Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jackal
I don't get the Smashburger love from folks. Granted, I've only ever been to the EWR Terminal C one (3x) and one somewhere else in North Jersey, but the burger was nothing special and indeed rather dry and flavorless, as I recall. What's the draw there?
Sin City Burger and garlic rosemary fries.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
Five Guys is kind of ugh. The twin patty concept plus the fries overload is too much. And as soon as the food starts to cool off the flavor disappears. Especially the fries. This food is also amazingly odiferous; if you transport it in your car the car will stink for days. God help the fool who forgets to ask for the plastic bag before putting this stuff in the car. The grease soaked paper bag will contaminate the carpet in a heartbeat.

Maybe I'm just lucky to be here in Northern VA. I'd already had my fill of Five Guys long before the franchising & expansion started. Even then it was heartburn city.

These days about the only thing I can stomach from this place is the dog. It's actually pretty good.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I just had Five Guys for lunch. ugh. it was just ok. burger gets pretty soggy if you don't eat it right away. same for the fries.

In-N-Out, The Counter, Habit, all better places.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
Love five guys. Luckily in North Jersey there are lots to choose from.

Just heard about a new chain, based in the west coast that just opened in River Edge and Fair Lawn NJ so will have to see how they stack up.

OT but had the best burger in the northeast last week in NYC at Umoni on 10th St. and 6 th ave. they have ketchup with truffle oil in it.
What's the new chain?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Dudemius
Five Guys is kind of ugh. The twin patty concept plus the fries overload is too much.
You realize that you can order it with one patty, right?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K (Pure AS)
Patty Melt?

I think that, among the fast food burgers in our area, Five Guys is among the better ones. But I read an article recently about somewhat off-menu options there, and saw that you can order a grilled cheese there and have them add a burger patty - effectively making a patty melt.

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but wondered if anybody here has given it a whirl. Seems like it might be tasty!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
So I was just at the Burj Khalifa two days ago and they have a big sign that a Five Guys is coming! Crazy!.

https://www.zomato.com/dubai/five-guys-dubai-mall
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I'd rank local & national chains as follows:
  • Nations
  • Five Guys
  • In-n-Out
  • Wendy's
  • BK
  • White Castle
  • McD's

Nations is a local chain here in the east bay, one of the few that still serves thick burgers rare on request. Like the 5 guys choice of condiments but $5 is pretty pricey for a thin patty. In-n-out is probably the best value for money but again there is no option for a thick juicy burger. Though the fries rule (also good at 5 guys). Another strike against 5 guys is lack of a low price option. I often bring my kids who don't eat much and are happy with $1 McD burger. McDs would probably close down if they did not offer kids menu.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I've found myself preferring Five Guys more than In-N-Out lately. That's partly because I live down the street from the latter and got sick of them at one point, but also because I like the topping choices at FG a lot better. I usually get "everything + BBQ" and it turns out good. Oh, and the cajun fries are miles better than In-N-Out's fries too. ^

That said, FG costs a fair bit more and is farther so In-N-Out wins most of the time whenever I feel like a burger.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stopped in my second Five Guys and had a much better burger than the first time. It wasn't overcooked, and I could kind of see what the fuss was about. I still think the price point is too high, and perhaps quality control can be an issue, but a good Five Guys burger is, well, good!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I discovered Five Guys many years ago when I had too much time to spend in IAD. Wow! We now go often when in the US, and the kids love it. Funny, in the UK the meat tastes greasy and (understandably) less flavourful.

The only place I've been to recently that beats 5G (by a mile) is The Company Burger in New Orleans. That place is in my top three of all time.

Last edited by LondonElite; May 1, 2015 at 1:41 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Tried it for the first time yesterday. Loved the burger and the fries, but the regular cheeseburger is huge (and I'm a pretty big guy) and the price is a bit much... like CAD $16 for cheesburger, fries and Coke. Next time I'll just do the burger since I threw most of the fries away anyway. Or maybe I'll just get the little cheeseburger and little fries... we'll see

It was certainly a delicious burger though... top notch. In contrast to what others have said, mine was a bit on the medium-rare side as compared to well done.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
FG burger's are fine, albeit pricy, but not a fan of the regularly undercooked fries. In-and-Out generally good. Counter is very good, and pretty reliable.

RE: the lingering aroma, was on a non-stop flight from IAD-LAX in the row ahead of a guy with a FG takeout order. Yes, the aroma does linger...all 5 hours.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by jacknyoc
FG burger's are fine, albeit pricy, but not a fan of the regularly undercooked fries. In-and-Out generally good. Counter is very good, and pretty reliable.

RE: the lingering aroma, was on a non-stop flight from IAD-LAX in the row ahead of a guy with a FG takeout order. Yes, the aroma does linger...all 5 hours.
Exactly. Burgers are good, fries are not.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ShowerRing
Exactly. Burgers are good, fries are not.
I really like the Five Guys cajun fries. The couple of times I've had In-N-Out the fries had a texture that I can't quite describe but I didn't really like them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.