Wiki Posts
Search

Best French Onion Soup in USA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2007, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Best French Onion Soup in USA

Hi All,

I've decided to blog all of the French Onion Soup I've eaten (for fun). I read a thread on here that talked about the best F.O.S. in NYC, but I'd like to hear from others about their favorites at other places around the country (so I can have an excuse to visit).

Feel free to check out what I've done so far in the last couple of weeks at http://www.theonionsoup.com

Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2007, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Part of it was the envions...

But the best French Onion Soup is as served at the Dickens Christmas Fair back when it was on Pier 49 in San Francisco. Of course, it didn't hurt that it was served in a toasted bread bowl made with a Boudin Sourdough Mini-loaf filled with a generous ladle of grill carmelized onions & beef stock, crutons, and a generous broiled Emmentaller cheese crust.

The warmth filled you to the toes... ^
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:16 pm

Wiederkehr's Weinkeller Restaurant

Weinkeller's which is on grounds of the Wiederkehr's Wine Cellars close Altus, AR. Altus is off I-40 about 45 miles east of Fort Smith, AR or 120 miles west of Little Rock. They have great French onion soup, along with smoked pork loin, wurst, schnitzel, Swiss fondue and other French-Swiss-German dishes served by waitresses in dirndls. It's on the National Register of Historic Places, the wine cellar on the property was hand dug in 1880 by the founder of the winery, Johann Wiederkehr.

http://www.wiederkehrwines.com/
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
Weinkeller's which is on grounds of the Wiederkehr's Wine Cellars close Altus, AR. Altus is off I-40 about 45 miles east of Fort Smith, AR or 120 miles west of Little Rock. They have great French onion soup, along with smoked pork loin, wurst, schnitzel, Swiss fondue and other French-Swiss-German dishes served by waitresses in dirndls. It's on the National Register of Historic Places, the wine cellar on the property was hand dug in 1880 by the founder of the winery, Johann Wiederkehr.

http://www.wiederkehrwines.com/
That sounds very yummy...but wasn't Altus, AR where they filmed the first Simple Life???? Sounds very familiar.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
La Bon Soup in NYC, and a little french restruant in Williston Park, NY...Of chains, TGI Fridays actually is pretty decent. :-)
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:21 pm

Oscar's in the Waldorf Astoria, NYC.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
The best I've had is at Kiki's Bistro in Chicago.

http://www.restaurant.com/microsite.asp?rid=305075

Kiki was a school chum of Bernard Fournier of Le Petit Colombier in Paris - supposedly the favorite restaurant of Francois Mitterand. It has a lovely private dining room upstairs where he would allegedly take his private party, which did not include his wife.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:25 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
While not in the US the best onion soup I have ever had was in North America-In Montreal at au Pied du Couchon.It was amazingly wonderful
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I make a mean FOS myself. With the proper ingredients, it's hard to mess up. Any seasoning hints to make mine better? My apologies to the OP if this is too much of a hijack.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by aviators99
That sounds very yummy...but wasn't Altus, AR where they filmed the first Simple Life???? Sounds very familiar.
Altus, Alma, Ozark, somewhere in there. I didn't watch more than about 10 or 15 minutes of that show so I couldn't say for sure. It is beautiful scenery at Wiederkehr's, it's built on top of St. Mary's Mountain.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I make a mean FOS myself. With the proper ingredients, it's hard to mess up. Any seasoning hints to make mine better? My apologies to the OP if this is too much of a hijack.
I have no problem with the hijack, as long as you invite me over for soup.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Here's the list of places to try so far...some from this thread, others from private e-mail and web searches:

Mon Ami Gabi - LV (Tried tonight! New new number 3!)
Monsieur Marcel Restaurant & Wine Bar - L.A.
Bubba's Pot Belly Stove - Quaker, PA
Bistro Cassis - Huntington, NY
Camille's - Carle Place, NY
La Coquille - Manhasset, NY
L'Endriot - East Hills, NY
Heirloom - Locust Valley, NY
Buster's Restaurant and Bar - Flagstaff, AZ
Doughboys Cafe - L.A.
Cafe Bastille - SF
Main Course Family Restaurant - Litchfield, CT
French 75 - L.A.
Pleasant Peasant - Atlanta
Mark's East Side - Appleton, WI
JeanRo Bistro - Cincinnatti
Cafe Bellagio - LV
Brasserie Margaux - Seattle
Place Pigalle - Seattle
Corkscrew Cafe - Dahlonega, GA
La Bonne Soup, NY
Balthazar, NY
The Brasserie, NY
LCB Brasserie Rachou, NY
L'Express, NY
Pastis, NY
Wiederkehr Wine Cellers, Altus, AR
Oscar's in the Waldorf Astoria, NYC
Kiki's Bistro in Chicago
Pied du Couchon - Montreal
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:09 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
The Tap Room @ The Lodge at Pebbble Beach.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I always liked the one at the Pleasant Peasant on Peachtree in Atlanta.

When traveling, I'll sometimes get the TGI Friday's one in the Philippines, as it's a pretty good approximation of the U.S. version.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Same here... I like my own more than others, and I can have as much of it as I want. I like my FOS simple so no herbs... just some salt and pepper. Flavor comes from stock, wine, and onions (and Gruyere, of course... oops, this is French, so that should be Comte).

Originally Posted by RustyC
I always liked the one at the Pleasant Peasant on Peachtree in Atlanta.
Do you know if it's the same Pleasant Peasant that's in Newport Beach, a few minutes from SNA? I've been meaning to try it out.

Originally Posted by RustyC
When traveling, I'll sometimes get the TGI Friday's one in the Philippines, as it's a pretty good approximation of the U.S. version.
The U.S. version?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.