outdoors.
Truck stop! Of course! Great idea!

Thank you both for your responses. ^^
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Coleman also makes (or made) a cooler that can keep food warm or cold, depending on how you make the connection to the power outlet (so I guess that actually makes it a cooler or a warmer). I have one and it's been great, especially for longer trips and tailgate parties. You do need to plug it in a day or so in advance to get it to temperature, but once there, it does a nice job. Runs off of the car battery or a household socket.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Since you mentioned you’re on a budget, shopping for something like this at a truck stop would yield you the highest prices, since they tend to have a captive audience.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pep boys has them. lots of choices.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by notsosmart
Truck stop! Of course! Great idea!

Thank you both for your responses. ^^
You can also pick up a really cool mesh baseball hat that says "Truckers do it on the highway."
Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:23 am

Programs: Welfare
Or some mudflaps with chrome girls on them.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:44 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Wirelessly posted (Some *** smartphone: BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Truck stops often do have competitive prices for stuff, and some have internet stores, try flyingj.com . The thermal-chip units will do nicely for heating sandwiches. Just don't use them for cooling anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.