Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by ShowerRing
Exactly. Burgers are good, fries are not.
I've heard they are inconsistent. I've only had them twice and they were very good both times. Best I've had at any burger chain. I noticed both times that they were cooking them properly, that is frying them until about halfway done then hanging the basket for several minutes before finishing them off. Maybe when they are really busy they don't have time for this crucial step?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They actually have a three step process for their fries.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
They actually have a three step process for their fries.
Well now, you just made me do an extensive google search and I'll be darned if I can find the 3rd step.

Help us out here please.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by braslvr
Well now, you just made me do an extensive google search and I'll be darned if I can find the 3rd step.

Help us out here please.
Is it this?

French fries must be shaken 15 times exactly.

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/...rillist-nation (#12)
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I really like the Five Guys cajun fries. The couple of times I've had In-N-Out the fries had a texture that I can't quite describe but I didn't really like them.
I'm not especially fond of the fries at either, but definitely prefer Five Guys. They're at least not insubstantial shoestring-thin.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nkedel
I'm not especially fond of the fries at either, but definitely prefer Five Guys. They're at least not insubstantial shoestring-thin.
Yeah the In-N-Out fries seem to have a tough cardboard texture to them. Someone had told me it is because they don't soak the fries to remove starch like most places.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Yeah the In-N-Out fries seem to have a tough cardboard texture to them. Someone had told me it is because they don't soak the fries to remove starch like most places.
They're too thin, but the bigger problem is that they don't double fry them. I accidentally duplicated them every time I made homemade fries for years until I finally figured it out.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
So my daughters are now into hamburgers, after hating them for the first several years of their lives (now 7 and 9).

Daughter 1's burger place rankings:
1-t: Red Robin and Five Guys
2: Smashburger
3: Wendy's
4: Tom & Eddie's
5: McDonald's

Daughter 2:
1: Smashburger
2: Red Robin
3: Five Guys
4: Tom & Eddie's
5: Wendy's
6: McDonald's

In the french fry rankings, they both agree that five guys is best, followed by McD's!

For me, in order to make it worth it, I pretty regularly put quite a bit on them - lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, mayo, and mustard. Pretty pricey. Oftentimes, I even get the small
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
1-t: Red Robin and Five Guys

2: Red Robin
IMO, Red Robin has been extremely disappointing starting about two years ago. The burgers have become very bland. Their fries are still great, though.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
IMO, Red Robin has been extremely disappointing starting about two years ago. The burgers have become very bland. Their fries are still great, though.
Is that when they started attempting to make their experience all upscale and everything?

The only thing I ever order at RR is the Bleu Ribbon burger, and they haven't seemed to screw that up yet, so I'm happy. I tried the garlic herb fries last time I was there and I don't regret ordering them, though I wasn't as impressed as I was hoping to be. I'm happy with the regular Red Robin fries with a healthy dash of their seasoning salt sprinkled over them.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jackal
Is that when they started attempting to make their experience all upscale and everything?

The only thing I ever order at RR is the Bleu Ribbon burger, and they haven't seemed to screw that up yet, so I'm happy. I tried the garlic herb fries last time I was there and I don't regret ordering them, though I wasn't as impressed as I was hoping to be. I'm happy with the regular Red Robin fries with a healthy dash of their seasoning salt sprinkled over them.
I opt for the A1 Peppercorn burger, but swap out the Pepper-Jack for Bleu Cheese.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:54 pm

The single burger I had I really enjoyed but thought it was overpriced
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:58 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jeremylives
The single burger I had I really enjoyed but thought it was overpriced
I've been getting hot dogs there recently. They're really good, but very expensive. I would normally grill my own, but I don't have a grill at the moment.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I think the fries are cloyingly salty, and the burgers are sloppy. The smell of it at the early hours of the morning on the IAD A terminal turns me green after a Red-Eye.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I like the fries with cajun spice. Burger is fine though overpriced IMO. I also strongly dislike American cheese and wish they had other options (cheddar would suffice).

Definitely prefer Smashburger though I put Five Guys much higher than In N Out (never been a fan, too greasy and small)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.