Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by Madone59
I think the fries are cloyingly salty, and the burgers are sloppy. The smell of it at the early hours of the morning on the IAD A terminal turns me green after a Red-Eye.
Sloppily made or drippy sloppy? It took me 3 times before I got my 5 guys burger the way I wanted it. They certainly have different ideas about quantities of items on the burger than most places. Now that I know how to order it, they are pretty good. I still prefer In-n-Out for burgers, and 5 guys for fries. Better yet, my local drive-in joint (formally an A&W) for both, or best ever, http://www.galaxyhamburgers.com/ especially for their Pastrami Burger. Perfection.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About a year ago, I went into one in Chantilly with a colleague for lunch. It was his favorite lunch place. I could hear my arteries clogging just walking into the place and smelling the grease. I bought a diet coke and watched him eat the greasy burger and fries.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
About a year ago, I went into one in Chantilly with a colleague for lunch. It was his favorite lunch place. I could hear my arteries clogging just walking into the place and smelling the grease. I bought a diet coke and watched him eat the greasy burger and fries.
I have for a while wondered what the fuss was, but I've never got past the door because the smell and all the plastic is just repulsive.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Where have you been? Fat good, carbs bad these days!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:22 am
Suspended

Since I have been losing a lot of weight the past couple of years (I've dropped over 120 pounds, from around 290 to just under 170), I haven't had a Five Guys burger in that time. But I do eat their veggie sandwich, which I love. It's basically exactly the way I used to order my burgers there, but without the actual burger patty. It's basically a sauteed onions and mushroom sandwich with cheese.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:56 am

thought it was ok, but overpriced. rather go to a local place and get better food for cheaper. I don't need peanuts.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
It's better than McDonald's or Burger King.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
It's better than McDonald's or Burger King.
For 2x the cost (or more), it had better be!

OTOH, I don't think it really competes with them (except for their occasional and rather comical attempts at "premium burgers"), and I think it only competes with In'n'Out in that they're regional brands which (prior to 5 Guys trying to expand everywhere, it seems) people seem to go out of their way for.

If you look at 5 Guys as a chain version of a local burger joint serving something more like a diner burger, it's pretty good, but many of us are lucky enough to have better local options.

If you look at 5 Guys as a hipster-friendly "nicer fast food," it's pretty darn good, but compared to actual fast food it's really expensive.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS
Not a fan of the fries at Five Guys, but I am a huge fan of being able to pick my toppings at no extra charge. Onions? NO THANKS. Mushrooms? YES PLEASE.

I do find it strange though that the refill policy changes from store to store. Some allow free refills only on the largest sized cup, but others allow it on any size.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by kyden
I do find it strange though that the refill policy changes from store to store. Some allow free refills only on the largest sized cup, but others allow it on any size.
I wonder if some of that is a matter of proximity to schools or other places kids or teenagers hang out; from what I've seen (in general; never seen this at 5 guys), sensitivity to abuse of refills goes hand in hand with a lot of kids/teenagers around.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I thought that it was standard to allow refills while still in the store as long as there's a drink dispenser accessible to customers. (The ones here have touchscreen Coke machines; perhaps there are some locations with machines behind the counter instead?)
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Not a fan of the fries at Five Guys, but I am a huge fan of being able to pick my toppings at no extra charge. Onions? NO THANKS. Mushrooms? YES PLEASE.

I actually like their fries. Every location I've been to (except IAD airport and mall food courts) has had free refills on any size.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:22 pm

Five Guys isn't exactly *superb* but it's pretty good as far as chains go. The funny thing is that basically all American burger places, from your local diner to chains like Carls Jr., are better than the one chain that is globally available, McDonald's.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Not a fast food fan but better than Maccy Dees -aka McDonalds or BK
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
5 Guys Rocks, their employees are Happy, and treat you Well.

You can always order a single, any way you like it,

I take extra peanuts and give them to the squirrels at home, in the yard....

I can not eat them every day, 2 times a week works for me.

INDY has 5 locations, the workers are always happy, and they serve a great product...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.